• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

What about knorks?

kenn.jpg

I now know that the teaspoon placed in my sock drawer is actually a coffee spoon. This may explain the lack of sock activity.

However all my tights in a tangle - real Gordian Knot job which is not a good thing on a cold dark morning when you are trying to rouse the household.

Tights are in next drawer down

I have a Spork which also has a knife edge- impossible to name or use.
I suggest you call it a Spnork. Is it metal or plastic and does it ever come into close contact with your socks?

Swifty...BACK ON PAGE TWO......... It's on our back garden fence at the moment.[/QUOTE]

why?? why would you put a spoon on your back garden fence?? lol

Swifty...BACK ON PAGE TWO......... It's on our back garden fence at the moment.

why?? why would you put a spoon on your back garden fence?? lol[/QUOTE]

Because you never know when a contact lens will move to the back of the eye.
In such a field situation, you spit on the spoon to cleanse it, scoop out the eye, fish around the socket for the contact lens, remove it and then pop the eye back in and then replace the lens. That’s why you need a garden teaspoon.

why?? why would you put a spoon on your back garden fence?? lol

The neighbours put a new fence up separating our back gardens because the wind had blown most of it down .. when it was put up, they got the flat side and we got the side with the supporting horizontal wood supports so I started using them for outside shelves.

I was the first one to spot the spoon when me and the Mrs went beach combing one day but I just wrote it off as probably just a normal tea spoon at that time ..

She noticed it later when we walked across the same area, I looked at it a bit closer and noticed it had/has a much thinner and also less practical but at the same time more stylish very thin join between the handle .. so it was/is very clearly old ..

It was covered in green oxidisation looking colouring, I cleaned that off by soaking it in vinegar and shaking it a few times and then I was able to read a maker's mark, I researched that and dated it to somewhere between 1890 and 1910 (or somewhere roundabout those eras).

Please don't ask for a pic of it anytime soon because we had our guttering done for leaves over 6 months ago so the fence had to come down with it on it, and snore snore etc ..

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows?
I laboured on with my five teaspoons, until a recent visit from my brother (not a known teaspoon supplier). After he'd left, I found I was back to six teaspoons. And no, he didn't see fit to buy me a spoon, nor did he leave one of his own spoons (I don't even think he does travel with spoons, but who knows?). These spoons match. The missing spoon returns, hooray!

As of today, I have seven teaspoons. I just went to the teaspoon pot, where they live on my window ledge, and another one has arrived. Again, it matches the rest, is clean and unstained, and nobody except me has been in the house for weeks. Either the dogs are secret teaspoon smugglers, or the buggers are breeding.
A couple of years ago I bought (or, to be accurate was bought) a set of teaspoons. Six, basic, ordinary teaspoons to replace the bastards that have crept away over the years. Within moments, I was down to five teaspoons - one thrown out, fell down the back of a cupboard, who knows?
I laboured on with my five teaspoons, until a recent visit from my brother (not a known teaspoon supplier). After he'd left, I found I was back to six teaspoons. And no, he didn't see fit to buy me a spoon, nor did he leave one of his own spoons (I don't even think he does travel with spoons, but who knows?). These spoons match. The missing spoon returns, hooray!

As of today, I have seven teaspoons. I just went to the teaspoon pot, where they live on my window ledge, and another one has arrived. Again, it matches the rest, is clean and unstained, and nobody except me has been in the house for weeks. Either the dogs are secret teaspoon smugglers, or the buggers are breeding.
Freemason games happening at your house as it does most places.

The neighbours put a new fence up separating our back gardens because the wind had blown most of it down .. when it was put up, they got the flat side and we got the side with the supporting horizontal wood supports so I started using them for outside shelves.

I was the first one to spot the spoon when me and the Mrs went beach combing one day but I just wrote it off as probably just a normal tea spoon at that time ..

She noticed it later when we walked across the same area, I looked at it a bit closer and noticed it had/has a much thinner and also less practical but at the same time more stylish very thin join between the handle .. so it was/is very clearly old ..

It was covered in green oxidisation looking colouring, I cleaned that off by soaking it in vinegar and shaking it a few times and then I was able to read a maker's mark, I researched that and dated it to somewhere between 1890 and 1910 (or somewhere roundabout those eras).

Please don't ask for a pic of it anytime soon because we had our guttering done for leaves over 6 months ago so the fence had to come down with it on it, and snore snore etc ..
When you say "anytime soon" does that mean you still have the wooden shelf-like pieces and thus have the spoon somewhere, but it's too much of a pain in the posterior to find it? It's a shame, because I was indeed just about to ask for a pic.

When you say "anytime soon" does that mean you still have the wooden shelf-like pieces and thus have the spoon somewhere, but it's too much of a pain in the posterior to find it? It's a shame, because I was indeed just about to ask for a pic.
She's found the spoon and will arrange for that pic, she's put it back on on our back fence and put some sea glass in it now.

Oooh, sounds like that pic will be pretty! Thank her for me.
I will thanks Kate and don't expect just one pic from her, she'll do a few. She told me off because just after we found it in its glorious oxidised green coloured state, I soaked it in vinegar which ruined the nature formed colour of it .. but that was because there's a maker's mark on it which dates it to late 19th to early 20th century and I wouldn't have been able to read it if I hadn't soaked it in vinegar.

I will thanks Kate and don't expect just one pic from her, she'll do a few. She told me off because just after we found it in its glorious oxidised green coloured state, I soaked it in vinegar which ruined the nature formed colour of it .. but that was because there's a maker's mark on it which dates it to late 19th to early 20th century and I wouldn't have been able to read it if I hadn't soaked it in vinegar.
LOL!! You were in the doghouse. Did she call it a "patina" and insist that it's worth less now as an antique, or was it merely her personal aesthetic taste?

LOL!! You were in the doghouse. Did she call it a "patina" and insist that it's worth less now as an antique, or was it merely her personal aesthetic taste?
We all know the oxidised green colour will return .. it was her personal aesthetic taste Kate. She had a good point but then how the hell else would we ever discover how old the spoon was, which company made it etc? .. I like to think I own (on this forum at least and within this thread) the earliest example of a spoon that was randomly lost and then has been randomly found a century later.

It's also embossed as 'Stainless Nickel Silver'.

Last edited:
What a lovely spoon-appearing phenomenon to have been a part of! Although maybe an even lovelier thought would be if the spoon-losing person intentionally planted it in the hope that someone would find it a hundred years later. Like a message in a bottle. Also, I think the vinegar treatment was perfectly justified, which is to say, I would have done exactly the same thing.

What a lovely spoon-appearing phenomenon to have been a part of! Although maybe an even lovelier thought would be if the spoon-losing person intentionally planted it in the hope that someone would find it a hundred years later. Like a message in a bottle. Also, I think the vinegar treatment was perfectly justified, which is to say, I would have done exactly the same thing.
Jesus Christ Kate, don't let my Mrs hear you agreeing with me! .. and possibly more exciting, it might be from of one of the many ship wrecks our area of the coast has been traditionally famous for .. or it could have just been an early example of someone stealing from an early Cromer hotel bed and breakfast? .. this is roughly the area we found it (except on the beach obviously) with a suitably time appropriate photograph.

The woman on the left looks like she was picking her nose and I wonder why the woman on the right was running? .. spoon related?

acromerlion.jpg

Yikes! OK, I'll make it a point to disagree with you vociferously from now on.

What a wonderful photograph! However, I don't believe the lady on the left (wearing black? in mourning?) was picking her nose. I think she raised her finger to the side of her nose in one of those thoughtful poses. I can just imagine her thinking, "Now, what the blazes happened to that spoon?!?" The woman on the right is running because she took the Sad Lady's spoon and hid it in the sand on the beach and she's not quite sure if she was spotted doing so.

Yeah, that's the ticket!

Yikes! OK, I'll make it a point to disagree with you vociferously from now on.

What a wonderful photograph! However, I don't believe the lady on the left (wearing black? in mourning?) was picking her nose. I think she raised her finger to the side of her nose in one of those thoughtful poses. I can just imagine her thinking, "Now, what the blazes happened to that spoon?!?" The woman on the right is running because she took the Sad Lady's spoon and hid it in the sand on the beach and she's not quite sure if she was spotted doing so.

Yeah, that's the ticket!
I think perhaps the lady on the left who looks like she's picking her nose is actually a time traveller and has suddenly remembered she hasn't taken her nose piercing out. The Woman on the right has just spotted it and is running away in fear. The time travelling woman went back in time to plant the spoon that she has yet to steal from our back fence. Yes. That's probably it.

Maybe it's just spoons in general.
Last year I found a salt spoon on top of some compost in the back yard.
It's not something I use, so maybe a bird had dropped it.
I was just thinking I don't know what became of it after I brought it in to clean it so maybe it has travelled somewhere else.

Here's the spoon in question, she's still a bit cross that I cleaned it ..

aspoon01.jpg

aspoon02.jpg

aspoon03.jpg

I'll need to re find our magnifying glass to tell you the exact details on the back of it but take my word for it, the hallmark dates it to somewhere between the 1890's and 1910. :sherlock:

Last edited:
If it's an actual silver hallmark it'll include indicate the date.
It is an actual silver hallmark and yes it did .. I found the details online just after I did my unsanctioned clean up job ;) .. I didn't keep a record of them though. I can't get a sharper in focus pic of the exact hallmark sorry.

edit: good news, the Mrs has found three earlier and more sharply in focus pictures of it .. pre me cleaning it ..

aspoon05.jpg

aspoon04.jpg

aspoon06.jpg

The manufacturers were WEARS WHITE .. I imagine the company gave itself that name because electro silver plating was desirable for people who couldn't afford solid silver (most of us) so the daily WEAR and tear of cleaning them were being promised to remain "white" .. but that's just my theory.

Last edited:
Back