• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This new thread is being established to contain general queries about this website and members' issues arising with regard to its use.

For issues relating to the forum's technical implementation, its functionality, and / or how to utilize its features, it would be more appropriate to post in this other thread:

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nality-technical-problems-known-issues.64966/

This thread replaces the last General Queries thread, which is being retired:

General Website Queries: 2005 - 2017
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/general-website-queries-2005-2017.21630/

Last edited:
Yep.

Just received it.

I believe the individual members can opt out of the function via 'alerts' somewhere in their profile options.
Yep. I've opted out of any such for all and everything.

OK - here's a seemingly random question:

For how long have there been 30 posts on a thread page? I'd always thought it was 25, or even 20, perhaps. Was it always as it is now (and therefore my memory is dodgy), or is it a recent thing?

... For how long have there been 30 posts on a thread page? I'd always thought it was 25, or even 20, perhaps. Was it always as it is now (and therefore my memory is dodgy), or is it a recent thing?

The default maximum number of posts per page is a parameter specific to the given forum software installation. I've seen message board packages in which this parameter is hard-wired, others where it's an administrator-set number, and yet others in which individual users can set their own paging limit.

I assume the FTMB max-posts-per-page parameter has shifted with the transitions from one forum software platform to another.

OK - here's a seemingly random question:

For how long have there been 30 posts on a thread page? I'd always thought it was 25, or even 20, perhaps. Was it always as it is now (and therefore my memory is dodgy), or is it a recent thing?

I couldn't give you a date, but late last autumn I expanded the parameters for pretty much everything in response to a general increase in connection speeds that we hadn't kept up with: more posts per page, more threads per page, larger maximum attachment size, more displayed status posts, more users dispayed on the various ranking charts and more links/embeds per post.

If any of this is an issue, please let me know.

I couldn't give you a date, but late last autumn I expanded the parameters for pretty much everything in response to a general increase in connection speeds that we hadn't kept up with: more posts per page, more threads per page, larger maximum attachment size, more displayed status posts, more users dispayed on the various ranking charts and more links/embeds per post.

If any of this is an issue, please let me know.
It's not an issue, but I did wonder if I was getting forgetful or worse!

I've probably been reading too many "Mandela Effect" threads. Or possibly Mandella, or even Mengele, as I'm sure someone managed to write the other day...

It was 15 posts per page once upon a time, with serious restrictions on sig length, sig pics, avatars... A lot of people were still on dial-up back then though, and over a flaky AOL connection a single page could take an age to load.

I think it's because the source material has been lost.

If you have something to post, I'll unlock it if you like.
I don't personally have anything, but I think it's still discussable.

It was locked because the focal object of reference (a defunct webpage that wasn't archived anywhere) is lost, and the comments about it are rendered nonsensically cryptic. It's a trash thread.

If you want to discuss flat moon theories, start a new thread.

The Brexit conspiracies thread is predictably locked: however I argue that there is a lot to discuss. I know it is 'political' but so is the Trump election thread. If we kept personal political opinions out of it, could it be re-opened?

The Brexit conspiracies thread is predictably locked: however I argue that there is a lot to discuss. I know it is 'political' but so is the Trump election thread. If we kept personal political opinions out of it, could it be re-opened?

I don' t want to unlock it. It's a toxic subject that results in members leaving (and probably others never joining). I'll do so if and only if I'm instructed to by Stu. Multiple members (good ones included) have proved that they are incapable of keeping political opinions out of the debate.

If there is a demand for consistency, I'll meet it by locking the Trump Conspiracy Thread.

I'll refer this request to Stu all the same.

Earlier today on two occasions I was asked if I was sure that I wanted to like a post. Subsequently stopped getting the pop up. That has happened before.
It's happened to me before, as well. I finally figured out I was doing a two-finger tap on my trackpad rather than a single-finger tap, and my laptop was interpreting it as a right-mouse-click rather than a left-mouse-click. Try it for yourself, especially if you often have the equivalent of buyer's remorse after liking someone's post. Henry will thank you for it.

It's happened to me before, as well. I finally figured out I was doing a two-finger tap on my trackpad rather than a single-finger tap, and my laptop was interpreting it as a right-mouse-click rather than a left-mouse-click. Try it for yourself, especially if you often have the equivalent of buyer's remorse after liking someone's post. Henry will thank you for it.

Double tap doesn't produce the effect.

I'm only LIKING your post for those last six words.

I don' t want to unlock it. It's a toxic subject that results in members leaving (and probably others never joining). I'll do so if and only if I'm instructed to by Stu. Multiple members (good ones included) have proved that they are incapable of keeping political opinions out of the debate.

If there is a demand for consistency, I'll meet it by locking the Trump Conspiracy Thread.

I'll refer this request to Stu all the same.

In light of the political aspect of the Trump conspiracy thread, I request that it be locked.

I fail to see how anyone can say it is not political.

INT21.

It's being watched. It would be a shame if the antics of some removed a thread many are interested in, allowing their obsession with making political points overwhelm their desire to make fortean ones.

Why do you want the thread closed rather than letting us know which posts you think have crossed the line?

Frides

Frideswide,

So please explain what is Fortean about the Trump thread, and why it's blatant political stance is acceptable whilst , say, a similar discussion on Brexit isn't.

One could make an argument that the whole Brexit situation is conspiracy.

It's being watched. It would be a shame if the antics of some removed a thread many are interested in, allowing their obsession with making political points overwhelm their desire to make fortean ones.

Why do you want the thread closed rather than letting us know which posts you think have crossed the line?

Frides

I want it locked because it is political. and we are constantly being told 'No Politics'.

I'm not trying to stir the pot but I agree that it is definitely political and not really a 'conspiracy' thread' ,, as a mater of fact I'm American and over here the whole thing has been about politics left and right from day one .
And regarding Fortean....there are many threads on this forum that have nothing to with Fortean topics at all...so is it just 'politics' that is verboten?

Back