• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Documentaries

This is the one that chills me most. Michael Herr's calm soothing tones belie the total offense to the human psyche.
Caution: raw war talk. It ain't funny.

If you're in the UK, I think this will be coming to Channel 4 eventually, but if you get to see Three Identical Strangers you will NOT regret it, documentary of the year for me.

It's best you go in knowing as little as possible for the full effect, but it raises all sorts of nature-nurture questions in a very Fortean, conspiracy theory way. It's fascinating and tragic, too. All you need to know is one day back in 1980, a student was starting a new college and was wondering why all these strangers were greeting him like an old friend...

Following up the above, people in the UK can see Three Identical Strangers in cinemas right now. Be wary of reviews that give too much away, but Mark Kermode awarded it his film of the week accolade, and rightly so.

Thanks ^.
I'd downloaded an empty file a few weeks ago and dumped it. Going to have a look now. Thanks for the rec. I thought it looked tasty but probably wouldn't have tried again to find it without your rec, GNC. It looks like something akin to The Imposter from about 5 years ago.

Thanks ^.
I'd downloaded an empty file a few weeks ago and dumped it. Going to have a look now. Thanks for the rec. I thought it looked tasty but probably wouldn't have tried again to find it without your rec, GNC. It looks like something akin to The Imposter from about 5 years ago.

Glad to be of help. It is like The Imposter judging by the amount of times you'll go "What the...?" during it.

Well it was pretty startling. Did you immediately go MK Ultra too? I don't wanna spoil for the viewers, so I'll just say I thought what was most incredible was the thought that the organisation, given the background and history of their own people, could possibly have even considered meddling in eugenics. Awesome folly.

Well it was pretty startling. Did you immediately go MK Ultra too? I don't wanna spoil for the viewers, so I'll just say I thought what was most incredible was the thought that the organisation, given the background and history of their own people, could possibly have even considered meddling in eugenics. Awesome folly.

It's appalling, and more appalling that they've managed to cover their arses so we still don't know what they were up to until about 50 years from now. By which time everyone involved will be dead.

Shag Harbour UFO Incident, Canada 1967
Quite enjoyed this one.

Something weird certainly occurred.. It's one of the cases that to me seems genuine enough from the witness evidence to suggest that something, possibly alien made contact with Earth that night.

Two-part interview with Whitley Strieber and Jeffrey Kripal. Has anyone read their book The Super Natural: A New Vision of the Unexplained? Is it worth a read? I recently re-watched the 1989 Communion film (Christopher Walken brilliant as always) after many years, which piqued my curiosity on the case and led me to take a fresh look at Strieber's work.

I recently re-watched the 1989 Communion film
Same here. Last week. Synchroooooo.

I liked it. think it would have been given slightly more credence with a less ...erm ... quirky actor. I love Walks, but it was a bit of a miscast. It's fun to speculate about who else might take on the Strieber role in the remake.

I used to think Strieber was a crank, but I've changed my mind about him. I'd like to read his book. I'm currently exploring the UFO/UAP phenomena through Gordon White's Star.Ships atm, and there's a lot more to it. A physical entity travelling millions of light years across galactic space seems the least likely explanation. Whatever they are, we are part of them, or perhaps they are expressions of us that we are unable to process under our fundamentally materialist paradigm. As Joe Strummer said, "There's something there." I now, ultimately, am receptive to the subfields of existence.

@FrKadash, your sigline says it all really.

Last edited:
skinny, I'm reading Communion at the moment, have been meaning to for years, only half way through but would definitely recommend it. I'm reading it alongside Jenny Randles' Mind Monsters, which is an excellent read. I've just noticed something interesting. Today I read in Communion (page 29) how Strieber describes the smell of the visitors with a faint hint of cinnamon and cardboard, then a few minutes ago I read an account of an abduction in Mind Monsters (page 119), in which a woman was examined in a white room ''by figures who smelt of cinnamon''. I thought this was a strange synchronicity, but even stranger due to the fact that I had a strong cinnamon scent on my fingers from opening a bottle of Abramelin oil to smell it, and that was about half an hour before I read the first of these two mentions of cinnamon!

Watched Tickled and the Tickle King last night. A New Zealand journalist discovers "competitive endurance tickling" videos online and emails the company requesting an interview. The reply was less than polite and things go crazy more or less straight away and escalate from there and continue to escalate. You're better knowing as little as possible going in, what I've posted is what I knew in advance.

Tickled is such a strange doc, makes you feel really uncomfortable as well. A lot of creepy people out there.

I can heartily recommend the above, just watched it tonight, it's a British Koyaanisqatsi. Worth watching for the creepy/funny/tragic lady with the stuffed poodle! And all the nudists, obviously.

Just discovered this new documentary today, The Seer and the Unseen (2019)

THE SEER AND THE UNSEEN is a magically real fable about invisible elves, financial collapse and the surprising power of belief, told through the story of an Icelandic woman - a real life Lorax who speaks on behalf of nature under threat. Through her heroic story, SEER explores the surprising power of belief, the profound meaning of home; and, the invisible forces - be they elves or the market - that shape our visible worlds and transform our natural landscapes.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9103326/

Looking forward to watching it! Reminds me of the brilliant documentary Investigation Into The Invisible World (2002)

Hot Docs Film Review: ‘The Seer and the Unseen’
Sara Dosa's elegant documentary finds unexpected environmental and economic dimensions to its offbeat subject, an Icelandic elf whisperer.
By Guy Lodge
The words “away with the fairies” tend to be used pejoratively, though if you applied it to Ragnhildur “Ragga” Jónsdóttir, she’d calmly and cheerfully accept at least part of the phrase. It’s the “away” bit to which she’d object: In Jónsdóttir’s view, she’s very much present with the elves, trolls and sprites who make up Iceland’s apparently vast population of folkloric huldufólk (hidden people), and acts as a vital intermediary between these creatures and her human cohorts who neither see nor believe in them. As the heroine of Sara Dosa’s sprightly, surprising character portrait “The Seer and the Unseen,” this alleged elf whisperer makes for a highly unusual documentary subject and storyteller, at once wholly, earnestly truthful and questionable in her convictions.

https://variety.com/2019/film/revie...qekw_qtZFbaunq52n53uDeDpSD5KLggzNVG1ndNDI3yv8

Remember The Amazing Johnathan? That devil may care comedy magician? Once seen, never forgotten, because he was hilarious. But what's not so hilarious is this new documentary about him:

Which was filmed as he was dying. Or it was supposed to be. He had a year to live. Three years ago. So, to put it bluntly, the doc asks why is he still alive?

Remember The Amazing Johnathan? That devil may care comedy magician? Once seen, never forgotten, because he was hilarious. But what's not so hilarious is this new documentary about him:

Which was filmed as he was dying. Or it was supposed to be. He had a year to live. Three years ago. So, to put it bluntly, the doc asks why is he still alive?
His doctors probably told him he only had a year, but he's probably been careful.

I have just watched the first episode of Dark Tourist on Netflix. It has no great depth as such but it looks like it may be worth watching more. In the first episode, amongst other things, he visits the cult of Santa Muerte. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8725166/

Back