• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT374

titch

Justified & Ancient
FIRST!
Gingerbread houses, santa and flying saucers and the British mothman, looks like a very good issue

Or just dress as clowns! Not that I endorse killing sprees!

Mine arrived, a seasonal special just in time for me putting the tree up. The IHTM about the little dog is a doozy. Haven't investigated much else - but I will.

Gingerbread house article a good read, but I quibble with the part where it says they have become a tradition of Christmas since the 1980s - I've never seen one in my life. Not outside of fairy tale pictures, anyway.

I've seen them on sale in the past few years but not heard of anyone buying one.

Sounds a bit awkward to eat. Or live in, if it's big enough.

I’m saving mine, virgin in its plastic wrapper, to keep me sane when l have to spend Christmas in Mordor with the in-laws.

Luckily l tend to eke mine out, so l’ve just started 373.

maximus otter

An excellent issue, all the main articles were very interesting, the dog seeing the ghost boy was an excellent tale and I had never heard of the chester winter watch till now. (I will be in Chester the next time it happens as well!)
The mods get a mention for all their recent hard work, that's fame for you.

From now on I will refer to "a kiss under the mistletoe" as "a kiss under the shit twig".

From now on I will refer to "a kiss under the mistletoe" as "a kiss under the shit twig".
Remind me never to kiss you anywhere!

Is anomalous big cats a new thing or did I just notice it in this month's issue?

Is anomalous big cats a new thing or did I just notice it in this month's issue?
It's not new, it's only just been brought to your attention. Damn big cats everywhere they shouldn't be, like politicians in the lead up to an election...

It's not new, it's only just been brought to your attention. Damn big cats everywhere they shouldn't be, like politicians in the lead up to an election...
I meant as different from alien big cats, maybe the alien part confused some people?

I meant as different from alien big cats, maybe the alien part confused some people?

I think 'alien' suggests a known species that is out of place whereas 'anomalous' fits better with big cats that are just totally confusing to the observer. The one pictured in the latest FT is (supposedly) massive but an unidentified type of cat.

Gotta say, that cat on the wall just looked normal sized to me.

I think 'alien' suggests a known species that is out of place whereas 'anomalous' fits better with big cats that are just totally confusing to the observer. The one pictured in the latest FT is (supposedly) massive but an unidentified type of cat.
I always get those two confused!+

Forgot to mention, Danny Baker was talking about this issue on his 5Live show last Saturday (in the first ten minutes, if you want to catch up with it). He mentioned two stories, one about mistletoe and the other on the broken crockery in plant pots, then suggested news bulletins be replaced with broadcasts from the FT. Sounds fair.

Interesting letters about predatory seagulls. Now I'm aware I'm talking about evolutionary biology with little more than a layman's knowledge and I could well be making a misleading selective interpretation of a handful of observed facts in order to prove what I instinctively "know" to be fact - although this approach never seems to stop Creationists.

Now large avian predators like sea eagles are dying out, alas. This leaves a niche to be filled at the top of the seabird food chain - nature abhors a vacuum. The compelling thought is this. (Any passing biologist is free to tell me this is crap, I don't take offence). What if this is evolution in action - some, but not all, seagulls are adapting to fill the niche for apex predator which is opening up as eagles get scarcer? In an as-yet-to-be-determined future after umpteen generations, will we see a new species splitting off from gulls, an eagle-like bird derived from seagull roots? And this is the first step on the way?

Interesting letters about predatory seagulls. Now I'm aware I'm talking about evolutionary biology with little more than a layman's knowledge and I could well be making a misleading selective interpretation of a handful of observed facts in order to prove what I instinctively "know" to be fact - although this approach never seems to stop Creationists.

Now large avian predators like sea eagles are dying out, alas. This leaves a niche to be filled at the top of the seabird food chain - nature abhors a vacuum. The compelling thought is this. (Any passing biologist is free to tell me this is crap, I don't take offence). What if this is evolution in action - some, but not all, seagulls are adapting to fill the niche for apex predator which is opening up as eagles get scarcer? In an as-yet-to-be-determined future after umpteen generations, will we see a new species splitting off from gulls, an eagle-like bird derived from seagull roots? And this is the first step on the way?
It's possible.
There are signs that seagulls have begun attacking and even eating smaller birds.

It's possible.
There are signs that seagulls have begun attacking and even eating smaller birds.
Seagulls also attacked Tippi Hedren, and we all know how that worked out in the end...

Liking Jenny Randles' capsule cases for Christmas (or whatever it was called). The sort of thing I loved to read when I was a kid.

Back