• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

by infra red light sources ?

do smart meters connect to your home wifi/network ? i wouldnt be in favour of configuring this ...
Depends, some of them use a power line communications system, there are various flavours about. Getting a Mb around a whole house for stuff like smart metering and turning things on an off is less than a buck a chip.

I some times leave my elderly desk top computer on "sleep" when I go to bed, as opposed to turning it off properly.
I've noticed that it occasionally switches itself back on, which is a nuisance as it wakes up any cat who may be asleep on the sofa.
I always assume the cause is some other electrical activity in the house -like me turning on the bathroom light, or even my phone, left on to charge, maybe receiving a text.

I have a battery operated door-bell push that never rings when pressed. If somebody presses the bell in the building next door it does however ring.

The bell only plays the Westminster chimes unless the middle flat (a second home) is in use. It then randomly plays little tunes such as 'Pop Goes The Weasel' until I unplug it.

The bell in the back office at work never sounds unless pressed; or unless I am in the front. Doesn't happen unless I'm on the premises apparently.

I some times leave my elderly desk top computer on "sleep" when I go to bed, as opposed to turning it off properly.
I've noticed that it occasionally switches itself back on, which is a nuisance as it wakes up any cat who may be asleep on the sofa.
I always assume the cause is some other electrical activity in the house -like me turning on the bathroom light, or even my phone, left on to charge, maybe receiving a text.

It could be that Wake-On-LAN is enabled.
You can turn it on/off in the BIOS and in the network adapter properties

The checkout girl today forgot to swipe my awards card although it was in my hand ,as she was busy getting me to donate to their latest cause, and as I was filling in my name she finished the transaction.
That meant I missed out on special points I was offered.
Anyway when I got home I rang their rewards program and was told a wait of 1 to 3 hours and they would ring back.
So I decided to email them instead. However that meant I needed to put in a password on their site so I opened my book with passwords and put it on the top of the lounge chair next to where I use the computer and put the awards card on top.
Sadly the book fell off but when I picked it up along with various papers that had been inside, the card was nowhere to be seen.
After crawling around the floor with a torch I still couldn't find it. After looking for some time I asked St. Anthony, St. Jude or the fairies to please return it as I needed it.
No luck, so decided to look at my mobile phone which was in my bag in another part of the room.
When I picked up the phone the card was underneath.

Something a bit odd happened a few days ago.

Along one side of my garden is a row of the dreaded Cupressus Leylandii. Between this hedge (now 25 foot high) and the house is a drive way on which one of my spare cars is parked.

I walked past the car one day and found that there was a lot of fronds from the hedge on it and on the floor around it. Now, it had been windy so I didn't think too much about it at first. But then I realised that these fronds were young growth. Perfectly healthy. No way would they have been torn from the hedge by the wind.
On closer examination I saw that each frond had been cut off. Apparently with a sharp knife. None of them had been snapped, which leaves a damaged end. And the cut was done in one move, diagonally. A very clean cut.

At the other side of the hedge is a public footpath. But it is set back some way from the hedge.Also the hedge was between the car and the path so it would have been very hard to make the pile of fronds land where they did if it was thrown over the fence.

All very strange.

I still have no idea how it happened, or why.

INT21

Could it be someone trimmed the new growth on the other (path) side, left the cut-off debris wherever it fell within / upon the hedge, and the wind blew it over / through to your side?

Not really. No one trims the hedge unless I do it. And if the wind had blown the clippings about they would have been distributed over a large area and mostly on the other side of the hedge.

INT21.

In the US, there are varieties of insects that do this. They actually lay eggs in the end of the branch and then nibble it off. The branch falls to the ground and, in time, the eggs hatch and the larvae burrow into the dirt to mature. Is it possible this is what happened?

SkepticalX,

Highly unlikely. The cuts were very clean.

INT21.

Neither me or the Mrs know where the Dastardly & Mutley T Shirt has come from .. we do all of our own laundry at home and have done for over ten years, none of my friends have ever loaned me a T Shirt or left one behind or even stayed over at our current address within the time span, I've nothing against the Wacky Races cartoons but I'm absolutely sure I haven't bought this shirt .. our clothes line in our back yard is as fenced off as all our other neighbours are. I'm wearing it right now but neither of us can explain how it got here .. not exactly Fortean Times hold the front page stuff I know but weird.

by infra red light sources ?

There is a lamp in the room but the TV only comes on at 5.05am so the light is not on at that time
The remote is usually on the bookcase or sometimes on the sofa or coffee table

So which side did they come from?

I moved into a house and found the next morning that the lawn had been mowed. I was trying to figure out who of my friends would be so nice as to buy me a mowed lawn as a housewarming present when a guy came up and looked at me strangely and asked me if I was the owner. He said he had mowed the lawn but the woman who hired him was Black (I am not). One of my new neighbors also standing there said , oh that's the same house one block over and pointed across the street. Poor guy, I was glad to have the lawn mowed and I paid him.

It could be that Wake-On-LAN is enabled.
You can turn it on/off in the BIOS and in the network adapter properties

Thanks mikfez!
I'm not technologically very competent, so I don't like to meddle. (Over 70, poor old soul!:D)

Thanks mikfez!
I'm not technologically very competent, so I don't like to meddle. (Over 70, poor old soul!:D)

If you're feeling brave - it's not that difficult >
Open the Control Panel > click on Network and Internet then Network and Sharing Center.
Down the left hand side click on Change Adapter Settings.
Right click on your Local Area Connection and select Properties
Click the box Configure and select the Advanced tab.
You should find some options for Wake On LAN to enable/disable. Not all adapters have the same properties.
Good luck

WoL.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is extremely minor strangeness, not exactly 'Poltergeist'!

I was at my Mother's house and went upstairs.

Half an hour later I went back up, to get her lap-top. In my fleece pocket was a piece of damp kitchen roll that I'd used to dry my hands. I was twiddling with the paper and about five steps from the top landing it fell from my pocket, not to be seen.

I turned left at the top of the stairs, which has a balustrade for safety.

Three feet away, in the corner, was a folded square of damp kitchen paper on the carpet.

At the risk of answering my own question, I suspect that my memory has conflated two trips up the stairs into a single incident. But that would be more worrying because I was convinced I had the paper on trip #2. It isn't something that normally happens to me either.

I was in the local Buddhist centre this afternoon.

Only one other man in the cafeteria when I arrived.

I had never seen this person before. Maybe about fifty year old.. Ordinary 'street' type person. A bit like me.

He said to me 'do you want to sell some gold '?

I responded 'No, thanks'. A bit odd as people are usually trying to sell gold; often stolen.

He then opened his wallet and displayed a stack of twenty Pound notes. ' I have plenty of money to buy it with' he said, as if to reassure me he could pay.

'Sorry', I said, 'but I don't have any gold at all'.

He put the money away. And then shortly after he left.

I thought 'how odd'.

Firstly a Buddhist meeting house has to be about the most inappropriate place to open up a gold transaction with a complete stranger.

Maybe the twenty pound notes were counterfeit. And he was trying to pass them off.

Or maybe, just maybe, He was particularly astute and could foresee (as I can) the collapse of the Dollar and the rise of gold again as a standard. And he just wanted to get ahead of the curve.

I only went in there for some soup and serenity.

Funny world we live in.

INT21.

Whilst I'm here, I throw in this one. First time I have ever mentioned it.

Years ago I worked in Baghdad. During this time I met a young woman who was a teacher of English at a school that was more or less on my route to work.
So I ended up taking here to work. Nothing more 'dodgy'.

Anyway, one day I pulled up at the place she used to meet me, she got in the car. and I had a strange feeling 'it's not the same girl'.

We went to the school she worked at, chatting all the way, but somehow I couldn't shake this feeling that she wasn't the same person I usually gave a lift to.
I even asked her 'do you have a sister ?'. 'no, why' Nothing, I just thought I had met someone very much like you'.

I only had that feeling on that day.

INT21.

I was in the local Buddhist centre this afternoon.

Only one other man in the cafeteria when I arrived.

I had never seen this person before. Maybe about fifty year old.. Ordinary 'street' type person. A bit like me.

He said to me 'do you want to sell some gold '?

Or maybe, just maybe, He was particularly astute and could foresee (as I can) the collapse of the Dollar and the rise of gold again as a standard. And he just wanted to get ahead of the curve.

INT21.

I know a preacher who is buying gold coins for the end times. Maybe that's his plan too..

I was watching a program a few days ago there it was posited that all fiat currencies would have to collapse And the only way out would be to re-structure using gold as the standard.

It did explain briefly how this would be done.

It makes sense, but could be messier far beyond the dreams of Brexit.

INT21.

I was watching a program a few days ago there it was posited that all fiat currencies would have to collapse And the only way out would be to re-structure using gold as the standard.

It did explain briefly how this would be done.

It makes sense, but could be messier far beyond the dreams of Brexit.

INT21.
I have this feeling about gold too - it looks like a good bet.
However... there is the possibility that a government, experiencing hard times, may decide to 'requisition' all privately held gold, then make it illegal to possess it. All in order to force people to use the fiat currency.

Mythopoeika,

I think the idea is that all transactions would be done in quantities of gold.
And that would mean using electronic banking only.

I can't see one going into a fish shop and asking for a 'haddock and 5 micrograms worth of chips, please.'.

You'd use a card and have it deducted from your gold holding.

INT21.

Mythopoeika,

I think the idea is that all transactions would be done in quantities of gold.
And that would mean using electronic banking only.

I can't see one going into a fish shop and asking for a 'haddock and 5 micrograms worth of chips, please.'.

You'd use a card and have it deducted from your gold holding.

INT21.
The problem with a 'gold holding' is that it is another form of fiat currency. Some of that gold may not exist.
Look at Fort Knox. They won't let Germany have its gold back. Guess what? It's not there any more.

Just looking at today's Gold price.

$985.83 per Oz or 31.695 per Gram.

So I suppose if it was to change at the moment, and you had $985.83 in the bank, you would suddenly have 1 Oz of gold instead.

INT21.

I can see where there would be problems.

How does a country that is billions in debt re-structure ?

Is the debt simply transferred into the equivalent in Gold ?

INT21.

You will all find this interesting. If you don't ? well, I tried.

v=EHieYyi-vxY

Ok, so I can't post a direct link to YouTube,

But if you copy and past the above fragment into your web browser search box it will take you to the same place.

INT21.

Last edited:
Not enough gold now available to act as a 'gold standard' for backing currency.
So, it would only be of use as an alternative to currency, on a smaller scale.

If I remember, the idea was to asses the total amount of gold and the total amount of fiat money at the time and do some kind of division.

How this would allow for the mining of new gold is a mystery to me.

INT21.

Didn't I read somewhere that all the gold ever produced would fit in a normal-sized swimming pool?

Back