• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Reincarnation (The Phenomenon; The Process; Theories)

If reincarnation is true then I must come from a long line of boring sobs, cause I don't remember a bit of it.

Scott Adams (of Dilbert fame) suggested in one of his book that the appearance of reincarnation is when a brain takes on a configuration of a past set of memories coincidentally. Or something like that. It's possible, but with 60 odd billion neurons it's a long shot.

If reincarnation is true then I must come from a long line of boring sobs, cause I don't remember a bit of it.

Look on the bright side, that probably means you don't have any bad karma to work out! :)
Personally, I feel I have a heavy karmic debt to work off in this lifetime. That keeps me focused on doing the right thing. Don't want to have to do this all over again. it's tiring. ;)

Look on the bright side, that probably means you don't have any bad karma to work out! :)
Personally, I feel I have a heavy karmic debt to work off in this lifetime. That keeps me focused on doing the right thing. Don't want to have to do this all over again. it's tiring. ;)

God imagine if reincarnation was like ground hog day. The same thing over and over. :cry:

Interesting concept though. You have to re-live your life over and over, until you finally get it "right".
Whatever "right" may be. I might need a few more goes....

That is basically what hinduism and buddhism says. You keep being stuck in the cycle of life and death, untill you finally get it right and ascend to nirvana instead.

What I think is unfair is that you can't remember what you did the last times to cause you to come back.

What I think is unfair is that you can't remember what you did the last times to cause you to come back.
Maybe on a certain level you do. Gut-feelings and hunches might cause you to take a course of action that you wouldn't expect. A warning of a previous mistake, making your decisions for you?

My much-loved granddad had a long standing belief that he was going to be reincarnated as an elephant. He looked forward to it immensely, especially during the time that he was dying of cancer, and spoke about it a lot. It brought him a lot of comfort and since his death it has been a comfort to me as well.

I wonder if people with transgender problems if it can be a hangover from a previous life.

I think may be people feeling they were in the wrong body was because they had been that sex in a previous life.

I think may be people feeling they were in the wrong body was because they had been that sex in a previous life.

We had a thread on that topic once before, and IIRC that one also went a bit peculiar. I guess it's a sensitive subject.

Anyway, I had posted in that thread about a friend who feels that her lesbianism is a hangover from her past life as a heterosexual man. She'd undergone a hypnotic regression and recalled abandoning his/her wife while the wife was ill and dying. My friend feels that it's part of her karma to live out the female role this time.

Not exactly a matter of being in the wrong body, but kinda-sorta nearing the same ballpark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's more like it. I do wonder, you know how computers don't like it if you don't shut down properly? Well maybe there's some way previous lives aren't finished off correctly (maybe the wrong paperwork in the great beyond) and that's why some people have hangovers from their last life and others don't.

Someone close to me died suddenly some years ago, causing me, my family and our friends huge grief. A couple of years ago I had a very vivid dream about him.

He walked in, looking well; seemed to be about the age'd he'd be then, rather than his age when he died.

I greeted him warmly and asked if he was staying. He didn't speak but smiled and I felt he would like to stay but couldn't.

I said, 'So if you can't stay now, can you come back? As a baby? You could do that, couldn't you?'

He indicated a screen, like a TV or computer, which was showing a very simple black and white line-animation of a pond. There was a waterlily on it.

A fish swam across the pond and a small animal jumped in, like a frog or newt. I saw the ripples and heard 'The next baby born into the family will be me.'

I thought, 'I'm dreaming this but it's OK!' and drifted happily awake.

The lily pond reminded me of a nephew who has a child called Lily. He has several sons too, and I thought his family was probably complete.

Wrong! His wife must have conceived around the time I had the dream. They are wonderful parents and their latest son has now just turned one.

I haven't met him yet. When I do, maybe he'll recognise me. Just thinking he's come back is a comfort even if it IS woo rubbish. Who knows anyway?

We‘ve all heard about NDEs but I’ve noticed that dotted around the internet are an increasing number of accounts of PBE - Pre-Birth Experience.

This subject has a particular relevance for me and I’ve mentioned somewhere among these threads my own experience of this. For the sake of the new starters I’ll bore you again…

This is one of my first childhood memories and I mean memory as opposed to a dream. Over the years, it’s floated, drifted away and then resurfaced to the front of my mind as if I’ve subconsciously told myself never to forget this crucial event in my ‘life’.
It’s worth mentioning that my first recollection comes around the age of 3 or 4. We only had a black and white television and I didn’t make my first visit to the cinema until some years later. The imagery I remember in vivid colour.

I am in space looking down on Earth. Glorious cloud covered blue ball with the sun in a position where part of the earth was going into darkness. Beside me, on my right a vague figure which I took to be a benevolent guardian or mentor encouraged me to look closely. ‘You have to choose’, this figure said as little flashes of light pinged off in various locations across the globe. ‘These are all the lives available to you. Before you choose, you can see what that life will be’. I chose a pinprick of light and saw all that would be. I’d didn’t like that and a light flashed in the UK. I asked to be shown that and said ‘I’d like that one’. So I chose all this I’m going through now and it’s part of the whole learning process.

The funny thing is, a lot of people out there are saying the same thing.

We‘ve all heard about NDEs but I’ve noticed that dotted around the internet are an increasing number of accounts of PBE - Pre-Birth Experience.

This subject has a particular relevance for me and I’ve mentioned somewhere among these threads my own experience of this. For the sake of the new starters I’ll bore you again…

This is one of my first childhood memories and I mean memory as opposed to a dream. Over the years, it’s floated, drifted away and then resurfaced to the front of my mind as if I’ve subconsciously told myself never to forget this crucial event in my ‘life’.
It’s worth mentioning that my first recollection comes around the age of 3 or 4. We only had a black and white television and I didn’t make my first visit to the cinema until some years later. The imagery I remember in vivid colour.

I am in space looking down on Earth. Glorious cloud covered blue ball with the sun in a position where part of the earth was going into darkness. Beside me, on my right a vague figure which I took to be a benevolent guardian or mentor encouraged me to look closely. ‘You have to choose’, this figure said as little flashes of light pinged off in various locations across the globe. ‘These are all the lives available to you. Before you choose, you can see what that life will be’. I chose a pinprick of light and saw all that would be. I’d didn’t like that and a light flashed in the UK. I asked to be shown that and said ‘I’d like that one’. So I chose all this I’m going through now and it’s part of the whole learning process.

Amazing that AB - never heard of this before.

(I can only imagine that the preview of the latter part of my proposed life was heavily censored - bit of mis selling going on there:rofl:)

I think Dr Stevenson mentioned some Indian children saying that pre birth they were floating amongst the trees and the clouds prior to rebirth, but this was in conjunction with reincarnation, from the sounds of it you may be first timer

The law of the conservation of matter : matter can not be created or destroyed, but the elements can be rearranged.

With this law in place, reincarnated is true.

An example is more people and less trees and animals which is matter transformed.

Maybe I will come back as a rich person.

Then again are rich people happy ?

I don’t know, but I would sure like to give a try.

Can anyone explain the theory of reincarnation, as I understand it, when you die you are reincarnated into a new persona.
Question:...do you get to choose who you become or is it left to chance, if so why is it that people who claim to remember past lives are always of the same ethnisitty, ie, white people never seem to come back as black, asian, or oriental.
Interesting question. The people I have met that claim they are reincarnated either claim they were famous in a past life or they were native and in this life are of european desent. I don't think people necessarily always claim to be the same ethnicity.

There are a lot of stories about reincarnation and I think that is what most of it is. I believe we get to choose, my analagy is that before we incarnate we sit around a table with a map we have drawn of the life experiences we want. We are with our friends/family and each gets a turn to go over their map and say "at this juncture I need someone who can help me with ..." and everyone looks at their map to see if they can work that in and someone volunteers to help with what ever. These could be experiences, lessons, depending on your view of the point of reincarnation. I think it is like a disney ride that you design yourself.

There are a lot of stories about reincarnation and I think that is what most of it is. I believe we get to choose, my analagy is that before we incarnate we sit around a table with a map we have drawn of the life experiences we want.
Amongst many other examples, so do some choose to be alcoholics, or heroin addicts or blown up in some war, or shot or for women, raped?

Reincarnation must include some type of pay back for previous lives actions both good and bad which we are unaware in this this life. In other words, karma.

As an example, what would a paedophile be reincarnated as and then suffer? Horrible though it may read, maybe the same as they had done to others in previous lives but are unaware of having done that in previous lives, in this life?

Reincarnation and karma is the only thing that explains suffering of seemingly, what we would call, innocent people in this world.

Last edited:
Amongst many other examples, so do some choose to be alcoholics, or heroin addicts or blown up in some war, or shot or for women, raped?

Reincarnation must include some type of pay back for previous lives actions both good and bad which we are unaware in this this life. In other words, karma.

As an example, what would a paedophile be reincarnated as and then suffer? Horrible though it may read, maybe the same as they had done to others in previous lives but are unaware of having done that in previous lives, in this life?

Reincarnation and karma is the only thing that explains suffering of seemingly, what we would call, innocent people in this world.
I wonder about the theory that we spend our lives with the same people, lifetime after lifetime.
The reason I think this may be true is that the second I saw my future husband, I knew beyond any doubt that he would be my husband, and felt that I already knew him. I was with a friend and said, 'That's him, that's the man I've been looking for my whole life.'
My girlfriend asked who he was, I replied that I didn't know, but that I would marry him.
And I've always felt that I have spent other lifetimes with him, even after 35 years with him that feeling has never faded.

As I understand it, reincarnation is the basis of many Asian religions, and people in India.

Ronnie your story about your husband sounds familiar.

My wife and I were close as children but grew up in different parts of the country.

But when she old enough, she came back to see if I was still around, and I was.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this this morning. Do we reincarnate many times or pick up stories of people who have lived before?
I used to have vivid dreams of being in other times, in the earliest I was a child in a cave putting handprints on a wall.
At the time of the dreams I hadn't read about those times but it lead me to find out more, some of which wasn't discovered till years later.
I think I posted earlier about dreaming of my son in law before meeting him and the recognition of the family whose son was friends with my youngest when she was in preps.

Reading on the internet, it seems people can go through several reincarnations until they resolve their unfinished business.

My problem with reincarnation is what you are going to come back as ?

Are you coming back as human or animal, or male or female, or plant?

I always can use money so I am hoping for a rich person.

Money is not evil but useful !

Reading on the internet, it seems people can go through several reincarnations until they resolve their unfinished business.

My problem with reincarnation is what you are going to come back as ?

Are you coming back as human or animal, or male or female, or plant?

I always can use money so I am hoping for a rich person.

Money is not evil but useful !
Reincarnation in the main comes from the Vedas. A huge library of books written 5000 years ago in India in Sanskrit.

In one book in particular, the Bhagavad Gita, it states that a persons consciousness at the time of death determines the next body. So if a man during his life time was completely obsessed with women and sex, the next life time he will probably be born as a woman so as he can enjoy a womans body as a woman.

Likewise if a person is obsessed with, for example, cats, then that person will get reborn as a cat. Sometime you can almost see this process at work with old people. They can start to look like their cherished dog or cat. As I understand it, the subtle body is starting to form the next body they will be born into.

A really degraded person can have their next body awarded to them by how they lived this lifetime. They can end up in the lower life forms or even in the insect or plant form of life.

Again as I understand it, the problem with wealth (money) is it's awarded by karma. If a person was charitable in previous human forms of life, or was poor but willing to share, then they may be rich in this life time. The problem with karma is every penny has to be paid back many times over. So next lifetime they may end up as a beggar suffering on the streets. It's known as Samsara, the circle of repeated births and deaths and the enjoyment or suffering in between.

Last edited:
Back