• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shadow Spider

He remembers it well, although he likes to deal with what can be explained and if it cant he tends to not want to dwell on it, unlike me who is always searching for answers to all the big questions... Although I was the recipient of most of the strange happenings, he just happened to catch a glimpse of it from time to time. I wonder why spiders feature so much with this kind of experience?

I have nightmares about spiders sometimes, I just put it down to, er, being scared of spiders, and their "alien" quality which is paradoxically so commonplace. Maybe that's what they represent, who knows the mind of a spider?

Not much more to add, but this is one of the best IHTM threads we've had here in a while.

What excellent tales, F55, thank you so much. As other people have said, it's so interesting that your husband saw something that looked similar at the same time. I can't help thinking about sightings of ghosts where people seem to see similar things in the same spot... like that there might not be something actually physical there that you could touch, but there's something there in some way that makes the human brain respond in a certain way, so similar things are seen. If you see what I mean.

About 20 years ago I had a spate of seeing huge luminous spiders coming down from the ceiling over my bed. I can't remember if I was falling asleep or already asleep and then waking up? But I used to sit bolt upright (or scoot out of bed) absolutely terrified (I've always been scared of big spiders appearing suddenly in the house). It didn't particularly amuse my poor sleeping boyfriend. I don't think I was particularly stressed at the time? I think it happened in various locations so it was surely my brain doing something weird rather than the more intriguing experiences you had in that one house. So many weird things people experience seem to happen in that hypnagogic / hypnapompic state. Whereas you had things going on at any time in your house too. But it kind of fits in with the spikey / leggy shape thing that people are mentioning, that maybe we have an inbuilt innate reaction to certain forms.

Hmm all very interesting. I hope you stick around!

hmm I stand corrected.
Thats right, it first appeared in that house and I saw it countless times there and along with the other things and how unhappy we came to be there we decided to move. In fact we were so desperate to move by the end we moved into rented before the house was sold. Immediatly the thing, whatever it was, seemed to diminish and I rarely saw it again, although I did a few times over the years. I cant remember being particularly stressed or tired at those later points though. I think I have seen it once in the last 3 years. In that house it felt as though it was almost every night at one point.

Yes, I did feel at the time that the thing was wanting to take something from us, or use us in some way. I switched from that, to wondering if it was something I had created my myself, sort of a manifestation of my fears and exhaustion and stress. But when it was in the cot with my daughter. I dont like ro wonder too much what the purpose of that was. I guess I will never know. But it has given me a respect for the fact that there are so many things out there that science cannot explain. When someone dismisses the supernatural out of hand I feel sorry for them as I suspect they are in for a hell of a shock one day.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I could use science to totally rationalize away everything that happened to you. LOL. I just don't think it would be productive, as it fits the alternative hypothesis better, given that both you and your husband co-experienced the same thing at the same time.

What excellent tales, F55, thank you so much. As other people have said, it's so interesting that your husband saw something that looked similar at the same time. I can't help thinking about sightings of ghosts where people seem to see similar things in the same spot... like that there might not be something actually physical there that you could touch, but there's something there in some way that makes the human brain respond in a certain way, so similar things are seen. If you see what I mean.

About 20 years ago I had a spate of seeing huge luminous spiders coming down from the ceiling over my bed. I can't remember if I was falling asleep or already asleep and then waking up? But I used to sit bolt upright (or scoot out of bed) absolutely terrified (I've always been scared of big spiders appearing suddenly in the house). It didn't particularly amuse my poor sleeping boyfriend. I don't think I was particularly stressed at the time? I think it happened in various locations so it was surely my brain doing something weird rather than the more intriguing experiences you had in that one house. So many weird things people experience seem to happen in that hypnagogic / hypnapompic state. Whereas you had things going on at any time in your house too. But it kind of fits in with the spikey / leggy shape thing that people are mentioning, that maybe we have an inbuilt innate reaction to certain forms.

Hmm all very interesting. I hope you stick around!
It is horribly unsettling isnt it, to wake up to see what looks like a spider above your face! And then have it dissapear too. It sound as though a lot of people have had similar experiences to mine in that sense. Its just that one time myself and my husband experienced it at the same time that I cant explain. Interesting also that that was the one time it presented as something other than a spider-like shape.

Welcome fizzy55, and thank you for relating so intriguing an experience. It's impossible to known what to make of it, besides perhaps a horror movie, but it implies a universe bigger than our everyday experiences suggest, and that's something that always thrills me. I'm glad things have settled for you, and I hope you and your family remain unmolested by this force from now on.

Interesting also that that was the one time it presented as something other than a spider-like shape
was it different the first time, seemed like you, ahem, saw the spiders legs no

was it different the first time, seemed like you, ahem, saw the spiders legs no
The first time it looked like multiple long streams of black crepe paper flung from the area atop of the curtains, and landing on the bed. Then there was nothing there when I looked.

The first time it looked like multiple long streams of black crepe paper flung from the area atop of the curtains, and landing on the bed. Then there was nothing there when I looked.
It floated down onto the bed sort of like paper would, carried on the air, rather than fall like strands of silk or something would that had more of a weight to it. If that makes sense. It was like someone had balled it all up in their hands and flung it outwards from the curtain so it unfurled in the air and then fell or floated downwards.

Back