• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Best Fortean YouTube Channels

These are the sorts of videos Mr Zebra and I have been enjoying watching in the past couple of months. As already mentioned on here, Beyond Creepy and the Top 5's, are both good. Like you said, Swifty, sometimes the shorter ones are good when you're not feeling up to getting into something too deep.

Here's another 'channel' that has some good accounts of strange events, narrated really well and with nice drawings to set the scene... it's called Bedtime Stories...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCD4-G3Aokt2sM7TYQV2HmA/videos

Here's another 'channel' that has some good accounts of strange events, narrated really well and with nice drawings to set the scene... it's called Bedtime Stories...

These are great. If I keep watching stuff like this before sleeping I will eventually lose all fear response through saturation therapy. Sweet dreams. Thanks Schrodinger's Zebra, you are my favorite visual expression of the doppler effect.

You're right about the clickbait; the amount of times I've clicked on a video cuz of an interesting 'front picture' on the video only to find that strange picture I was hoping to learn about isn't even mentioned. Same with the video descriptions on some.

Tell you a good way to keep away from the rubbish ones though - anything with 'proof' in the title (especially if it is in block capitals) is guaranteed to not contain any proof whatsoever

:D

You're right about the clickbait; the amount of times I've clicked on a video cuz of an interesting 'front picture' on the video only to find that strange picture I was hoping to learn about isn't even mentioned. Same with the video descriptions on some.

Tell you a good way to keep away from the rubbish ones though - anything with 'proof' in the title (especially if it is in block capitals) is guaranteed to not contain any proof whatsoever

:D
the sad thing is that good channels use it too, wich makes it even harder to see

As Swifty cited, The Paranormal Scholar is very well-produced.
I also subscribe to Merc, Beyond Creepy and want to peddle this next one to our pagan-leaning or permaculture-friendly membership.

Bealtaine Cottage is run by Collette O'Neil. She's from Tyrone but lives in Roscommon and has for the past 15 years been converting a 3-acre property into what she calls a multi-cultural growing space. The transformation has been insane. I really just enjoy listening to her sweet lilting tones from behind the go-pro, but she also has some fantastic permacultural technique videos amongst the descriptive content, as well as some great local surroundings insights. The video linked below is a case in point. It's like I'm there on holiday at her BnB. I will get there one day. I've started going to sleep listening to her talk. A most soothing alternative to the drama of the modern world, and an inspiration for me to get outside and start earthing again.

(I can't link to the entire playlist but this is one of the chapters, on 'extraordinary claims')

I was watching some of these yesterday - it's a university produced series on critical thinking. There is a fortean angle to quite a bit of the later chapters I was watching eg Susan Blackmore talking about her OOBE and how over many years of research she had to conclude she wasn't really out of her body at all, and that she couldn't get evidence for many other paranormal things either. And also a chapter about alternative medicine where they go to a 'woo fair' or whatever it's called and hear some really vague waffle from people peddling Energy and suchlike. It's all discussed very politely and reasonably and I think you'd find it interesting, I recommend.

It made me a bit sad though that compared to the usual guff on youtube it hasn't had quite so many views. But who wants something you have to concentrate on when "FIVE FREAKY INSTANCES YOU WON'T BELIEVE!" hits the spot much quicker and easier. Much more satisfying to the brain though.

Horrible terrible beasties :willy:

Sorry @Swifty but I refuse to watch your video until I know precisely how scary these creatures are.

On a scale of 1 to 5, where:
1 = my dog looks scarier in the dark than these creatures, and
5 = I should watch with the lights on and be prepared to evacuate to the back of the sofa,

how would you rate the video?

Thank you.

Sorry @Swifty but I refuse to watch your video until I know precisely how scary these creatures are.

On a scale of 1 to 5, where:
1 = my dog looks scarier in the dark than these creatures, and
5 = I should watch with the lights on and be prepared to evacuate to the back of the sofa,

how would you rate the video?

Thank you.
No probs Zebs, I'd rate it:

3 = I think a little bit of wee just came out

A youtuber going by the name of Sir Spooks has a pretty good channel, I've just enjoyed watching his 5 cryptids video, all this footage is new to me .. cracking stuff

The second clip into this Sir Spooks vid is seriously impressive editing .. or a real ghost girl. Apparently the clip has been online for years, this is the first time I've seen it

Last edited:
A youtuber going by the name of Sir Spooks has a pretty good channel, I've just enjoyed watching his 5 cryptids video, all this footage is new to me .. cracking stuff

The second clip into this Sir Spooks vid is seriously impressive editing .. or a real ghost girl. Apparently the clip has been online for years, this is the first time I've seen it

You've got two, possibly three seconds which gave the girl enough time to hit the deck as the camera initially wasn't focused on where she was standing, the messy panning also helped. Great clip but not necessarily a ghost.

You've got two, possibly three seconds which gave the girl enough time to hit the deck as the camera initially wasn't focused on where she was standing, the messy panning also helped. Great clip but not necessarily a ghost.
I disagree because if she had thrown herself on the ground, she'd have had half a second tops. I'm going with a skilful angled edit using the corner of the wall on the approach taking advantage of the messy panning.

Swifty,

..refer to the devil who had two faces ..

Wasn't it Janus who had two faces. And could see the past and the future at the same time ?

INT21

Swifty,

..refer to the devil who had two faces ..

Wasn't it Janus who had two faces. And could see the past and the future at the same time ?

INT21
I'm not sure what you mean about religious references INT21, I'm just seeing some young film students getting creative when I watch that clip to be honest.

I have read somewhere in the past that the expression to be 'two faced' and also the expression 'kiss my arse' has roots to ancient Christian beliefs that the devil had two faces, the later example meaning the devil's second face was on his buttocks so 'kiss my arse' was to kiss the devil's second face.

I disagree because if she had thrown herself on the ground, she'd have had half a second tops. I'm going with a skilful angled edit using the corner of the wall on the approach taking advantage of the messy panning.

Sorry, I thought it was widely believed the footage wasn't cut? I see that's wrong.

Looking at it again the cut is at 2.59. Pretty clear. The whole frame blurs and returns to normal at 3.00.

Sorry, I thought it was widely believed the footage wasn't cut? I see that's wrong.

Looking at it again the cut is at 2.59. Pretty clear. The whole frame blurs and returns to normal at 3.00.
I was too focused on the corner of the wall being the concealing element at 3.00 but now I re watch it yeah I think you're right, it was at 2.59 wasn't it .. there's even a sort of click sound at that exact moment .. fucking students eh? ..

Documentary/Docudrama/Docutainment?
Hellier on Planet Weird

I enjoyed Hellier, but it flagged badly after the first two eps. Two hours would have been plenty for the whole thing. Taking it at face value, there was a lot of genuine weirdness in the build-up period, but by the time they got out there properly, it had mostly moved on. They seemed sincere, just over-keen to find strangeness.

I enjoyed Hellier, but it flagged badly after the first two eps. Two hours would have been plenty for the whole thing. Taking it at face value, there was a lot of genuine weirdness in the build-up period, but by the time they got out there properly, it had mostly moved on. They seemed sincere, just over-keen to find strangeness.

I plan on watching it - but I have recently noticed a tendency on both podcasts and videos to stretch things out far more than necessary.

Or maybe I'm just becoming too impatient.

I have to apologise for posting this - I watched the first 1/2 hour and thought "this is intriguing - I'll share it"
I didn't notice that it was 5 x 1 hour episodes and which sadly fell very flat after the first - it's more a showcase for the film maker than an interesting documentary.
If this is the new generation of Forteans then we're screwed.
If it was an Enid Blyton book it would be called - Five Go On A Wild-Goose Chase
Five thirty-somethings follow up on an email about goblins attacking a property in Kentucky and find nothing.
They resort to making tenuous coincidences meaningful and use new-age twaddle to "talk" to entities.
In the end it wasn't about looking for goblins - it was all about a personal journey - wtf?

It's all about the experience these days, maaaan… Like experiencing somebody else's holiday videos, I suppose.

So here are what I have for channels :
JC Johnson,
Canam Missing Project
New Mexico Shadow Seekers
Bigfoot Crossroads

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZv-VflCB-aCEvzHoarhjZg, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChXKAI83IuqSneWe92F97jQ, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZW49hvyCSRvybSDrFno5tg, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrRJfoNYDdx9yHkH8ISubQ, unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (3).jpgunnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Back