• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stone Circles Of Modern Origin

Ham Hill in Somerset - a country park and still partly a working quarry for the beautiful orange 'Ham stone' that typifies the local buildings - has a modern stone circle that's starting to weather quite nicely.

1548291707720.jpeg

It was erected as a millennium project and commemorates the long history of stone quarrying on the hill.

Back in the 1970s there were still concrete WWII pill boxes standing, from when the quarry was used for training. If you were lucky you could still find the odd brass bullet casing. From the war memorial in the background you can see many villages all around, including the late Paddy Ashdown's gaff.

Well worth a visit if you're in south Somerset, more stuff here: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Ham-Hill-Somerset/

There is a modern monolith in the little valley near Priston Somerset. I believe it was erected in 2014 and the stone came from Wales. There is a little bit of information in the nearby pub- Ring of Bells which does an excellent range of ciders and decent food ( Fire place and bowling alley too). grid reference might be ST 691 602 priston 2.jpgpriston 1.jpg

Ham Hill in Somerset - a country park and still partly a working quarry for the beautiful orange 'Ham stone' that typifies the local buildings - has a modern stone circle that's starting to weather quite nicely.

View attachment 14383

It was erected as a millennium project and commemorates the long history of stone quarrying on the hill.

Back in the 1970s there were still concrete WWII pill boxes standing, from when the quarry was used for training. If you were lucky you could still find the odd brass bullet casing. From the war memorial in the background you can see many villages all around, including the late Paddy Ashdown's gaff.

Well worth a visit if you're in south Somerset, more stuff here: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Ham-Hill-Somerset/
I used to live in Montacute and regularly walked from home to Ham Hill and back. Ah memories...

Also, whilst we're there, has anyone definitively decided on a date for the Cerne Abbas Giant? (Refrains from posting a picture in case any delicate sensibilities are upset).

Went to the Isle of Skye and were disappointed there were not enough ancient landmarks? Solution: make your own!
Circle news

Tourists have been taking stones and making their own stone circles, apparently because Skye is a bit too boring. Making that worse, these circles are being constructed from stone walls that are already venerable landmarks. So they're destroying heritage for their selfies. Thanks for nothing.

Went to the Isle of Skye and were disappointed there were not enough ancient landmarks? Solution: make your own!
Circle news

Tourists have been taking stones and making their own stone circles, apparently because Skye is a bit too boring. Making that worse, these circles are being constructed from stone walls that are already venerable landmarks. So they're destroying heritage for their selfies. Thanks for nothing.

Been there, both literally and metaphorically.

maximus otter

View attachment 14383

Mr J during one of our 'permitted travel to exercise' excursions during 2020. The doorway frames a nice view of the 1999 stones - he was looking forward to the future without lockdown restrictions :)

IMG_0098 - Copy.JPEG

Mr J during one of our 'permitted travel to exercise' excursions during 2020. The doorway frames a nice view of the 1999 stones - he was looking forward to the future without lockdown restrictions

A fine figure of a man! er... how did he get up there? I'm going to be very disappointed if there is a nice staircase round the back!

A fine figure of a man! er... how did he get up there? I'm going to be very disappointed if there is a nice staircase round the back!
He climbed up. He's unstoppable, even after his serious illness of a year before. If (say) large boulders as a sea defence have a sign on them saying "do not climb up these rocks" he is prone to climbing on them to take a picture of the sign... in his sandals or flip-flops. It's the Nepalese way! :rollingw:

When asked about our experience of married life I (truthfully) reply "there's never a dull moment."

I've just come back from a city break in Norwich, my first time in East Anglia (I prefer hill country but was looking for somewhere I'd never been before), and was pleasantly surprised. On the way back home yesterday, we took a rail replacement bus from Norwich to Ipswich before continuing by train. The bus took the A140 and somewhere in the region of Mendlesham/Wetheringsett I swear that I saw a small stone circle on the left hand side (east side). I have trawled Google Maps but have not been able to find anything. I am assuming it is modern. Does anyone local to the area know it?

Last edited:
I've just come back from a city break in Norwich, my first time in East Anglia (I prefer hill country but was looking for somewhere I'd never been before), and was pleasantly surprised. On the way back home yesterday, we took a rail replacement bus from Norwich to Ipswich before continuing by train. The bus took the A140 and somewhere in the region of Mendlesham/Wetheringsett I swear that I saw a small stone circle on the left hand side (east side). I have trawled Google Maps but have not been able to find anything. I am assuming it is modern. Does anyone local to the area know it?
I can't see anything either.

@Carl Grove or @Swifty may know?

Unrelated, there is this;

https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=45605

I haven't heard of it but I can ask around.

I haven't heard of it but I can ask around.
The bus had just come through a small settlement, the circle was very neat and well-tended, perhaps 5 metres across, the stones maybe 2-3ft high and typical irregular standing stones, although clean of lichen etc. I had a clear view of it, but the bus was past it quite quickly (in under 10 seconds).

The bus had just come through a small settlement, the circle was very neat and well-tended, perhaps 5 metres across, the stones maybe 2-3ft high and typical irregular standing stones, although clean of lichen etc. I had a clear view of it, but the bus was past it quite quickly (in under 10 seconds).
I've cut and pasted your question to facebook's NORFOLK FOLKLORE SOCIETY and NORFOLK'S FORGOTTEN HISTORY in case anyone recognises it. I've also just learned that a newly built stone circle was first spotted in '99 in the coastal North Norfolk village of Knapton.

edit: https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=36980

I've cut and pasted your question to facebook's NORFOLK FOLKLORE SOCIETY and NORFOLK'S FORGOTTEN HISTORY in case anyone recognises it. I've also just learned that a newly built stone circle was first spotted in '99 in the coastal North Norfolk village of Knapton.
Thanks! I think it was actually just across the border in Suffolk, although my knowledge of where the border actually runs is... I was going to say pretty vague but it would be more accurate to say non-existent!

Has Australia's Esperance Stonehenge been discussed yet ? It's a full scale replica of the original, made of stone blocks weighing up to 50 tons each, all properly aligned to the equinoxes.

The best part is that it reproduces Stonehenge as it originally appeared, not the decrepit old half collapsed ruin that the Brits have to put up with.

It gets very little publicity, so most people have never heard of it, but the pictures look impressive. If it does have a fault it's that the stones look too neat and squared.

https://esperancestonehenge.com.au/

Esperance_Stonehenge.jpg

Has Australia's Esperance Stonehenge been discussed yet ? It's a full scale replica of the original, made of stone blocks weighing up to 50 tons each, all properly aligned to the equinoxes.

The best part is that it reproduces Stonehenge as it originally appeared, not the decrepit old half collapsed ruin that the Brits have to put up with.

It gets very little publicity, so most people have never heard of it, but the pictures look impressive. If it does have a fault it's that the stones look too neat and squared.

https://esperancestonehenge.com.au/

View attachment 75057
I hiked past Stonehenge about a month ago, and it struck me for the first time (perhaps due to my viewing angles - approaching over the ridgeline from the south, then skirting it to the west and getting as close to it on the north side as I could without paying - which is actually pretty close) that it surely must have had a roof on it when it was built.

Thanks! I think it was actually just across the border in Suffolk, although my knowledge of where the border actually runs is... I was going to say pretty vague but it would be more accurate to say non-existent!
My pleasure Simon. I've only been to the Norfolk/Suffolk border a few times to visit a haunted church in Santon near Brandon so I don't know the area too well either. (We've had to drive through a dogging site in Santon to get to the church in the past which was amusing).

I hiked past Stonehenge about a month ago, and it struck me for the first time (perhaps due to my viewing angles - approaching over the ridgeline from the south, then skirting it to the west and getting as close to it on the north side as I could without paying - which is actually pretty close) that it surely must have had a roof on it when it was built.
There is a school of thought that suggests Stonehenge had a roof. This article has some nice pictures of what it may have looked like.

https://archaeology-world.com/the-a...-once-had-a-thatched-roof-to-form-the-temple/

The model does rather resemble a giant version of a round house. I liked the reproduction round houses they had built at the Stonehenge visitor centre last time I was there. You can imagine a roofed stone circle being part of the same culture.

I think Ptolemy also makes a vague reference to something that people have interpreted as a roofed Stonehenge. Have to look that one up.

I've had a (sort of) answer:

Paranormal Reason ·
Follow
Although I cannot answer a definitively, it would be of the modern era, a folly if you like. Still interesting though.
Other than the odd few (small stone) dotted here and there, the nearest neolithic stone constructions to East Anglia (the southern diagonal at least) are in North Kent, Kitts Coity being the most well known, near Blue Bell Hill.

Back