• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Orville

Does Seth Macfarlane have to ruin everything?

We already had a two good parodies of Star Trek, we don't need another one.

That doesn't look bad to me .. it doesn't look great either .. an amusing distraction.

Maybe I need more sleep, or more food, but I actually found bits of that trailer amusing.

Maybe I need more sleep, or more food, but I actually found bits of that trailer amusing.
Sounds like a typical episode of Family Guy... "I found bits of it amusing, but as a whole it was somehow unsatisfying. Where are my Futurama DVDs?"

I might be less critical if he wasn't in it. But then he wasn't actually in the Cosmos reboot, and somehow he ruined that. (It contained factual errors that not only weren't in the original, they are directly contradicted by Sagan's accompanying book for the original series.)

I watched the premiere episode, and I basically agree with the thrust of the critical reviews. The visuals were impressive, but the writing, characters, and acting were surprisingly thin and stiff. It reminded me of a big-screen sequel that has to rely on self-consciously epic style to mask its lack of substance.

I also strongly agree with the reviewers who claimed The Orville was more faithful to, and reminiscent of, Star Trek than this new series. Something's amiss when satire / self-conscious caricatures of a 'canon' prove more entertaining than a supposedly serious addition to it.

There's no way I'd pay to stream it ...

... I have access to Discovery but have actually seen more episodes of Orville, so subconsciously I think I've made a choice even if Orville is a bit naff!

Last edited by a moderator:
... I have access to Discovery but have actually seen more episodes of Orville, so subconsciously I think I've made a choice even if Orville is a bit naff!

Some Episodes of The Orville eg "If the Stars Should Appear" & "Majority Rule" could have been in ST:TOS, just take out a few of the laughs.

... I'm deeply disappointed by The Orville. Every episode is just a PC lecture with tedious dollops of sermonising. To misquote Hollywood producer Samuel Goldwyn: "If you want to send a message, use Western Union."

I'm deeply disappointed by The Orville. Every episode is just a PC lecture with tedious dollops of sermonising. To misquote Hollywood producer Samuel Goldwyn: "If you want to send a message, use Western Union."

I honestly thought they were sending up PC stuff!

I liked the way some episodes could have been in STOS with less laughs.

... I'm deeply disappointed by The Orville. Every episode is just a PC lecture with tedious dollops of sermonising. To misquote Hollywood producer Samuel Goldwyn: "If you want to send a message, use Western Union." ...

Gave up on The Orville after one episode.
Red Dwarf and (arguably) Firefly were good examples of humorous Sci-fi.
The humour in Orville though was just moronic and the paper-thin characters unlikeable.
What a waste of an obviously sizeable budget.

I'm just watching The Orville and has also been pleasantly surprised. I consider Family Guy to be garbage. I though Orville was a sit com but this feels like a Trek series with a bit of comedy added.

I think of it as Galaxy Quest, the TV series. Best Trek in a long time. Some great characters, especially the aliens in the crew.

I'm just watching The Orville and has also been pleasantly surprised. I consider Family Guy to be garbage. I though Orville was a sit com but this feels like a Trek series with a bit of comedy added.
I think of it as Galaxy Quest, the TV series. Best Trek in a long time. Some great characters, especially the aliens in the crew.

I haven't seen Orville yet but comments here confirm other comments I've read about it.

It's an interesting state of affairs when the best Star Trek is not even Star Trek at all. But then Seth McFarlane is a clever guy.

By the way, let us not forget the BBC's own Star Trek spoof, Hyperdrive. This only managed two series but was worth many more series (as well as a bigger budget!). It was very funny indeed. I was sorry to see it cancelled.

Judging from the credits, Orville seems to have more Star Trek veterans involved than Discovery.

I couldn't stand The Orville. Wasn't funny enough to work as a sci-fi comedy à la Red Dwarf, didn't have the likeable characters of Firefly and certainly wasn't visionary enough to work as "real" sci-fi.

The "now the biting makes sense" M&Ms gag in the first episode was about as good as it got!

Just watched episode 3 of The Orville s2, and they've gotten rid of the cutie! OK, she had alien makeup on, but she was still the most appealing character. No reason given IRL, other than Halston Sage maybe having her filming dates clash with another series. And apparently they're replacing her with another actress wearing the same makeup, sorry, of the same alien race. Bah.

This thread is being established to consolidate the scattered posts relating to The Orville.

This thread is being established to consolidate the scattered posts relating to The Orville.

Thanks! Could you move the post I made in the Star Trek thread a few minutes ago to this place?

Seth MacFarlane admitted several months ago that the first season of The Orville had left people with the impression it was a satire with occasional serious points. He claimed the original intention was the reverse - i.e., a serious show with bits of satire and humor.

He promised that adjustments were being made so as to make The Orville less comedic and more serious.

Meanwhile ... Scheduling nabobs at FOX truncated the series' first season with two episodes left to broadcast. These two episodes were 'bumped' into the second season.

These moves were apparent when season 2 premiered some weeks ago. The first two episodes (left over from season 1) were still heavily laden with jokes. The first new episode (season 2; episode 3) struck a notably more serious tone in presenting the back story to Alara's decision to leave the crew. Episodes 4 and 5 continue this more serious tone.

In any case, the relative proportions of drama versus comedy have noticeably switched in magnitude.

We saw the Alara leaving episode tonight. It was an American paranoia yarn. Yawn.

I like the Orville, I like the humour, I do not want it to become too serious :(
I would never use those holodecks, any one can walk in :O

Back