• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

In your opinion what are alien big cats most likely to be?

• Escapees from collections, breeding in the UK countryside

Votes: 57 48.3%
  • A species of endemic British big cat somehow overlooked by science

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zooform Phenomena - animal-shaped manifestations of paranormal activity

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Misidentifications of big dogs, normal cats etc

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • A big hoax

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summat else

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • All of the above

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
20 inch claws...

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................eight inches. This hybrid cat belongs in 'Straya.

I'm in a place called Apollo Bay in Victoria, Australia at the moment. My wife and I have come to Melbourne on business but have managed to sneak a few days of pleasure into the trip. We're current driving down the Great Ocean Road, the most southerly point of Australia. We saw a sign today pointing towards a lookout and on a whim, decided to drive up to it. Upon arrival, we saw this sign (closeup included). It must be here for a reason.
1548898594646685.jpg
1548898617053108.jpg

Last edited:
'Puma' seen near Swadlincote, Derbyshire

Wildlife fan Ian Harvey says he came face to face with the “frightening big cat” during a morning stroll. He claims the creature was “basking in the sunshine” and lying down "against the hedgerows" close to the pitch.

The canopy-maker recalled: “I walked on towards the football pitch and saw something lying down against the hedgerows on the opposite side of the pitch that I thought was a deer.

"It was facing the road. I took another five or six steps and and it turned its head towards me and looked right at me. At that point, I thought 'that's a cat - it's got a cat's face'.

“It carried on staring at me and I was staring back. I dared not go any closer. I'm probably about 60 yards away by now.”

Mr Harvey also said that he was convinced the animal was a puma because of its “unmistakable big cat curved tail”.

Mr Harvey's reported sighting happened at around 10am on January 28 at a park on Occupation Road, Albert Village.

The wildlife enthusiast, from Swadlincote, had gone for a walk on his morning break in pursuit of a kestrel he was watching

An interesting report. Undramatic, no growling, no chasing (by either party) no "I took a photo but it didn't come out." Also, it's not a black one. Black cats seem to be represented disproportionately in alleged sightings.

A detail that catches my attention as a former fraud investigator is, "I'm probably 60 yards away by now." The witness is describing the event as if he is reliving it. This does not prove he is telling the truth, but it is an indicator that he is likely to be.

A quick Google search shows several alleged big cat sightings in and near Derbyshire including one or two in 2018.

60 yards, 180 feet, I'm not sure you'd make out too mych detail at that range.

Big cat on the loose in Cornwall as paw print raises fears 1970s myth may actually be true

A big cat is on the loose in Cornwall, police have said, after they made a plaster cast of a paw print left in the garden where a family dog was mauled.

TELEMMGLPICT000193387118_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq8ggG0gZK0F59BimaAxPHMxJQx-TkWCfnOICCD5QckAs.jpeg

Police and the RSPCA say the paw print is far too large to be that of a domesticated cat, leading some to believe the myth of the big cats roaming Dartmoor to be true.

There have been reports of big cats on the prowl around Dartmoor for years, and now dogs in the area are facing mysterious injuries.

Officials have confirmed the prints - measuring almost five inches - are that of a big cat and police say "something has been here which should not be".

James Stephenson, from the Cornwall village of Callington, close to Dartmoor, raised the alarm after his dog Marley was found with bleeding claw marks on its shoulder.

He said he has seen a large cat prowling near his garden, and thinks this is the beast that mauled his pet.

Th 23-year-old added: "He was covered in blood. He had a big deep gash on his front left leg and one between his toes. On his left shoulder was a big black claw mark, as if a muddy claw had scraped down the side of him.”

Officers from Devon and Cornwall Police came to inspect the scene and took a cast of the large paw print left in his garden.

A spokesperson said: "An officer attended the property and located the footprints in the garden. We called the RSPCA for advice and took a cast of the print which they confirmed was the pad of a large cat".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...all-five-missing-cats-plaster-cast-paw-print/

maximus otter

Last edited:
The one and only truly original!

A week or two back I saw a dead Wallaby at the side of the road,
and last Sunday I saw one of the locals that makes a living getting
rid of pests for farmers so asked if he had seen any Wallaby's about,
no but he had see a panther a few months ago so it looks like the
Pilling panther is still about.
Getting like a zoo round here.

We saw an excellent talk on The Durham Puma today at the Weird Weekend. The speaker mentioned in passing that when he was looking out for an example of the eponymous large feline, three deer crossed his path. He told someone else this and they said 'Naaah Mate, there're no deer there! I've lived here for X years and never seen any!'

This intrigued me so I asked about it in the 'Questions' section afterwards. Would a young deer would make a nice meal for a big cat? Isn't it a good sign for pumas that deer are strolling around? etc.

However, the reply was that he couldn't follow it up as nobody believed the deer existed!

I have lived in this area for about 30 years and have only seen deer 2 or 3 times, I
am often out and about and keep my eye open so many people wont believe deer
are in the area, so just like ABC's my Wallaby, UFO's Ghosts and many other things
only a few are lucky enough to see them, unless it jumps out of a bush and bites them
on the ass the vast majority are not going to believe and who can blame them, only
when it happens to you do you truly believe even then you may still have doubts.

I have lived in this area for about 30 years and have only seen deer 2 or 3 times, I
am often out and about and keep my eye open so many people wont believe deer...

“The UK's deer population is believed to be at its highest level for 1,000 years, with some two million deer in our countryside and semi-urban areas.

There are thought to be some two million red, roe, fallow, sika, muntjac and Chinese water deer in Britain’s countryside and semi-urban areas, the highest level for 1,000 years.

Numbers may have doubled since 1999...”

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/deer-culling-in-britain-facts-and-statistics/

maximus otter

“The UK's deer population is believed to be at its highest level for 1,000 years, with some two million deer in our countryside and semi-urban areas.

There are thought to be some two million red, roe, fallow, sika, muntjac and Chinese water deer in Britain’s countryside and semi-urban areas, the highest level for 1,000 years.

Numbers may have doubled since 1999...”

https://www.countryfile.com/wildlife/deer-culling-in-britain-facts-and-statistics/

maximus otter

They're a bloody nuisance in East Yorkshire especially when large groups of them run across the road - where's are the ABCs when you need them.

Last edited:
Sighting in Cornnwall of a cat the 'size of an alsatian', complete with video. Looks like a biggish domestic cat to me, but you'd be able to re-create the sighting it to find out its size.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/big-cat-alsatian-spotted-cornwall-a8859526.html
Yeah cat I'd say, the grass that almost hides it as it approaches the hedge doesn't look to be very long!
There a bloody nuisance in East Yorkshire especially when large groups of them run across the road - where's are the ABCs when you need them.
Deer in the Purbeck have reached quite huge numbers and we've got the ticks and Lyme disease to prove it.

Are these ABC cats always black, panther-like ones? Has anyone ever reported a white / cream coloured one, does anyone know?

Back