• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Defrosted Seal Poo Reveals USB With Video Of Leopard Seal

Just as a correction, the poo was from a Leopard Seal and the video was of Sea Lions. Poor creature. I would be a bit mortified if I was that video's owner.

Why “poor”? Are we so divorced from nature that we expect a leopard seal to subsist on tofu and turnips?

maximus otter

Leopard seals are quite big, it might not have noticed the USB drive coming out.

Why “poor”? Are we so divorced from nature that we expect a leopard seal to subsist on tofu and turnips?

maximus otter
Sorry, I don't understand this question. I definitely don't expect them to subsist on USB drives and this one was thin and sick which is why its poo was collected. So yes, poor creature.

There's no indication the leopard seal ate the seals in the USB video, though it certainly could have.

I think they meant ate the human, not the seals. Leopard seals have been known to go after humans.

Sorry, I don't understand this question. I definitely don't expect them to subsist on USB drives...

l skim-read the item (on my ‘phone, on a bus). I made the obviously erroneous assumption that the USB stick had been recording video from a camera mounted on a seal; and that said seal had been nommed by a bigger seal, which had then pooped out the drive. “Fortean irony at its finest”, thought I.

Memo to self: RTFM!

:mcoat:

maximus otter

If you stick an hdmi cable up a seal’s bottom and connect it to a TV, you can see what it’s been doing on catch up.

Try sticking an HDMI cable up a leopard seal’s cat flap and you’d better hope that it doesn’t “catch up”.

maximum otter

Poor old USB drives seem to be the bottom of the food chain.

Sorry, this content is not available in your region.
Relevant part:

Because the stick was “embedded deep in the poo,” which also contained plenty of feathers, researchers are “convinced that a bird ate my USB stick, and the leopard seal then ate the bird … and then bizarrely I come along and say, ‘Oh, there’s a sample we should send to NIWA,'” Nally tells the Guardian, which got confirmation of the theory from researchers.

That settles it, I'm buying a USB drive like that. This is Nokia-level toughness.

Back