• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

A Gourmet club tried squirrel a number of years ago, I remember the Telegraph headline: Nuts put squirrel on Menu.

The rumour I heard is that Grey Squirrel tastes OK, but Red Squirrel tastes horrible, so there's hope that eating them might help get Grey populations down in the UK.

The rumour I heard is that Grey Squirrel tastes OK, but Red Squirrel tastes horrible, so there's hope that eating them might help get Grey populations down in the UK.
Why would they taste so different? Unless that's a rumour deliberately being circulated to put people off eating red squirrels? As if they need that, because it may be illegal.

Why would they taste so different? Unless that's a rumour deliberately being circulated to put people off eating red squirrels? As if they need that, because it may be illegal.
Slightly different diets, different metabolism, all sorts of possible reasons. They're not that closely related to the introduced Grey Squirrels, or even the American Red Squirrel.

Or, as you say, it might just be propaganda put about by the Woodland Trust or somebody.

I take it you were listening to "No Such Thing as a Fish" this week.
No, actually, what's that?

Fwiw there is a style of Chinese rice wine with pork added, and it's delicious.

It's a podcast that spent rather a lot of time in its most recent episode discussing cock ale. Seems an odd thing to just come up twice by coincidence.

Another WW2 ration pack time capsule review

Unless that's a rumour deliberately being circulated to put people off eating red squirrels? As if they need that, because it may be illegal.

Indeed it is, and quite rightly so. Red squirrels are protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Grey squirrels are a destructive invasive pest species. Fortunately, they are also delicious. :reyes:

maximus otter

It's a podcast that spent rather a lot of time in its most recent episode discussing cock ale. Seems an odd thing to just come up twice by coincidence.
I read about it on an old post on an home-brewing forum, I should check out the podcast though, it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

When I was at school, for school outings, there was a ban on bringing soft drinks (ie soda, pop, fizzy drinks, etc), you were only allowed non-carbonated beverages. Some bright spark then announced that if you add milk to Coke, the teachers would think it was coffee so it was OK, and it tasted like a Coke Spider (effectively an ice cream float). I don't know if anyone tried it, at the time I was hopped up on Ribena and massively over-sugared tea. (Ribena was better for taking on outings, since it was easier to freeze it so it would melt during the day, and still be cold enough to drink, as opposed to taking a thermos of tea around, which would probably still not stay hot enough to drink.)

Also, I was listening to the podcast of Frank Skinner's radio show, and he said that when he was a lad, it was milk and lemonade, not milk and Coke, but he could understand how that might have changed.

Why have Yellow Breasted Buntings become critically endangered in the last 15 years? Because their migratory path takes them through China, where they have the misfortune to be considered delicious.

https://www.birdlife.org/worldwide/news/yellow-breasted-bunting-next-passenger-pigeon

20160412111909952_0001.jpg

Latest internet craze is eating Mukbangs, which in practice is just overeating of junkfood on Youtube.
The word MUK probably comes from what chicken nuggets are made of.

Examples:

Actually, it's a Korean thing, which started as a way for people who live alone to have company while eating, just by putting on a YouTube video. It's been kind of co-opted by American YouTubers as easy content, where usually more than one of them, or sometimes just one, talk about what's happening in their life while they eat. It's not always junk food, either, it depends on who you're watching, but a lot of people do go with mukbangs themed by a specific restaurant, or a sponsor's products.

Tinned hot-dogs, cooked by the direct application of electricity.

It smells like burning human flesh!

Big Clive compares regular Princes brand hot-dogs with their fatter American-style cousins.

Enough to turn anyone Vegan! :puke2:

My father was the state manager of the company he worked for when I was a child. One Christmas, he was sent a hamper from a Japanese client which included an entire chicken (cooked) in a can. It was possibly the most revolting foodstuff I've ever encountered. Pale, soggy meat and a pile of bones in a mess of gelatinous goop. Almost 50 years later, I can still smell it.
Edit: I have just searched to see if such things still exist, and to my horror, they do.
cannedchicken.jpg

Pale, soggy meat and a pile of bones in a mess of gelatinous goop.

If you can bear to relive the trauma, there are a number of Youtube videos in which intrepid eaters unleash these canned alien forms.

The nearest thing I can recall eating was a tinned Chicken Supreme, which lacked the joy of the mucosal jelly but substituted a phlegmy white custard. The flavour was not very different from cream of chicken soup in a can but the texture was horrid and it resisted all attempts to enliven it with paprika etc. I suspect these sorry things are made from old laying fowl, which will tenderize only at the high temperatures possible in a canning plant! :sherlock:

If you can bear to relive the trauma, there are a number of Youtube videos in which intrepid eaters unleash these canned alien forms.

The nearest thing I can recall eating was a tinned Chicken Supreme, which lacked the joy of the mucosal jelly but substituted a phlegmy white custard. The flavour was not very different from cream of chicken soup in a can but the texture was horrid and it resisted all attempts to enliven it with paprika etc. I suspect these sorry things are made from old laying fowl, which will tenderize only at the high temperatures possible in a canning plant! :sherlock:

I have just endured a couple of videos. Nauseating. They look as bad as your description reads.

Latest internet craze is eating Mukbangs, which in practice is just overeating of junkfood on Youtube.
The word MUK probably comes from what chicken nuggets are made of.

Examples:

Pale imitations of the mighty Reviewbrah.

Actually, it's a Korean thing, which started as a way for people who live alone to have company while eating, just by putting on a YouTube video. It's been kind of co-opted by American YouTubers as easy content, where usually more than one of them, or sometimes just one, talk about what's happening in their life while they eat. It's not always junk food, either, it depends on who you're watching, but a lot of people do go with mukbangs themed by a specific restaurant, or a sponsor's products.

The Korean ones, as you say, are about far more than eating food on camera. It sounds absurd, but the food is really incidental, they could be doing almost anything universal to Korean society. It's just that eating meals with a family is so central to life on the peninsula. When you don't have it, many feel, there's a bit of a modern hole in your life.

The Korean ones, as you say, are about far more than eating food on camera. It sounds absurd, but the food is really incidental, they could be doing almost anything universal to Korean society. It's just that eating meals with a family is so central to life on the peninsula. When you don't have it, many feel, there's a bit of a modern hole in your life.
So are most of the ones I see from American YouTubers, it's just an excuse to talk about relatively mundane stuff that might not otherwise fit into their normal content. They do, as I said, sometimes do themes with the food, or highlight a particular restaurant, but they mostly talk about other things.

So if I watch a video of someone drinking beer, does that then not count as drinking alone? Asking for a friend.

Back