• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
although, fortean tib-street-irregular sidekick has been quoting the movie back to me, so maybe destined for cultdom ?

Holmes & Watson is rapidly shaping up to be the most panned movie of the decade. By all accounts the underwhelming trailer contains all of the jokes, and I have one, third-hand user-review: "It's utter shit."
Well, i was going to watch it - I quite like Will Ferrell - but sounds like I might as well wait for it to be on TV - which I guess won't be long if it is that bad!

I might as well wait for it to be on TV ...
might be me but i find that a rather quaint notion

fortean teenage overachiever is reading the sign of four in english, so after picking up a copy @waterstones she suggested we go and see holmes&watson again ... obviously shes ironising ... unfortunately nowhere in town was still showing ... probably for the best

They can't stop making Sherlock Holmes films:
Holmes film news

This one stars Millie Bobby Brown as his little sister, who has the decidedly not very Conan Doyle name of Enola, and who has never been mentioned before. Based on a YA book series. Sounds like Young Sherlock Holmes, only a girl, and even in that film they must have been tempted to give everyone American accents.

... This one stars Millie Bobby Brown as his little sister, who has the decidedly not very Conan Doyle name of Enola, and who has never been mentioned before. ...

No relation ...

Courtesy of:

http://www.bestofsherlock.com/top-10-sherlock-quotes.htm

1551200685979252.jpg

So... it was, 'Watson' who made that remark?
:Givingup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Strange Case of the End of Civilisation as We Know It (1977)

[Watson is reading clues from a crossword puzzle to Holmes]
Dr. William Watson, M.D.:
1 Across. A simple source of citrus fruit, 1, 5, 4.
Arthur Sherlock Holmes:
A lemon tree, my dear Watson.

2 Down. Conservative pays ex-wife maintenance. 7, 5.
Arthur Sherlock Holmes:
Alimony...alimony Tory, my dear Watson.
Dr. William Watson, M.D.
Never cease to astound me.

2 Down. Southern California style. 1, 2, 8.
Arthur Sherlock Holmes:
A la Monterrey, my dear Watson.
Really good, holmes.

4 Down. Burglar's entrance
Arthur Sherlock Holmes:
Alarm entry, my dear Watson

That's rather poor, isn't it, Holmes? Right. One to go. A cowardly fish with a sting in its tail.
Arthur Sherlock Holmes:
Yellow manta ray, my dear Watson
Brilliant, Holmes

Dark songbirds in a pie? (4-3-6)
Arthur Sherlock Holmes:
Four-and-Twenty my dear Watson.

Last edited:
Every work day I walk down from Marylebone Station to Baker Street and see the Abbey National Clock Tower, the only bit surviving from the original (and beautiful) building and the closest you can get to 221B Baker Street.

(From Wiki) At the time the Holmes stories were published, addresses in Baker Street did not go as high as 221. Baker Street was later extended, and in 1932 the Abbey National Building Society moved into premises at 219–229 Baker Street. For many years, Abbey National employed a full-time secretary to answer mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes.
In 1990, a blue plaque signifying 221B Baker Street was installed at the Sherlock Holmes Museum, situated elsewhere on the same block, and there followed a 15-year dispute between Abbey National and the Holmes Museum for the right to receive mail addressed to 221B Baker Street. Since the closure of Abbey House in 2005, ownership of the address by the Holmes Museum has not been challenged, despite its location between 237 and 241 Baker Street.

ouch ! he was no jeremy brett thats for sure

By pure chance (I was listening to a Lou Reed track), this video just auto-played on YouTube.

The interviewer is Derek Jameson, a staple of the 80s, and it's hard to credit quite how crass and insensitive he is towards Jeremy Brett.

Here's a nicer one (though the earring was misadventure).

And, finally, this two-part recording of reminiscences by the late Edward Hardwicke (Brett's second Watson) are very interesting:

Patronised for Rebooted for da kidz:

Of course they play Hole's Celebrity Skin in the trailer, if anything makes you think Sherlock Holmes it's Courtney Love. Anyway, it's de facto superhero stuff yet again, and Netflix are being sued by the ACD estate for putting copyrighted material in the film, because apparently Sherlock is not entirely public domain. Who knew? Well, not Netflix.

Patronised for Rebooted for da kidz:

Of course they play Hole's Celebrity Skin in the trailer, if anything makes you think Sherlock Holmes it's Courtney Love. Anyway, it's de facto superhero stuff yet again, and Netflix are being sued by the ACD estate for putting copyrighted material in the film, because apparently Sherlock is not entirely public domain. Who knew? Well, not Netflix.
Oh my lord, he died in 1930. I had him completely pegged as a Victorian, neatly deceased before WW1. Yes, I do think his works should still be under copyright in the UK, yes?

His Last Bow, the last Sherlock Holmes story, is from 1917 and does feature some WWI stuff.

Oh my lord, he died in 1930. I had him completely pegged as a Victorian, neatly deceased before WW1. Yes, I do think his works should still be under copyright in the UK, yes?

Apparently some (earliest) ones aren't, some (later) ones are, it's all very murky, but if the ACD estate think you're using stuff that still is under copyright, they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks. Hence the BBC Sherlock was fine, because they were careful, but this new one isn't, because they weren't.

I've been re-watching the BBC Sherlock series on the iPlayer during lockdown. It works for me, as someone who's read and appreciated all the novels and short stories by Conan Doyle.

I think it works because the writers/creators are also A-C-D fanboys/girls - they've updated the stories and some elements for a 21st century setting but retained the essential dynamics, namely the adoption of new technology (in the original books that would be rail travel, telegrams, telephones etc., in the Sherlock series mobile data devices, hacking et al) and also nodding to and incorporating storylines and characters.

I really like the references that an A-C-D appreciator can spot to some short story cases not featured as main storylines in the TV series, and Charles Augustus Magnussen (Milverton) was faultlessly done IMHO. Moriarty in this incarnation of Sherlock Holmes was a genius bit of madly evil/evilly mad acting.

I am a bit biassed, though. I have thoroughly enjoyed all the 'new' Doctor Who series since 2005, in the same way. They actively recall, retrace and weave in all past story strands of the previous creative incarnation in a way that only truly appreciative fans would if they were commissioned to write a new series - and they were, and did. I'd bloody love to see Gatiss & his chums do a Quatermass and a few other things. The Triffids maybe?

Holmes & Watson is rapidly shaping up to be the most panned movie of the decade. By all accounts the underwhelming trailer contains all of the jokes, and I have one, third-hand user-review: "It's utter shit."
It was awful - makes you wonder if it was one of those films where actors/crew down tools but still fulfill their contractual obligations.

Enola Holmes: About Sherlock's younger sister Enola (Millie Bobby Brown). A bit teenagerish but still well worth watching, a fun adventure. Enola's mother (Helena Bonham Carter) disappears and this brings Mycroft and Sherlock back into her life. The stuffy Mycroft wants to send her to a Finishing School run by Miss Harrison (Fiona Shaw) but Enola runs away. Meeting up with a young aristocrat who is also fleeing from pushy relatives she gets involved in great capers. Political conspiracies, Suffragette agitation and more. We mostly see Carter in flashbacks but she has trained Enola in martial arts. Sherlock (Henry Cavill) is restrained in this adventure, Enola taking the lead but hopefully he'll crop up again in future adventures. Directed by Harry Bradbeer (Killing Eve), adapted by Jack Thorne (His Dark Materials) from the novel by Nancy Springer. On Netflix. 8/10.

Back