• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Top Tip.
Galactic Overlords. To avoid suspicion and unwanted destructive attention, don’t call your new planet killing machine ‘Death Star’. Build a smiley into the design and call it ‘Happy Moon’ or something instead.

Top Tip.
Galactic Overlords. To avoid suspicion and unwanted destructive attention, don’t call your new planet killing machine ‘Death Star’. Build a smiley into the design and call it ‘Happy Moon’ or something instead.
Plus, don't give it one fatal flaw such as an open shaft, into which, one shot from a well aimed pea-shooter will set off a chain reaction destroying the whole Happy Moon.

Even the local nuns wear Jedi Nun masks.

A rocky outcrop off the coast of Kerry that starred in two Star Wars films has transformed the tourism scene in south-west Ireland.

Star Wars fans have been flocking to Skellig Michael, a sheer-sided island 12 miles off the Wild Atlantic Way, and other Kerry sites, since they featured in the two latest movies in the franchise, The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. The World Heritage site was inhabited by monks from around the 6th century for about 500 years, with residents living in stone beehive-shaped huts in a monastery clinging to the cliff faces on the 714ft (218m) high rock. Publican Gerard Kennedy, who runs the Moorings guesthouse in Portmagee, said the village had been transformed by the interest generated by Star Wars.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...-wars-on-irish-tourism-monumental-894399.html

Yes, perhaps it's time to stop playing with Star Wars dolls when you're 50 y.o.

;)
I wonder if Guinness World Record holder Steve Sansweet has continued collecting the newer stuff for his Rancho Obi Wan?

Lengthy presentation of the O~Tril. showing lots of side-by-side scenes that were 'enhanced' in the special edition, only to be de-enhanced by a cross fan.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/restoring-star-wars/6994818
I still watch the 2006 'original' format releases rather than the special editions. The 2006 releases were shitty in quality, as they were taken from a 1993 master print, but I still prefer them.

I first saw Star Wars in a cinema (the first film from 1977) in 1997 when the special edition had a cinematic season. It was awesome. I've never seen Empire in a cinema. The first SW film I saw in a cinema was ROTJ in 1983. Blown away I was.

^ If you've been living in a galaxy faw faw waway and have never seen the RLM review of Episode 1, fill the esky and strap into your favourite recliner. There are about 21 segments to get through. Sit away from electricity. You will spit your beer regularly.
Enjoy:

Some genius has edited every film so far into every highlight in one trailer .. this is ace ..

I first saw Star Wars in a cinema (the first film from 1977) in 1997 when the special edition had a cinematic season. It was awesome. I've never seen Empire in a cinema.
I saw the first one at the Odeon Leicester Square (at the time, it was probably the biggest screen in the UK).
There was hardly anybody there, as we went in the day during the week and it was some time after it had been released - so no distracting noises from other people. We had the run of the place.

I saw the original Star Wars and Empire... at the flicks in a double bill when Empire... was released. I've since seen every main sequence Star Wars movie at the cinema, as well as the more recent Rogue One and Solo. Honestly, I now don't think I have much appetite for seeing the next movie at the cinema. I haven't bothered buying Solo on blu-ray (I thought it was a bit rubbish), and the image of Leia flying through space was so utterly ridiculous, I'm scared to haul my carcass to the flicks and hand over a medium sized fortune just to be offended by such soulless excrement. Perhaps, at forty-five, I'm just too old for Star Wars now.

Perhaps, at five, I'm just too old for Star Wars now.

Fixed that for you.

The first one was cutting edge to look at, despite having dialogue written by a fourteen-year old for ten-year olds.

Its successors have all travelled to a colon far, far away, i.e. up their own arses.

maximus otter

Interesting article, anything with Brutalist and Star Wars in the same sentence is worth a read!

The mystery of Star Wars and Tunisia's rundown Brutalist hotel
By Neil Arun
BBC News
10 April 2019
The Hotel du Lac has seen better days. Its distinctive shape, resembling an inverted pyramid or a bird in flight, has been making a statement on the Tunis skyline since the early 1970s.

It stood once for the ambition and poise of Tunisia, a young nation emerging from colonial rule and stretching its wings. Today it stands abandoned, prey to the elements after years of neglect, its fate hanging in the balance.

Demolition is a likely option. "The building is on life-support," says Sahbi Gorgy, a Tunisian architect involved in drawing up plans for the site on behalf of its Libyan owners.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-afri...T0VqSQk-mr9KTIn-U3MzFw94UDYF4iPI1J8I2xoUtMh54

I've just learned from facebook's Charity Shop Shit that my '97 original trilogy VHS box set is actually worth something these days to collectors, I'm not sure why seeing as it's a crappy 'George Lucas improved' box set?

I'll be sticking mine on ebay, I doubt this seller's going to get over 50 quid but I'll be keeping an eyes on sales of these now ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2828209079...7zebZ6UiEkUpvXnDQkv4l6QGvNvlVqLxOoVTbYdr_xRhw

Yep I've got that Special Edition box set - although I think mine is silver, not gold.

Prepare for a Star Wars Christmas Special! No, not that one!
This one - *Evil Palpatine laughter* :

I can barely contain my indifference. It doesn't look like a Return of the Jedi knock off as far you can tell here but it's Abrams, so it probably will be. I assumed the Emperor laugh would be some kind of bait and switch but apparently Ian McDiarmid appeared onstage at Star Wars Celebration... just what we need more elderly carcasses being dredged up for more nostalgia mining.

Oh, I don't know, it looks like fun. I was a curmudgeon about TFA, but TLJ was a total blast, so I'm on board. Lowered expectations can be a good thing. Maybe Palpatine was laughing because Lando was laughing? An infectious giggle.

Prepare for a Star Wars Christmas Special! No, not that one!

We do get to see Chewie's son though .. again .. or this is him about to eat a baby

achewiekid.jpg

Oh, I don't know, it looks like fun. I was a curmudgeon about TFA, but TLJ was a total blast, so I'm on board. Lowered expectations can be a good thing. Maybe Palpatine was laughing because Lando was laughing? An infectious giggle.

My enthusiasm is about 2/10 and my expectations are about 4/10. It'll probably be somewhere between acceptable and fine, like the previous two but Abrams is a bit of a hack and seems to love setting things up (he set up far too much in TFA, which partially hamstrung TLJ, in fairness Johnson buggered with it enough to pass the flaming turd back, so one all) but not necessarily paying them off, not great for the wrapping up of not just one but three trilogies.

So....who is the Skywalker that is rising? As far as we know there aren't any left, except for Kylo Ren who is half-Skywalker.

Please don't let it be Rey. That's way too predictable.

Although if Palpatine is back....maybe Anakin is too?

So....who is the Skywalker that is rising? As far as we know there aren't any left, except for Kylo Ren who is half-Skywalker.

Please don't let it be Rey. That's way too predictable.

Although if Palpatine is back....maybe Anakin is too?
Psst! It's Jar Jar Binks. Well, you did ask.

Possibility of incest aside, isn't any Skywalker going to be half Skywalker?

Back