• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
That's one for the list, ramon. The Horror Channel does get it right sometimes; I'm still thinking about Radius which I saw a few weeks ago.

Velvet Buzzshaw: A satire on the Art industry, a dark comedy, a Horror Film. Velvet Buzzshaw was the name of a punk Band, it's lead singer Rhodora Haze (Rene Russo) now runs the Haze Gallery and has a buzzsaw tattoo on the back of her neck. She really is channelling Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada. Her put upon assistant Josephina (Zawe Ashton) discovers a cache of paintings by a dead outsider artist, Vetril Dease. Along with Haze she decides to profit from the paintings. Josephina's boyfriend Morf (Jake Gyllenhaal) is an art critic who delights in destroying reputations but is fascinated with Dease and decides to research his life. His interest though pales in comparison with the way artist Piers (John Malkovich) becomes obsessed with Deases's art.

The backstabbing, gossiping everyday life of the Art World is brilliantly displayed by the bitchy Gretchen (Toni Collette) who delights in breaking up relationships by revealing tales of infidelities. But as things take a supernatural turn everyone in this pocket universe is at risk. The pictures painted by Dease seem somehow cursed or haunted causing other art works to come to life in lethal manners. Monkeys animate and pull a man into a painting, colours flow and kill. Coco (Natalia Dyer) is a peripatetic art assistant, she has a darkly comic roles as she moves from boss to boss and they perish in the most artful ways and the definition of work of art is rather flexible.

While this is a satire and a comedy the horror is very real and some scenes are not for the squeamish or faint hearted. Director and screenwriter Dan Gilroy delivers an enjoyable and funny horror treat. 8/10. On Netflix.

Velvet Buzzshaw: A satire on the Art industry, a dark comedy, a Horror Film. Velvet Buzzshaw was the name of a punk Band, it's lead singer Rhodora Haze (Rene Russo) now runs the Haze Gallery and has a buzzsaw tattoo on the back of her neck. She really is channelling Miranda Priestly from The Devil Wears Prada. Her put upon assistant Josephina (Zawe Ashton) discovers a cache of paintings by a dead outsider artist, Vetril Dease. Along with Haze she decides to profit from the paintings. Josephina's boyfriend Morf (Jake Gyllenhaal) is an art critic who delights in destroying reputations but is fascinated with Dease and decides to research his life. His interest though pales in comparison with the way artist Piers (John Malkovich) becomes obsessed with Deases's art.

The backstabbing, gossiping everyday life of the Art World is brilliantly displayed by the bitchy Gretchen (Toni Collette) who delights in breaking up relationships by revealing tales of infidelities. But as things take a supernatural turn everyone in this pocket universe is at risk. The pictures painted by Dease seem somehow cursed or haunted causing other art works to come to life in lethal manners. Monkeys animate and pull a man into a painting, colours flow and kill. Coco (Natalia Dyer) is a peripatetic art assistant, she has a darkly comic roles as she moves from boss to boss and they perish in the most artful ways and the definition of work of art is rather flexible.

While this is a satire and a comedy the horror is very real and some scenes are not for the squeamish or faint hearted. Director and screenwriter Dan Gilroy delivers an enjoyable and funny horror treat. 8/10. On Netflix.

It was all right as an update of 80s slasher horror with the elaborate setpiece kills, but the message seemed to be "opinions are bad, and you're a bad person for having opinions." Plus its view of the artworld was about 20 years out of date, maybe more.

It was all right as an update of 80s slasher horror with the elaborate setpiece kills, but the message seemed to be "opinions are bad, and you're a bad person for having opinions." Plus its view of the artworld was about 20 years out of date, maybe more.

Dunno, there's still a lot of that kind of stuff around in Dublin. Maybe Dublin is 20 years out of date?

I didn't get the message that opinions are bad, ather that those who give bad/good reviews based on their humour (or who they fancy) are bad. Perhaps the film was a tad moralistic as all of those who perish were intent on exploiting Dease's art for monetary gain.

The curse (or whatever) in the paintings by Dease seemed to be supernatural and was far more effective as a horror trope than Freddie.

Seeing as how Gilroy was ripping off Wes Craven, I'm not so sure about that. In fact it reminded me of a Wishmaster movie.

Also, what's the point of art if you don't have an opinion on it? Isn't it supposed to be the basis of discussion? The non-religious stuff, anyway. Just because Gilroy had a few sniffy reviews and his last film underperformed, Velvet Buzzsaw looks like sour grapes.

Seeing as how Gilroy was ripping off Wes Craven, I'm not so sure about that. In fact it reminded me of a Wishmaster movie.

Also, what's the point of art if you don't have an opinion on it? Isn't it supposed to be the basis of discussion? The non-religious stuff, anyway. Just because Gilroy had a few sniffy reviews and his last film underperformed, Velvet Buzzsaw looks like sour grapes.

He wasn't ripping off Craven he was using a completely different horror trope.

Which was?

Various pieces of art coming to life in a murderous manner.

Not every horror film is a rip off of another if it it uses something similar.

Every Vampire film made after Nosferatu is not a rip off of that work.

Various pieces of art coming to life in a murderous manner.

Not every horror film is a rip off of another if it it uses something similar.

Every Vampire film made after Nosferatu is not a rip off of that work.
I haven't seen Velvet Buzzsaw but the idea behind it you're describing reminds me of that 80's horror WAXWORK, what with the exhibits being haunted and so dragging people in to the displays with murderous intent ..

I haven't seen Velvet Buzzsaw but the idea behind it you're describing reminds me of that 80's horror WAXWORK, what with the exhibits being haunted and so dragging people in to the displays with murderous intent ..

In this case monkeys come to life and drag an unfortunate into their painting; paints literally flow, evelop their victim and imprison her in a mural. Central to the story is the outsider artist Dease.

In this case monkeys come to life and drag an unfortunate into their painting; paints literally flow, evelop their victim and imprison her in a mural. Central to the story is the outsider artist Dease.
So we've got some In The Mouth Of Madness/Dorian Grey shenanigans ?. .. fucking monkeys ..

And Waxwork was basically a child of Elm Street. I can think of entertainments that have paintings come to life (Three Cases of Murder, The Box of Delights), but having art kill in novelty ways is pure Craven.

I'm sure I've seen Waxwork, but can't really remember it so I don't think I liked it. The discussion about Velvet Buzzsaw is making me want to see it. The actors' list alone is interesting.

I also like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. It is interesting how the set itself is part of the story. I don't want to give the story away, but the set design throughout had me questioning why it was done in such a way and the ending explained it.

I'm sure I've seen Waxwork, but can't really remember it so I don't think I liked it. The discussion about Velvet Buzzsaw is making me want to see it. The actors' list alone is interesting.
It's the one where Patrick Mcnee in a wheelchair gets torn in half by a werewolf.

I thought the trailer looked good, and haunted paintings are always going to be a winner, but I'm afraid I just didn't like this one at all. There was a good story in there, but the surrounding pretentious art world bits were imho overlong and dull. This might have been better as pure horror, with no satire. I wasn't a fan, I'm afraid. (But I did like Coco.)

I thought the trailer looked good, and haunted paintings are always going to be a winner, but I'm afraid I just didn't like this one at all. There was a good story in there, but the surrounding pretentious art world bits were imho overlong and dull. This might have been better as pure horror, with no satire. I wasn't a fan, I'm afraid. (But I did like Coco.)

Different tastes!

I liked the art world overlay but it might have worked even better as a horror film with just the bare bones art scene setting without all of the satire.

Different tastes!

It's what makes the world go round! I was wracking my brain trying to think of any other haunted picture horrors - apart from Dorian Gray and a Stephen King short story, I'm drawing (lol) a blank. Does anyone have any haunted art film recs? It seems like a great opportunity, and I can't believe I only came up with two.

It's what makes the world go round! I was wracking my brain trying to think of any other haunted picture horrors - apart from Dorian Gray and a Stephen King short story, I'm drawing (lol) a blank. Does anyone have any haunted art film recs? It seems like a great opportunity, and I can't believe I only came up with two.

How about Paperhouse?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperhouse_(film)

I was JUST about to post similar. Bloody loved that film; in fact, I think I've got it on DVD still.

Back