• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Kemetism

James_H

And I like to roam the land
...is a neopagan 'revival' of Ancient Egyptian Religion.

The Ancient Egyptian Religion Making a Comeback in the Modern World
According to historians at Michigan State University, Kemetism emerged in the 1970s and 1980s alongside other forms of neo-paganism. These revivalist movements were often rooted in an attempt to accurately reconstruct the ancient past. As archaeologists learned more about ancient Egyptian society and culture, some people began to feel a connection with these ancient beliefs and practices.

It turns out there are variant streams or sub-groups within Kemetism / Kemeticism ...

There are several main groups, each of which take a different approach to their beliefs, ranging from eclectic to reconstructionistic. However, all of these can be identified as belonging to three strains, including reconstructed Orthodox Kemetism (adopting a philological approach, also Kemetic Orthodoxy)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemetism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemetic_Orthodoxy

In 1998 or 1999 I went to an open evening in the Kings Cross area of London.
There was a building of which the ground floor had been renovated and turned into a centre for the study of Ancient Egyptian "religion", well that was what was claimed by the man who was running it.
A grand total of three people turned up, including me.

I spoke to the man whose name escapes me and he claimed he was continuing the religion of the pyramid builders, which had been practiced continually since their building, by a tiny percentage of Egyptians.

He claimed to be Egyptian and from his look and accent it was believable.
He also claimed to be descended from Egyptian pyramid priests thousands of years ago. And a martial arts expert.
[Edit: see later post, his name was Ramses Seleem.]

The "centre point" of this building was a colonic irrigation room, with a set of tubes and nozzles.
He said this was very important in his religion and he practiced it almost every day.

He seemed very keen to sign me up to join his religious classes for a fee.

I got chatting to one of the other two visitors, and she said she was sceptical.

Two months later I bumped into her on the tube (Fortean coincidence!) and asked her whether she had joined up.
She said no, she had not, and that the centre had closed the day after the open evening as the man had not been able to pay the rent.
No wonder he seemed so keen for me to pay.

Last edited:
I misread your OP title as 'Kermetism' and thought it would be about the gospel of 'it's not easy being green'! [apologies]

There was a building of which the ground floor had been renovated and turned into a centre for the study of Ancient Egyptian "religion", well that was what was claimed by the man who was running it.

I spoke to the man whose name escapes me and he claimed he was continuing the religion of the pyramid builders, which had been practiced continually since their building, by a tiny percentage of Egyptians.

He also claimed to be descended from Egyptian pyramid priests thousands of years ago. And a martial arts expert.

The "centre point" of this building was a colonic irrigation room, with a set of tubes and nozzles.
He said this was very important in his religion and he practiced it almost every day.

I got chatting to one of the other two visitors, and she said she was sceptical.

Two months later I bumped into her on the tube (Fortean coincidence!) and asked her whether she had joined up.
She said no, she had not, and that the centre had closed the day after the open evening as the man had not been able to pay the rent.
Great account, thank you for posting!

Just as well it closed. Daily colonic irrigation can actually be a bad thing.

Kermit&KleopigtraBook-German-1985.jpg

Back