• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dolls?

From the excellent Mitch O'Connell blog on US Fleamarket finds:

"He'll work his way into your heart ... with a knife"

He'll work his way into your heart.8.jpg

I can recall a clip of film from way back which demonstrated the way babies perceive the world. Parents will fondly note the happy smiles brought on by the proximity of a favourite toy. Scientists showed that a similar effect could be achieved by two eyeballs nailed to a stick.

The eyes have it, I suppose! :freak:

My sister absolutely hates porcelain dolls and is terrified of them for some reason. They don't bother me even though they can be creepy I suppose.

Ah thanks Vida Loca so that's what I can do with the bits of old dolls I've got stored in my boxes of craft stuff! (I can't quite bring myself to throw them away as one day I might mend them, after all they were my childhood companions!)

[This post comes to you in loving memory of Rebecca, Bessie and Chryselda who were never scarey. ;) ]

Sollywos x

I like the half dolls used for pincushions and things to hide loo roll!

A friend was crocheting those well into the 1980s, possibly later. She told me one day that she was amazed that nobody wanted them any more!

My posher relations had them when I was a child and I'd feel sorry for the dollies whose duty it was to guard toilet rolls when they could be out having fun with my toys instead.

I'd feel sorry for the dollies whose duty it was to guard toilet rolls when they could be out having fun with my toys instead.

you old softie!

My half dolls remind me of the Black Dahlia murder :(

Edit to add: Her /name/ was Elizabeth Short. Her death is why she is remembered by most of the people who remember her. She deserved better.

Last edited:
Never really been one for dolls, I had a family of toy mice living in my dolls house as a child, the size made more sense to me! Having said that, last month I bought this amazing early Victorian fortune telling doll, so I thought she would be quite apt to post! As creepy as you like and with a slight Fortean leaning. You lift up her skirts and choose one of the folded pieces of paper to decide your fortune!

Michael --slowblackcrowblack- • Instagram photos and videos 2-23-2019 12-40-47 PM.pngMichael --slowblackcrowblack- • Instagram photos and videos 2-23-2019 12-42-15 PM.pngMichael --slowblackcrowblack- • Instagram photos and videos 2-23-2019 12-41-18 PM.pngMichael --slowblackcrowblack- • Instagram photos and videos 2-23-2019 12-41-40 PM.pngMichael --slowblackcrowblack- • Instagram photos and videos 2-23-2019 12-42-47 PM.png
(photos pinched from Mr Rabbit).

Never really been one for dolls, I had a family of toy mice living in my dolls house as a child, the size made more sense to me! Having said that, last month I bought this amazing early Victorian fortune telling doll, so I thought she would be quite apt to post! As creepy as you like and with a slight Fortean leaning. You lift up her skirts and choose one of the folded pieces of paper to decide your fortune!

View attachment 15182View attachment 15183View attachment 15184View attachment 15185View attachment 15186
(photos pinched from Mr Rabbit).
Love that. Black cat, too! I wrote a piece last year about a tiny wooden doll that one of the children in the Donner Party had with her. And the child mangaed to keep the doll (a dolls' house one, so very tiny) hidden in her clothing, the whole way through the ordeal - it was never firewood and was kept long after the other toys abandoned in the desert on the ill-fated journey. Kinda Fortean, I guess. Will be out in a US magazine re. historical crafts, some time later this year. Have seen the pedlar dolls but never this fortune teller. Red cloaks were the sign of countrywomen in the 18thC and 19thC.

Back