• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

80s Treasure Map TV Programme

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
Can anyone remember a documentary on telly from the '80's (maybe) about a young chap who finds or inherits a treasure map and decides to check it's authenticity with a few of his Public School chums and a Film Crew ? I think they wound up on a small uninhabited Caribbean island (may have been elsewhere), which was just scrub land with no distinguishing features like big trees or rocks or a big red X. The map was therefore pretty useless and I don't know how the story ended. It wasn't an episode of Chronicle or Time Watch but it had a similar feel about it.

Can anyone remember a documentary on telly from the '80's (maybe) about a young chap who finds or inherits a treasure map and decides to check it's authenticity with a few of his Public School chums and a Film Crew ? I think they wound up on a small uninhabited Caribbean island (may have been elsewhere), which was just scrub land with no distinguishing features like big trees or rocks or a big red X. The map was therefore pretty useless and I don't know how the story ended. It wasn't an episode of Chronicle or Time Watch but it had a similar feel about it.
The Goonies?

Oh god I hope it wasn't the curse of Mandela again- the prog wasn't fiction as far as I remember, it was about a group of people and a camera crew following a possibly authentic treasure map. It had my attention, but I can find no trace of it.

As Essy said, the Oak Island thing has been going on for years - there's a series about it still on History - and it's been the subject of countless documentaries. It's thirty years ago, so you may have just conflated it with another programme?

As Essy said, the Oak Island thing has been going on for years - there's a series about it still on History - and it's been the subject of countless documentaries. It's thirty years ago, so you may have just conflated it with another programme?

Yup, you can mix up memories of things that're similar. I did this with a couple of books I read as a teenager and it puzzled me for years.

Yes - I was watching The Dead Pool (the Dirty Harry movie, not the Merc with the Mouth) for the first time in years not long ago, and was puzzled when a certain sequence didn't appear, then remembered that was in Tightrope, another Eastwood policier. Easily done.

Yup, you can mix up memories of things that're similar. I did this with a couple of books I read as a teenager and it puzzled me for years.

I find that I get things that I discovered in childhood around the same time mixed up. For example, way back in the 80s I became aware of Charles Dance for the first time (in a great drama called First Born), and saw Wayne Sleep on a different programme at roughly the same time.

Ever since then the two of them are linked in my brain- i used to get them confused although i know which is which now!
Even now though whenever I hear one of their names I automatically think of the other.

My childhood confusion might have been exacerbated by the fact that Wayne Sleep is a dancer, of course. (And although I have no evidence for this, I do believe that Charles Dance sleeps for a portion of each day).

Update: by a process of elimination it is possible that the young chap I saw on the prog was Frederick "Cork" Graham. If so, the map would have belonged to his partner Richard Knight, who inherited it from his Grandfather and supposedly led to to Captain Kidd's treasure on the Vietnamese island of Phú Quốc or one nearby (not Oak Island). Shortly after landing they were both arrested by the Vietnam Government in 1983 and held for over a year until their 'fine' was paid. Phú Quốc looks a lot like a Treasure Island (more so than the Caribbean ones).
Question remains, what was the programme I saw on UK TV in the early '80s ? I didn't have Discovery or any Satelite channels so it would have been a terrestrial one.

... Question remains, what was the programme I saw on UK TV in the early '80s ? I didn't have Discovery or any Satelite channels so it would have been a terrestrial one.

Do you recall whether the show seemed to be of UK versus US (or any other) origin / production?

I find that I get things that I discovered in childhood around the same time mixed up. For example, way back in the 80s I became aware of Charles Dance for the first time (in a great drama called First Born), and saw Wayne Sleep on a different programme at roughly the same time.

Ever since then the two of them are linked in my brain- i used to get them confused although i know which is which now!
Even now though whenever I hear one of their names I automatically think of the other.

My childhood confusion might have been exacerbated by the fact that Wayne Sleep is a dancer, of course. (And although I have no evidence for this, I do believe that Charles Dance sleeps for a portion of each day).
I have a similar thing only with First Born and Mother Love (starring the brilliant Diana Rigg but not in any way featuring Charles Dance). Both were brilliant and have snappy two word titles w ith a similar theme.

Wonder if anyone has ever done a study into pain associated with viewing programmes creating a memory? Like the way scent is associated with a particular memory?

I have one episode of Babylon 5 ('The rock cried out no hiding place' if anyone's interested) which I associate with having a really bad back ache. And my son vividly remembers one night being up throwing up and he and I watching the Winter Olympics - he can even remember which sporting events we watched. I can't, but then I wasn't ill...

Mother Love was the first thing I ever saw Diana Rigg in...
Brings back some memories, that does!

Mind you, always thought of Diana being more elegant, rather than, 'sexy'.

Just Googled a prime example there and...

...Oh Holy Bejesus....

1550513819206211.jpg

(goes to stand on some cold lino)

Anyway...

I go along with the pain/memory thing. I have quite limited pain sensation so remember when I have had it, and when I had septicaemia I definitely had it. I was so drugged up I couldn't change the channel (I was in isolation so had my own telly - this was 1996) and so passively sat through a whole Friday night of Channel 4. The Girlie Show. I was so stoned I actually didn't object to it.

I'm packing even as I type! My only previous experience of glamping was Glamping with Llamas.
We'll meet you there and be fascinating to hear about that experience.

Weather forecast for the next week is fabulous as well - onset of spring awaits us all in that glorious setting.

Phú Quốc looks a lot like a Treasure Island (more so than the Caribbean ones).
I suspect Phú Quốc in 1983 may well have looked like a treasure island, although I'll bet there wasn't much evidence of it to the locals. Ironically enough, I spent what could qualify for the happiest week of my life on Phú Quốc around 7 years ago - it was genuinely idyllic. My father-in-law tells me it has been substantially developed for the tourist trade since then. Shame - they risk losing what made it so special.

Back