• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unhappy Houses & Odd Happenings

Vida Loca. This will sound weird but when my daughter was trying to sell her house I read an article that said if you bury a statue of St. Joseph in front of the doorstep you will sell a house.
I bought a nativity set from an opshop and she buried the little figurine.
Sure enough the house sold soon after.
Might have been coincidence but she had been getting worried about selling.

Hi Vida Loca, I can understand why you are getting so fed up! In between houses is a distressing enough time as it is but when it drags on and on it's even worse. The only positive I can put on it is that maybe the delay is for a good reason and that something else further down/up the line needs to slot into place first. And maybe you'll never find out what it was as it was really for someone elses destiny to work out? I've had some awful moves in my time so I'm not wishing to make light of it and I do hope everything slots into place for you soon!

Sollywos x

I was also looking for any online link to what I recall as an episode of, 'House Detectives'.

Duly investigating an old house with potentially interesting history, in a bedroom, one wall is emblazed with a 'Biblical' script intended to, 'ward off evil'.

Really fascinating... anyone help with this?
Still searching and I will find.

Meantime, have to locate this as well.

In another episode, they are exploring the history of an ancient house - maybe once a medieval priory or something like that?

There are remnants of a building underneath and Dan Cruikshank enquires of the lady owner, did she undertake any measures to maybe shore up the foundations.

Lady owner explains that she had indeed employed a couple of builders.

Alas, whilst working one day, both rapidly emerged from the foundations, in a state of panic, exclaiming, 'We're never going back down there again' and that was the last she ever heard from them.

Iris it may very well have worked for your daughter. Don't think it would for me though sadly.

Thanks Sollywos x

Still searching and I will find.

Meantime, have to locate this as well.

In another episode, they are exploring the history of an ancient house - maybe once a medieval priory or something like that?

There are remnants of a building underneath and Dan Cruikshank enquires of the lady owner, did she undertake any measures to maybe shore up the foundations.

Lady owner explains that she had indeed employed a couple of builders.

Alas, whilst working one day, both rapidly emerged from the foundations, in a state of panic, exclaiming, 'We're never going back down there again' and that was the last she ever heard from them.

The builders must have been British :miner:

Odd happening involving a house. Went out to celebrate St Patricks Day ( only now am I recovered). We were walking up a hill to a music venue and it has houses where the living room windows reach almost to the pavement - they are very old houses. As we walked past one of them out of the corner of my eye I could see into one of them as the light was on and there were no curtains. It had a large window. This was around 6pm. I quickly glanced as I passed not to be nosey and could see a couple of people and the usual sofa set up. I thought no more about it until on the way back down the hill around 8pm or so. The house was in darkness and I don't know why but I glanced in again. It was well lit from a streetlight nearby. The room was empty and I mean empty - no carpet or anything. Can't work it out. Maybe they moved out or perhaps moved everything out of the room to decorate or something. Anyway it really puzzled me. No it wasn't down to intoxication that came later. :boozing:

Odd happening involving a house. Went out to celebrate St Patricks Day ( only now am I recovered). We were walking up a hill to a music venue and it has houses where the living room windows reach almost to the pavement - they are very old houses. As we walked past one of them out of the corner of my eye I could see into one of them as the light was on and there were no curtains. It had a large window. This was around 6pm. I quickly glanced as I passed not to be nosey and could see a couple of people and the usual sofa set up. I thought no more about it until on the way back down the hill around 8pm or so. The house was in darkness and I don't know why but I glanced in again. It was well lit from a streetlight nearby. The room was empty and I mean empty - no carpet or anything. Can't work it out. Maybe they moved out or perhaps moved everything out of the room to decorate or something. Anyway it really puzzled me. No it wasn't down to intoxication that came later. :boozing:

Perhaps they'd cleared the room for a pending celebration of their own?

Any chance those houses are split into rented rooms? Someone could have a sofa bed that they use for sitting on during the day but was made up as a bed (and under the window, hence you not being able to see it) for the night?

At a loss about the carpet though.

I have just remembered an old episode of Escape to the Country that I saw - probably about 10 years ago or more, and the couple were being shown around a fairly old house and all of a sudden the man said he had to get out and just ran. They interviewed him outside and he was adamant he had seen something in the house and nothing they could say would persuade him to go back in! Unfortunately I can't remember where the house was so I can't find out which episode it was :(

I don't know what to think Catseye. Probably a reasonable explanation for it I expect. Still find it odd. Shame about not being able to remember mrs_mose I would have liked to have seen that.

I have just remembered an old episode of Escape to the Country that I saw - probably about 10 years ago or more, and the couple were being shown around a fairly old house and all of a sudden the man said he had to get out and just ran. They interviewed him outside and he was adamant he had seen something in the house and nothing they could say would persuade him to go back in! Unfortunately I can't remember where the house was so I can't find out which episode it was :(

That's fantastic, what brilliant TV. Wish I'd seen it. I'd buy that house.

That's fantastic, what brilliant TV. Wish I'd seen it. I'd buy that house.

Sort of reminds me of an episode of Parky, when he was interviewing Joanna Lumley. Her and a partner were viewing a house to rent, and she said she could see a man hanging from the hallway celling.

Also (I think it was in the same interview), on moving into a new house, she said that one of the removal men was rude to her whilst she was shifting boxes around in the basement, when she complained to the foreman, he calmly explained to her that all the removal men were counted for upstairs, and none of them were in the basement – she went downstairs to check and the basement was completely empty.

Just thought I would pop back in to tell you all of the latest thing this house has done.

Pipe under the bath spouting gallons of water, flooded kitchen, damaged plasterboard ceiling, 400 quid emergency out of hours plumber charge.

We hope to pick up the keys to the new house this coming week...

Bloody'ell Scribbles Mate, that's some costly polting there! Let's hope it doesn't follow you to the new place.

Yes that sounds like the one!! Well done!!
Alas, the specific episode was not identified, unless there have been updates to that thread. Or do you have to register to see the answer? Grr!

Just thought I would pop back in to tell you all of the latest thing this house has done.

Pipe under the bath spouting gallons of water, flooded kitchen, damaged plasterboard ceiling, 400 quid emergency out of hours plumber charge.

Oh NOOOO !! What a finale from that house ghost/polt.... doesn't do things by half does it? Poor you .. yep time you were gone from there. Hope moving day is fun after all that!

Sollywos x

Sort of reminds me of an episode of Parky, when he was interviewing Joanna Lumley. Her and a partner were viewing a house to rent, and she said she could see a man hanging from the hallway celling.

Also (I think it was in the same interview), on moving into a new house, she said that one of the removal men was rude to her whilst she was shifting boxes around in the basement, when she complained to the foreman, he calmly explained to her that all the removal men were counted for upstairs, and none of them were in the basement – she went downstairs to check and the basement was completely empty.

Gloria Hunniford did one of those 'Celebrity Ghost Stories' slots. She said her weird experience happened when she was viewing a house that was empty.

She let herself in with a key. (I think she was with someone else but I'm not sure.)

The house was normal except for a coffin in one of the downstairs rooms! She found this a little unusual to say the least.

Gloria Hunniford did one of those 'Celebrity Ghost Stories' slots. She said her weird experience happened when she was viewing a house that was empty.

She let herself in with a key. (I think she was with someone else but I'm not sure.)

The house was normal except for a coffin in one of the downstairs rooms! She found this a little unusual to say the least.
I assume it was daytime? I would have been seriously reluctant to look inside. But terribly curious at the same time!

I assume it was daytime? I would have been seriously reluctant to look inside. But terribly curious at the same time!

She let herself in, possibly with a companion (maybe the estate agent or whoever she was buying the house with) and looked around. The house was empty of furniture except for the coffin.

I'd thought this was on the UK version of Celebrity Ghost Stories but I've checked and it's not so I dunno where I saw it.
Surely someone else on'ere saw it too?

Reminds me of the last day in our weird old house.

All the furniture had been packed up and taken into storage, and the family were sitting on the living room floor waiting to hear from the estate agent, to confirm that the sale had completed.

As it was a damp and chilly day, I decided to put the heating on but the boiler wasn’t firing up, in the 11 years we lived in that property we had never had a problem with the boiler, but on the very day we leave it breaks down on us.

You could imagine how frustrating it was, I didn’t know how we stood on a legal basis, only a few weeks before I had signed legal papers to say that the boiler was in good condition, and that it had never given us any issues - added to that, we had just received a text from the buyers (who we were on good terms with) to say they were on their way round to us and should be about an hour

The house next door had exactly the same boiler, so I decided to knock there and see if the guy who lived there could offer any assistance, thankfully he was in, so he grabbed his tool bag and followed me into the kitchen to where the boiler was located.

He took the casing off the boiler and straight away said that he knew what the problem was, I asked if it could be fixed quickly, and he smiled as he turned a switch on the boiler from the off position to the on position

I was gobsmacked, I had never taken the casing off that boiler and didn’t even have the right tools to do so, the wife wouldn’t have done so nor obviously the kids.

I asked my neighbour if the switch could be activated externally from the boiler, i.e. from any other part of the house, but he said no, the only way to switch that boiler on or off, was to take the casing off and do manually.

It was the last trick the house played upon us.

Reminds me of the last day in our weird old house.

All the furniture had been packed up and taken into storage, and the family were sitting on the living room floor waiting to hear from the estate agent, to confirm that the sale had completed.

As it was a damp and chilly day, I decided to put the heating on but the boiler wasn’t firing up, in the 11 years we lived in that property we had never had a problem with the boiler, but on the very day we leave it breaks down on us.

You could imagine how frustrating it was, I didn’t know how we stood on a legal basis, only a few weeks before I had signed legal papers to say that the boiler was in good condition, and that it had never given us any issues - added to that, we had just received a text from the buyers (who we were on good terms with) to say they were on their way round to us and should be about an hour

The house next door had exactly the same boiler, so I decided to knock there and see if the guy who lived there could offer any assistance, thankfully he was in, so he grabbed his tool bag and followed me into the kitchen to where the boiler was located.

He took the casing off the boiler and straight away said that he knew what the problem was, I asked if it could be fixed quickly, and he smiled as he turned a switch on the boiler from the off position to the on position

I was gobsmacked, I had never taken the casing off that boiler and didn’t even have the right tools to do so, the wife wouldn’t have done so nor obviously the kids.

I asked my neighbour if the switch could be activated externally from the boiler, i.e. from any other part of the house, but he said no, the only way to switch that boiler on or off, was to take the casing off and do manually.

It was the last trick the house played upon us.
Ooh, that's truly creepy. But at least it didn't cost you anything, unlike the bundle poor Scribbles has to pay!

Vida Loca. This will sound weird but when my daughter was trying to sell her house I read an article that said if you bury a statue of St. Joseph in front of the doorstep you will sell a house.
I bought a nativity set from an opshop and she buried the little figurine.
Sure enough the house sold soon after.
Might have been coincidence but she had been getting worried about selling.
I know this message got posted a long time ago, but having just read it now, I figure I ought to comment in case someone were to try this. There's an important detail: the statue of St. Joseph needs to be buried UPSIDE DOWN. I know people who have done this and swear by it. (Now there's a scientific measure, LOL!)

She let herself in, possibly with a companion (maybe the estate agent or whoever she was buying the house with) and looked around. The house was empty of furniture except for the coffin.

I'd thought this was on the UK version of Celebrity Ghost Stories but I've checked and it's not so I dunno where I saw it.
Surely someone else on'ere saw it too?

I am sure I remember seeing this too but I remembered Anne Diamond and not Gloria Hunniford and after a quick google, I think that's right as the story shows up in a couple of online articles:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2004556/Anne-Diamond-The-ghost-tried-sell-house.html

I heard Richard Madley (of Richard and Judy fame) tell a story where his friend was viewing a house that he and his wife were thinking of buying. Walking up the stairs, as the owners showed them around, the husband turned to have a look back down into the large living room. When he turned back he said to the owners ''That's odd'', I've just had a vision of rows of hospital beds with people in them''. The owners of the house went white and informed him that the place had indeed once been a hospital (or used as a hospital during war time).

Back