• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The picture below is of Exeter Station, New South Wales, Australia. I lived in this village for 8 years and the station itself is of keen interest for train enthusiasts having appeared in many t.v commercial, t.v programs and movies.
A train derailment here in 1914 claimed 14 lives and on the anniversary of the event, screams and moans are said to be heard throughout the night. Whilst living there, my niece (who also has an interest in the paranormal) and I, spent some hours sitting by the tracks listening for any ghostly moans. I'm afraid we didn't hear anything remotely supernatural.
The control room (where the number 1 sign is) is also said to be haunted by a former Station Master who died on the job and is still there finishing his shift.
It's quite a beautiful little station and you can now stay there in the former Station Master's house.
View attachment 13833
That certainly is a beautiful station, and if you don't mind me saying so, an extremely British-looking one. Apart from the slightly orangey colour of the station buildings, this could be any well-preserved rural station in this country. I'm thinking somewhere ex-GWR, maybe...

I have mentioned on the Police Story thread reading Credible Witness: Paranormal Police Stories by Andy Gilbert.

One of the stories involved is actually railway based. More specifically signal box based. Even more specifically, Betley Signal Box, near Crewe (don't get too excited, Escargot).

Basically, the British Transport Police control at Birmingham receive a call from ambulance control that an emergency call has been received from this box, but the call was disconnected without the caller speaking. There are another three calls from the same signal box - but a voice speaks only once, saying, 'ambulance please'.

BTP then phone the box - that call is answered, but no-one speaks. On enquiry Network Rail confirm that the number is correct but that the signal box in question has not been used for several years. BTP make a further call to the box, the call is answered - a train is heard in the background and the person on the other end identifies themselves as a signaller - but their voice is described as 'strange', and the call is disconnected before the reason for the emergency call can be ascertained.

The peelers eventually visit the site in question - but turns out that the signal box no longer exists, having been ‘demolished’.

Notes: A quick online search suggests that the signal box was not demolished, as such, but closed in 2004, dismantled and moved elsewhere. The events related above allegedly took place in April 2011.

I don’t think having a phone number still registered to an obsolete site is as anomalous as it might initially appear – not within the context of a large and complex industrial network.

I think this might be the site of the signal box – just south of the Den lane bridge near Wrinehill - the associated redbrick utility structure still in place:

Beltey Road signal box.png

The signal box top was moved to Northampton & Lamport Railway and after initial storage at Pitsford was used for Boughton Sidings signal box,
question is does it have a outside phone line and what is the number.

I have mentioned on the Police Story thread reading Credible Witness: Paranormal Police Stories by Andy Gilbert.

One of the stories involved is actually railway based. More specifically signal box based. Even more specifically, Betley Signal Box, near Crewe (don't get too excited, Escargot).

Basically, the British Transport Police control at Birmingham receive a call from ambulance control that an emergency call has been received from this box, but the call was disconnected without the caller speaking. There are another three calls from the same signal box - but a voice speaks only once, saying, 'ambulance please'.

BTP then phone the box - that call is answered, but no-one speaks. On enquiry Network Rail confirm that the number is correct but that the signal box in question has not been used for several years. BTP make a further call to the box, the call is answered - a train is heard in the background and the person on the other end identifies themselves as a signaller - but their voice is described as 'strange', and the call is disconnected before the reason for the emergency call can be ascertained.

The peelers eventually visit the site in question - but turns out that the signal box no longer exists, having been ‘demolished’.

Notes: A quick online search suggests that the signal box was not demolished, as such, but closed in 2004, dismantled and moved elsewhere. The events related above allegedly took place in April 2011.

I don’t think having a phone number still registered to an obsolete site is as anomalous as it might initially appear – not within the context of a large and complex industrial network.

I think this might be the site of the signal box – just south of the Den lane bridge near Wrinehill - the associated redbrick utility structure still in place:

View attachment 17396
That's brilliant because Dickens' "The Signal-Man" is one of my fave stories.

The Mexborough Ragger
A little girl ghost in the abandoned Cadeby Tunnel. I was in Cadeby a couple of months ago - didn't go in the tunnel, but I did walk over Conisborough Viaduct. Apparently the locals leave toys for the Ragger.
https://paranormalhauntings.blog/2019/02/12/the-tale-of-mexborough-ragger-haunted-yorkshire/

Its said the Mexborough Ragger was a young girl who was often seen calling out for old rags especially on market days, the story goes that she never shown any malice and that when it wasn’t market days she would often carry water to the nearby quarries to sell rags to the workers.
...It is said that she must have took a short cut through the railway tunnel which is named The Cadeby Tunnel. The sounds from the quarry may have been so loud that she just wouldn’t have heard a approaching train on the tracks. It is said that the young girl scrambled as the train entered the tunnel, she just made it into the archway..., but she dropped her rags and she reached out to retrieve them but as she did the train sadly hit her.

Work weirdness

I work for Network Rail in Scotland, as a relief signalman. I have had a couple of odd experiences in one of the 6 signalboxes I work. The signalbox in question dates from 1874 and although it has been modernised with a small extension containing a toilet and new kitchen, still retains the Victorian lever frame to work the signals and points. I work 12 hour shifts, both days and nights - from 11:30 to 23:30 and vice versa. The box is in a fenced compound beside the railway (obviously) with locked gates across the sole access road.

The first strange event happened at the end of a dayshift in January this year, around 23:15. I was sitting alone in the box, as usual, with no trains around. I heard footsteps climbing the stairs and a knock on the door. I thought it was my relief coming in a bit early (though normally he would come straight in without knocking) and went to open the door. There was no one there. It was then I realised that the steps I had heard had been on the wooden stairs that were removed when the box was modernised in 2006. The new staircase is metal and makes a distinctive clanging noise. I said nothing to my relief when he came in 10 minutes later...

The second encounter occured on another day shift a few weeks later, at around 22:30. The next signalbox along the line had just closed for the night, I had carried out the appropriate procedures for this and then went to use the toilet. I had just *ahem* sat down when I heard the sound of a train approaching and felt the distinctive rumble of a train passing the signalbox at speed. I hurried out of the toilet to see what was up, thinking that my mate in the next box had made a mistake (you are not allowed to close a signalbox unless the line is clear of trains). There was nothing there, no train, no lights and no little line of red LEDs on the box diagram to indicate the presence of a train. I was understandably not very amused by this, and was worried that I had done something wrong. Eventually I settled back down and all was normal until my relief came in at 23:30. It was the same chap who had taken over from me after the last incident and I decided this time to tell my story to him. Instead of laughing as I had expected, he became thoughtful and told me that he had once looked up from his book in the early hours of the morning to see his mobile phone floating in mid air. As he watched with growing horror, the phone slowly moved from side to side then lowered onto the desk where it had been sitting previously. He reckons to have pinched himself to make sure it wasn't a dream with such force that he drew blood.

As the weeks went on, I told the other regular signalmen at the box about what had happened to me and asked if they had ever had anything strange happen to them. One of them claimed to have heard the phantom train on a few occasions in the late evening over the last 10 years and another had heard someone climbing wooden stairs. I was prompted to write this post after a conversation earlier this week with mobile phone man. He told me that on Thursday evening last week he had heard a loud and insistant knock at the door, which he had opened to find no one there.

Nothing spectacularly Fortean here, but I know all the signalmen involved and can vouch that all are honest and straightforward types, who pride themselves on doing a responsible job well.

Great post

the signal box was not demolished, as such, but closed in 2004, dismantled and moved elsewhere.

Wonder if it was moved to the Heritage Centre?

, member: 283"

View attachment 17396

For a second I thought that was... Casey Lane. :bhave:

Last edited by a moderator:
That certainly is a beautiful station, and if you don't mind me saying so, an extremely British-looking one. Apart from the slightly orangey colour of the station buildings, this could be any well-preserved rural station in this country. I'm thinking somewhere ex-GWR, maybe...

After reading through this thread again, I went in search of an image of the memorial plaque to those who perished that evening. Here it is:

exetermemorial.jpg

Picture from this site: http://monumentaustralia.org.au/the...nsport/display/101632-exeter-railway-disaster

Stumbled across this yesterday by accident. I've read this thread and all the links a few times so i'm pretty sure it doesn't appear on here, but my apologies if its well known or elsewhere.

This is an old clip of a documentry about a closed railway line in March made in the early 90's. The quality is not brilliant, but its interesting because the subject is not ghosts at all and yet they claim they picked up the ghost of a signalman by accident. For some reason its refusing to cue-up at anywhere but the start, but its at 15:00 and he/it appears below the letter G of the gatehouse sign. This is what the guy who posted the video says about it.

"P.S. Look out for the ghost at Holbeach Drove level crossing. You need to look at the bottom of the screen under the gatehouse sign. You can make your own mind up on that and may not believe in these things, but I witnessed first hand the alarm, upset and ill feeling it caused for some level headed old railwayman who first viewed the footage in 1992. They all recognised the ghost who used to be a crossing keeper and got killed by a train there in the late 1950s! No one saw anything on the day of filming, it was only afterwards that it was noticed. The BBC were interested in the footage at the time too. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that movement from right to left beneath the sign? Hard to see what it could be with the low res of the video.

Thanks for posting it though!

I'm also struggling to see anything other than the swaying foliage in the background, and I'm normally quite quick to misidentify inanimate objects as animate.

At what time on that video are we meant to be looking at?

Do you mean that movement from right to left beneath the sign? Hard to see what it could be with the low res of the video.

Thanks for posting it though!

I didn't see it to start with but once you do... It seems to be a guy with a bald head who appears and disappears in about a third of a second of video time. I don't think its an optical illusion as i have a problem seeing anything like that.. If it helps he appears clearly as the narrator finishes saying the word crossing.. He's directly below the drawings of trees on the sign, right at the bottom of the screen - you can't see his mouth or chin. He's side-on to start off with, faces the camera and then ducks out of sight to the left

Last edited:
Could you give us a steer as to whether the face is, for example, in profile or face-on? Looking to the left of shot or to the right? All I've been able to see so far is the vaguest suggestion of a face looking up, as though belonging to someone lying on their back. But it doesn't look like a recognisable individual to me.

Could you give us a steer as to whether the face is, for example, in profile or face-on? Looking to the left of shot or to the right? All I've been able to see so far is the vaguest suggestion of a face looking up, as though belonging to someone lying on their back. But it doesn't look like a recognisable individual to me.

see my edit above. It helps if you don't concentrate really hard and not look right up close at the screen. first time i did i saw nothing.. maybe its just me but i can clearly see his ear side-on to start with, then his eyes, ears, nose and whats left of his hair round his ears etc when he looks directly at the camera EDIT - i've managed to freeze it at 15.04 and the line of the video goes directly through the top of his head (the numbers of the length of the video (51:26) are just above his eyes and nose

Last edited:
see my edit above. It helps if you don't concentrate really hard and not look right up close at the screen. first time i did i saw nothing.. maybe its just me but i can clearly see his ear side-on to start with, then his eyes, ears, nose and whats left of his hair round his ears etc when he looks directly at the camera
Ah, right, thank you. I think I can see "him" now, and it certainly does look like an individual with, as you say, quite a receding hairline. My trouble is that Youtube insists on showing the timing and a line at the bottom of the screen, so I can't get a clearer view on the machine I am using. I'm not saying I think it is a ghost, now, but nor am I saying it's not - I certainly got quite a shiver down my spine when I first spotted "him".

Ah, right, thank you. I think I can see "him" now, and it certainly does look like an individual with, as you say, quite a receding hairline. My trouble is that Youtube insists on showing the timing and a line at the bottom of the screen, so I can't get a clearer view on the machine I am using. I'm not saying I think it is a ghost, now, but nor am I saying it's not - I certainly got quite a shiver down my spine when I first spotted "him".

phew! its not me seeing things then :0) I tend to agree. probably some guy in his garden wondering why someone is filming his sign. Doesn't explain how the railwaymen recognised him as the dead signalman though.

I think it's foliage but not at all 100% sure, if you click on settings you can slow it down to quarter speed

I'm having real trouble with seeing anything or anyone after referring to the above.

Is anyone able to freeze frame or highlight a segment?

Thanks

Ok, this is the best I can manage with the tools available to me just now. Like I say, it is frustrating that I can't get the time indicator bar out of the way. I do find it quite disconcerting the way he seems to reverse into shot, and then slide out again. When I say "slide out of shot", he doesn't actually move off the edge of the screen, it's as though there's a line within the frame that he emerges from and then disappears behind again. Very odd, and it doesn't seem to tie in with the movement of the foliage behind him.

Railwayman.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having real trouble with seeing anything or anyone after referring to the above.

Is anyone able to freeze frame or highlight a segment?

Thanks

As i said its about 15:04 on the video. its right in the youtube gubbins at the bottom, so if you have device where that doesn't disappear (the stop/start sign, speaker, timer etc) you're gonna have problems

Back