• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vegetarianism: Roots In Europe?

Anyone trying to get a rise out of me over what I eat comes off worse. I don't need to explain myself.
Can't remember the last time anyone even tried, to be honest.

Anyone trying to get a rise out of me over what I eat comes off worse. I don't need to explain myself.
Can't remember the last time anyone even tried, to be honest.
Don't snails only eat lettuce though?

Death threats to vegans! it's ok, he was only joking!

William Sitwell, editor of Waitrose Food Magazine, has caused controversy with a joke about “killing vegans” in response to a vegan freelance journalist pitching work to the magazine.

Journalist Selene Nelson said the response came after she suggested “a series on vegan cooking”, with plant-based recipes, to Sitwell for the publication.

In an email published by BuzzFeed, Sitwell wrote: “Thanks for this. How about a series on killing vegans, one by one? Ways to trap them?

“How to interrogate them properly? Expose their hypocrisy? Force-feed them meat? Make them eat steak and drink red wine?”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/examv...sy-with-joke-about-killing-vegans-882076.html

As a follow-up to this story, today's Metro has been digging the dirt to demonise Selene Nelson. She once tweeted "Live by the sword. Die by the sword" regarding the rare death of a matador in a Spanish bullring and "good" at the deaths of 7 Spaniards either trampled or gored at some other bull-related "festival".

I would never go to a bull-fight, but I must admit that I would very much be rooting for the bull.

Last edited:
As a follow-up to this story, today's Metro has been digging the dirt to demonise Selene Nelson. She once tweeted "Live by the sword. Die by the sword" regarding the rare death of a matador in a Spanish bullring and "good" at the deaths of 7 Spaniards either trampled or gored at some other bull-related "festival".

Demonising? I must be the Devil himself then because my stock response to deaths or injuries to bullfighters is to type GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOODGOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD GOOD until my hand aches.

I have perhaps a slightly different perspective to what's been discussed already :)

I don't eat meat - never have done, since I was born. My parents had stopped eating meat before I was born (couldn't afford it) so I was never given any meat (they never started eating it again either). And as I've grown up and been able to make my own food choices, I simply have no desire to eat meat; I'm not coming from any standpoint, I have no desire to care whether others eat meat or not, but me personally, the thought of eating dead flesh just doesn't appeal, that's all.

In fact, I tend to refer to myself - if the need arises - as "I don't eat meat" rather than calling myself vegetarian - reason being that I've learned over the years that saying I'm vegetarian seems to make people immediately conclude that I'm some meat-eater-hating zealot who goes out campaigning against abbatoirs. I despise animal cruelty, but as I said above, I really couldn't give a jot whether other people eat meat or not. It's never been a political thing for me.

When faced with the inevitable "Do you eat chicken/fish" questions my usual response is "I don't eat anything with a face".*

Mr Zebra grew up in a meat-eating household but never really enjoyed red meat, and once we got married he stopped eating it altogether (not, I must point out, because of any insisting from my part, he just quite easily found he could stop eating it without missing it). A few years ago, hilarity ensued when he considered trying fish fingers again - they duly sat at the back of the freezer for many months before we concluded that he really didn't want to try them after all.

I've often found it difficult eating in the presence of meat-eaters - because it wasn't something I was accustomed to in my home-life - we'd all be eating vegetables and pasta, that's pretty much it. So having a meal (for example, with Mr Zebra's family, or with work colleagues at Xmas) is quite difficult for me because I'm just not used to seeing meat that close-up. Turns my stomach slightly, and is one of the times I don't mind my anosmia (lack of sense of smell).

For the most part, I don't like 'vegetarian options' because they invariably contain lots of different ingredients and strong tastes that I don't like. I like plain, simple foods. I grew up on a diet of potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, sprouts (I love brussels sprouts), peas, pasta, soups, etc. Plain foods. The most exotic we ever went to was some HP sauce on the top of the veg. Even now, I hate strong spices (unlike Mr Zebra who loves stir fries, vegetarian chinese things like spring rolls, garlic (again another time when I'm thankful for the anosmia) and the like).

So when faced with vegetarian options that usually consist of (the dreaded) aubergines, courgettes, and other strange things that I can't even recognise, I hate it. Give me mashed potatoes and cheese over anything fancy, any day. I do not like meals in which I can't immediately tell what the ingredients are. I'd never want to eat 'meat substitiute' things - I don't want to eat meat, so why would I want to eat something that tasted of it?

At the moment because of my bowel surgery I'm restricted to plain, soft foods and I really don't mind. I'm only eating mashed potatoes (or baked potatoes) with cheese; soups; a bit of bread or soft rolls; yoghurt; grapes and bananas. And it really doesn't bother me. Mr Zebra was just discussing earlier, how hard he would be finding it on this diet but I'm fine with it (luckily I guess!). The hardest thing has been the soup we tried the other day - 'Spring Vegetable' which we only realised upon serving that it contained - urgh - sweetcorn. I spent ages picking out each piece of sweetcorn so I could eat the rest. Mr Zebra ate the excess sweetcorn.

So there you have it :)

*Except for those 'smiley face' frozen potato thingies.

. The hardest thing has been the soup we tried the other day - 'Spring Vegetable' which we only realised upon serving that it contained - urgh - sweetcorn. I spent ages picking out each piece of sweetcorn so I could eat the rest. Mr Zebra ate the excess sweetcorn.

Sweetcorn, mmmm, one of my favourites.

Last month when we had to have drain blown up and it went a bit wrong and one of the workmen ended up covered in sweetcorn, well, even THAT didn't put me off it.

So starfish and earthworms are OK then?

Umm... no.... *trying not to feel sick*

Might be better to say you don't eat anything with an anus.

Chickens and ducks don’t have anuses, and they’re yummy! And yes, they taste like chicken. (Except the ducks).

maximus otter

Sweetcorn, mmmm, one of my favourites.

Last month when we had to have drain blown up and it went a bit wrong and one of the workmen ended up covered in sweetcorn, well, even THAT didn't put me off it.

On reflection I shouldn't have really said anything. At all.

Normally lions eat wildebeest.
hqdefault.jpg

Vegans attacked.

Butchers and shoppers turned on vegan activists in a busy shopping centre when tempers flared during a sit-in protest.

Police were called after a blind vegan campaigner was knocked to the ground during the confrontation at Moor Market in Sheffield. The animals rights campaigners had tried to stage a demonstration outside the meat stalls, sitting on the floor in a line. The group, Direct Action Yorkshire, is an offshoot of an international campaign to promote veganism.

The protesters surrounded themselves with police-style tape and caught the confrontation on film. Shoppers who insisted that they were defending local businesses soon challenged the vegans.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/shoppers-attack-vegans-at-sheffield-meat-market-z3dpzpd3x

It's no good chopping up Vegans, for Heaven's sake! When did they last render a good umami stock? :yuck:

If you wish to be truly Green you should go cannibal, I have been doing this for some years, you should see the disgusting prejudice I face because of my beliefs.

Anyone in the shooting fraternity will know that the General Licence has been withdrawn which makes it illegal to shoot amongst other things, pigeons. A friend was asked to shoot pigeons over 4 fields of peas that a farmer was cultivating. Said friend had to decline because the change in law meant he could be prosecuted. Hence 4 fields of peas destroyed at great cost to the farmer. At the same time a local current affairs programme was sounding out people on their attitudes to the withdrawal, a Lady responded by saying that it would not affect her as she was a vegetarian and didn’t eat meat. I am astounded how ingnorant some people really are.

Back