• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Avengers: Endgame (Warning: Spoilers)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This thread is being established for discussion of Avengers: Endgame.

WARNING: Spoilers may, and probably will, be posted here.

Ok my first question. When Thanos got the Tesseract he crushed it for the stone. How did the gang use it and keep it intact to take it back?

I loved the Captain checking out his own arse :rollingw:

I’m sad Loki hasn’t been resurrected. But where has him from the past gone? I think that’s going to lead to the new Disney series. Still not enough Loki b

At last I’ve got a superhero body, Thor from Endgame lol.

I loved the girls working together.

And did anyone not cry?

Absolute Piece of trivia: The paperback that the security guard at the storage depot where Scott Lang's van is stored is reading is "Terminal Beach" by JG Ballard, one of the stories in this collection is "End-Game"

Last edited:
Also shouldn’t they have got a refund on the soul stone?
I think it's more like a car rental, you pay a soul for the use of the Soul stone and are expected to return it after use.
Captain America probably used the Reality stone to return the Space stone to its Tesseract form, before replacing it.

Please scroll past if you don’t want to see Captain Marvel SPOILERS as I’ve got something I’d have liked to see in Endgame.

Tony and Capt A didn’t find the Tesseract in the 70s so ended off stopping off in the 90s too.

The team beam back. Steve is holding a ginger cat.

‘I thought you went for the Tesseract, that’s a cat’, Scott pointed out.
‘Actually it’s not,’ said Tony.
‘Certainly looks like a cat.’
Blerg Goose goes all tentacly and spews out the Tesseract.
‘One Tesseract,’ Tony said triumphantly as Scott looked on felling slightly sick.
:cat:

It's rather bloody good. Saw it yesterday/
I’m sad Loki hasn’t been resurrected. But where has him from the past gone?
I wondered that for a mo, ditto The Vision and the Asgardians, but of course it was only those destroyed by Thanos using the stones that were resurrected, and they'd all snuffed it prior to that. They got round Gamora with timey-wimey stuff, but they had said they shouldn't use timey-wimey stuff.

I haven't seen it yet, but a friend who has says it's right up there with the ending of marley and me, I was supposed to watch endgame next Friday, I may stay in and wash my hair instead.

I haven't seen it yet, but a friend who has says it's right up there with the ending of marley and me, I was supposed to watch endgame next Friday, I may stay in and wash my hair instead.
Spoiler for "Marley & Me" - the sequel's just called "Me". (I think that may have been Rich Hall, but I can't swear to it.)

I suspect I am the only person in the galaxy who wasn't to fussed by end game, far to long, there must have been at least an hour of goodbyes at the end, and the climatic battle was a cgi snoorefest, there was some good touches, loved cappie in the lift with hydra, but in the end it was disappointing.

We finally went to see Endgame today! Not bad at all if somewhat convoluted with the parallel timelines and stuff. Was cool to see Deadpool make a cameo in the final battle though!

Been having a think about the realistic effects of the Snap and un-Snap.

The universe is huge (estimated 10^22 to 10^24 stars across a trillion galaxies). If even a tiny fraction of these stars have life-bearing planets, and a fraction of them with civilised life, that's still a huge number.
So every lifeform has a 50/50 chance of snuffing it. There's a probability that some planets will become almost if not completely devoid of life, or be left with an imbalance of predator/prey, or only destructive, invasive species/microbes left to take over and destroy a biosphere.

On Earth, crops will be devastated - some fields wiped out, some halved in size. Distribution networks will collapse with the halved workforce. Massive worldwide famine occurs. Over time, the system recovers as governments manage to re-allocate the workforce to efficiently grow and collect crops, staff refineries/power stations, transport produce to the remaining population. After the five years, Earth will have a working if greatly diminished agriculture system and fuel production systems working at half the original capacity. Residential areas will fall apart - what looters and vandals don't destroy, nature will. Wildfires/building fires will be harder to tackle with half the firefighters. Fields will lie fallow and overgrown. Forests may regrow over areas.

Then the Un-Snap happens. (Hopefully the Stones are smart enough to put humans somewhere safe, instead of, say, where their aircraft or ship was when they got snapped)
Suddenly the Universe, which has had 5 years to reach equilibrium, has twice as many lifeforms to deal with in biospheres that won't be able to cope. On Earth, there'll suddenly be twice as many humans in a system that won't stand a chance. Even if farming/distribution vehicles can be dusted off there won't be enough fuel readily available. Unsnapped crops will be mixed in with weeds from the untended fields. Recovered forests will suddenly be overcrowded. There will be global famine, but this time far worse. There will be shortages of everything. The reduced water/sanitation/medicine systems will lead to epidemics/pandemics. There's no guarantee that, after five years, governments will still be clinging to the hope of their return and have enough goods stockpiled to cope.

Then expand this effect over possibly billions of other civilised planets.

The universe is huge (estimated 10^22 to 10^24 stars across a trillion galaxies). If even a tiny fraction of these stars have life-bearing planets, and a fraction of them with civilised life, that's still a huge number.
So every lifeform has a 50/50 chance of snuffing it. There's a probability that some planets will become almost if not completely devoid of life, or be left with an imbalance of predator/prey, or only destructive, invasive species/microbes left to take over and destroy a biosphere.

On Earth, crops will be devastated - some fields wiped out, some halved in size. Distribution networks will collapse with the halved workforce. Massive worldwide famine occurs. Over time, the system recovers as governments manage to re-allocate the workforce to efficiently grow and collect crops, staff refineries/power stations, transport produce to the remaining population. After the five years, Earth will have a working if greatly diminished agriculture system and fuel production systems working at half the original capacity. Residential areas will fall apart - what looters and vandals don't destroy, nature will. Wildfires/building fires will be harder to tackle with half the firefighters. Fields will lie fallow and overgrown. Forests may regrow over areas.

Then the Un-Snap happens. (Hopefully the Stones are smart enough to put humans somewhere safe, instead of, say, where their aircraft or ship was when they got snapped)
Suddenly the Universe, which has had 5 years to reach equilibrium, has twice as many lifeforms to deal with in biospheres that won't be able to cope. On Earth, there'll suddenly be twice as many humans in a system that won't stand a chance. Even if farming/distribution vehicles can be dusted off there won't be enough fuel readily available. Unsnapped crops will be mixed in with weeds from the untended fields. Recovered forests will suddenly be overcrowded. There will be global famine, but this time far worse. There will be shortages of everything. The reduced water/sanitation/medicine systems will lead to epidemics/pandemics. There's no guarantee that, after five years, governments will still be clinging to the hope of their return and have enough goods stockpiled to cope.

I am certain that 426 of the upcoming Marvel properties will deal with this in detail.

It's probably not a good idea to think think too hard about the science of the Marvel Universe...madness lies that way.

It's probably not a good idea to think think too hard about the science of the Marvel Universe...madness lies that way.
..or indeed any such franchise. Any narrative predicated on the already fantastic - be it Marvel, Trek, Dr Who, whatever - is automatically loaded with a high suspension of disbelief. Trying to apply existing concrete rules to the by-definition abstract doesn't work: provided the narrative is consistent within it's own context, then real-universe science is irrelevant.

Back