• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

Yet another 9gag post:

Faceplant in concrete: https://9gag.com/gag/aj8drDg <<< painful to watch

Faceplant in carpet: https://9gag.com/gag/aoedEGm
I watched an older posh looking woman do this a couple of years ago, it was weird because she fell off the kerb and landed full on on her forehead without instinctively (you'd think) putting her hands out to break her fall. Her partner was oblivious to what had just happened because he was walking a little further ahead of her. I stopped the traffic and crossed over to help calling for an ambulance, I had to ask her to sit down a few times until she did and I sat with her. Passers by decent and all gave us some tissues and then I had to keep asking her to compress them on her head which was squirting little 'darts' of blood. Her partner clearly wasn't an emergency type of bloke so I had to ask him for his coat to keep her warm until the paramedics arrived, gave them a brief incident report and then walked home. I'd be very surprised if she hasn't received serious complications off that one.

I watched an older posh looking woman do this a couple of years ago, it was weird because she fell off the kerb and landed full on on her forehead without instinctively (you'd think) putting her hands out to break her fall. Her partner was oblivious to what had just happened because he was walking a little further ahead of her. I stopped the traffic and crossed over to help calling for an ambulance, I had to ask her to sit down a few times until she did and I sat with her. Passers by decent and all gave us some tissues and then I had to keep asking her to compress them on her head which was squirting little 'darts' of blood. Her partner clearly wasn't an emergency type of bloke so I had to ask him for his coat to keep her warm until the paramedics arrived, gave them a brief incident report and then walked home. I'd be very surprised if she hasn't received serious complications off that one.
Skull fracture, I'd bet.

Skull fracture, I'd bet.
It was grim to watch mate, she fell like she was as stiff as a board and the road her head hit was (obviously) even lower level than the pavement she'd fell from. I was expecting them to be a bit drunk what with how she didn't put her hands out and how they were smartly restaurant/bar dressed but they seemed sober, alcohol of course would thin her blood which was something I was concerned about with it coming out of her head, I didn't have anything thing available to raise her feet onto when she was finally sitting down but fortunately the ambulance got to her quickly.

It was grim to watch mate, she fell like she was as stiff as a board and the road her head hit was (obviously) even lower level than the pavement she'd fell from. I was expecting them to be a bit drunk what with how she didn't put her hands out and how they were smartly restaurant/bar dressed but they seemed sober, alcohol of course would thin her blood which was something I was concerned about with it coming out of her head, I didn't have anything thing available to raise her feet onto when she was finally sitting down but fortunately the ambulance got to her quickly.
I may be asking a stupid question, but why would you raise her feet? Shouldn't the bleeding part (the head) be the most elevated part of the body?

I may be asking a stupid question, but why would you raise her feet? Shouldn't the bleeding part (the head) be the most elevated part of the body?
Anyone losing blood from their head at an alarming rate as she was is in danger of passing out so raising the legs artificially helps to redress the balance blood flow around the body if they are sitting down on floor level. Of course either a light dressing or, in emergencies, holding tissue to the bleeding area to further attempt to lower the loss of blood from the head will suffice on a first aid level until the professionals arrive. Hopefully.

So, in short, if someone's losing blood from their head, you need to do something that encourages blood from other parts of the body to get to the head.

Last edited:
So, in short, if someone's losing blood from their head, you need to do something that encourages blood from other parts of the body to get to the head.
Yeah. That helps it all drain out.

That doesnt apply when its the head, you just need to lie them down and elevate the shoulders and head slightly, if its the heart i think you elevate the legs to keep blood going to it, i may be wrong tho, been a few months since first aid

An uninterrupted freefall onto pavement can have surprisingly horrific consequences for a human head. The impact forces are far harsher than even the most violent punches.

An uninterrupted freefall onto pavement can have surprisingly horrific consequences for a human head. The impact forces are far harsher than even the most violent punches.
Yup :(

Which is why those nice fluffy non-lethal Tazers used by Mr Plod should be outlawed, at least in the hands of the average Bobby. Fully Firearms Trained officers only should use them, IMHO, as a last resort. If someone needs bringing down routinely, as it were, a couple of 6' burly officers should be enough - it always used to be, before they started letting short-arses into the Force (Police, not that as used by Jedi).
Erm, I mean, "Service".

With the nutters you hear about on the news just lately, stabbings and luring cops in to get killed, i'd want a bloody big tazer to hand.*

*I would not be a nutter

With the nutters you hear about on the news just lately, stabbings and luring cops in to get killed, i'd want a bloody big tazer to hand.*

*I would not be a nutter

Sure, use them for sieges, tense stand-offs, and the like, where there is a real danger of someone harming a hostage or policeman - basically, the same instances you would deploy a Firearms Unit.
However, I'm talking about about the instances of angry people getting lippy out and about, getting very animated, being drunkenly argumentative, suddenly being dropped by a policeman with a tazer (who is probably one of several who are all shouting at the "victim" - as per standard police procedure to disorientate and subdue disobedient suspects). Great for bringing a shouting match to an end, but possibly not so great for the person who hits the floor. Like I said, once upon a time, a big policeman would wade in, grip the idiot and they'd wind up in the cells with a hangover headache. Now, there's more chance of getting a brain bleed from hitting the pavement unprotected, just for not complying immediately. Who wants to live in a society where you have to obey Plod immediately, without question, however unreasonable their order may be, or face serious injury?

Like I said, once upon a time, a big policeman would wade in, grip the idiot and they'd wind up in the cells with a hangover headache.

Tasers are fired in a microscopic proportion of arrests. I researched it in this thread, and my maths suggested a figure of 0.23%

lt would be excellent if a big policeman were always available to go hands-on with a violent suspect. That’s not the case. lmagine the squeals from the right-on meedja if women were denied the opportunity of being beaten, stabbed or shot!

Why should a police officer have to risk going hand-to-hand with a violent suspect? They deserve to go home uninjured at the end of a shift; not end up hospitalised or worse, because some drunk/drugged/testosterone-intoxicated slag decided he wanted to show his pals what a legend he is.

Finally, you seem to proceed from the assumption that no deaths or lasting injury to either party ever occurred during an empty hand/baton confrontation. You are wrong.

maximus otter

lt would be excellent if a big policeman were always available to go hands-on with a violent suspect. That’s not the case. lmagine the squeals from the right-on meedja if women were denied the opportunity of being beaten, stabb
ed or shot!

Well, I didn't want to say it, and I'm sure there are excellent WPCs who are good at certain things, but physically enforcing public order is not one of them, IMHO. Call the Thought Police, I've probably committed a Hate Crime against the Sisterhood. Sorry sweethearts, we luvs ya really!

Why should a police officer have to risk going hand-to-hand with a violent suspect? They deserve to go home uninjured at the end of a shift; not end up hospitalised or worse, because some drunk/drugged/testosterone-intoxicated slag decided he wanted to show his pals what a legend he is.

Mainly, because they are paid to take those risks, it's all part of the job. If they want to sit in a nice warm office in safety, there are other career paths to follow.
Now, that's not to say that they don't deserve to go home uninjured, because they obviously do. The law should be respected, and they are there to uphold the law.
I have, however, witnessed on more than one occasion, a taser being whipped out and someone hitting the ground with a hell of a thump, for what appeared to be no more than drunken belligerence. Now, I could be wrong, there could have been a clear and imminent threat to someone's safety, but to me it seemed like impatience with "local legends" being their usual twatty selves. Perhaps they could have just been shot? Policeman goes home safe, everybody happy?

I still believe that a Taser is worthy of far more respect than it is currently afforded, and that people, police included, don't appreciate how easy it is to be seriously injured when one is used. I'm not going to suggest that statistics for people injured by tasers can be manipulated, but I'm sure not many are injured by the device itself. It's hitting the pavement without being able to protect yourself that does the damage, ie. " a fall" whilst being arrested.

Finally, you seem to proceed from the assumption that no deaths or lasting injury to either party ever occurred during an empty hand/baton confrontation. You are wrong.

Ah no, I didn't assume that at all. We all know that people die in encounters with the police, and twatting someone with a big stick is obviously dangerous. (As is "restraining" someone by standing on their throat until they stop resisting). I am assuming you were a UK policeman, so I'm sure that you only drew your truncheon when shit got serious, and you and your colleagues probably did it all together, once a point of public (dis)order had been reached. I'm sure the mood changed right then, and everyone around was aware that playtime was over, heads would be bopped, and very few people who weren't actively looking for trouble got in the way (save for the odd newspaper seller). Those who did get a bop knew it, expected it, and could always defiantly curl up in a ball, squeal and then brag later to their mates how they fought the evil pigs.

I would humbly submit that there is more chance of serious injury from falling onto the pavement having been incapacitated by a taser than from playing the fool at a riot, erm, public protest. I think the term "non-lethal" has been taken to mean "not dangerous" by many people, when the dangers are plain to see. Some people DO need bringing under control, and not necessarily in a nice non-violent way that mollycoddles them. The scope for serious damage after a taser deployment seems to be unjustifiably broad.

Finally, I didn't realise there was that thread you linked to until I was way into this reply, so apologise to all for the thread de-rail.

a) Correct.

b) Drew it ( from memory) once in thirty years; never used it. (CS? Used once).

c) “Less lethal” is the more accurate and commonly-used phrase.

maximus otter

I'm assuming your mere presence made the malefactors flee in terror.

Well, I didn't want to say it, and I'm sure there are excellent WPCs who are good at certain things, but physically enforcing public order is not one of them, IMHO. Call the Thought Police, I've probably committed a Hate Crime against the Sisterhood. Sorry sweethearts, we luvs ya really!

'WPC' hasn't been used since 1998 Grandad.

I'm sure there are excellent WPCs who are good at certain things, but physically enforcing public order is not one of them, IMHO. Call the Thought Police, I've probably committed a Hate Crime against the Sisterhood. Sorry sweethearts, we luvs ya really!

And one way is to stop it getting that far. De-escalating the brain dead violent works especially well with female officers, double points of the said brain dead violent has views that "you don't hit women cos..." etc etc etc

As for women and violence - I'm one of the violent persons around here in a deprived area of Glasgow. I've calmed down over recent years but I'm often still right on the edge of my tolerance for shit talkers and the lecherous. Spending formative years in a gang means you learn stuff and have fewer inhibitions. @LordRsmacker why persist in broad brush generalisations?

:sneaky2:

maximus otter

seriously, I have no doubt that they did! (can I ask, did you wear the bike lycra back in the day? :p asking for a friend)

lmagine the squeals from the right-on meedja if women were denied the opportunity of being beaten, stabbed or shot!

The media is the media. Somewhere on here very recently there is a message about why many feminists wouldn't be complaining about women being in the front line though. Complaining about /anybody/ having to face it? absolutely. Wanting back up and support and equipment and training for whoever was in the front line? absolutely. But complaining about women being there? no.

And one way is to stop it getting that far. De-escalating the brain dead violent works especially well with female officers, double points of the said brain dead violent has views that "you don't hit women cos..." etc etc etc

So deploy a Police Officer-ess (or whatever they are called these days, Carlos!) and talk the idiot down and we can all have a nice cup of tea together. Except, there are plenty of times that people can't be talked down, because they can't hear or they just aren't listening. Then the taser comes out. THAT is the point the burly policeman, (or burly policewoman, I'm sure there are some about) should be going in and gripping people, not dropping them like a floppy rag doll. Purely IMHO, of course.

As for women and violence - I'm one of the violent persons around here in a deprived area of Glasgow. I've calmed down over recent years but I'm often still right on the edge of my tolerance for shit talkers and the lecherous. Spending formative years in a gang means you learn stuff and have fewer inhibitions. @LordRsmacker why persist in broad brush generalisations?

Well, I'd take issue with that last sentence, mainly because I wasn't talking about women in general, I was talking about my observations of the average female police officer when public disorder is boiling over.
I'm well aware that some women can be nasty, violent and dangerous, as well as sweet, soft and demure - and sometimes that's the same woman!
If anything, I'm more wary of lairy women in a drunken row, because they seem to be more likely to turn round and glass someone or chisel their skull in with a stiletto heel, just at the point where things have simmered down, the two sides have parted, and the danger has apparently passed. (Speaking from my time running a rough town centre pub, in one of the Midlands' shithole towns)

c) “Less lethal” is the more accurate and commonly-used phrase.
maximus otter

It is now, but when these things were introduced, they were billed as "non-lethal". I doubt many people have noticed the change in designation.
IIRC, the other thing being considered by the police was the shooting of people with bean-bags. I mistakenly thought that the police were considering shooting people in the bean-bag, which is just WRONG. Doesn't bear thinking about..

There are some great examples in the comments.
https://9gag.com/gag/ad5Yoed

The best one is:
used to have work shoes with steel capped toes. I used those work shoes to stop the loaded pallet jack instantly. The one summer I was brilliant enough to wear sandals...

Also nice:
once i was in an industry and used one of these as a kickboard. the floor was inclined and it started getting faster and faster. at the end i had to jump off and the floor was wet. long story short: i slipped and fell on my knees it hurt like hell but fortunately noone saw me

Back