• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Game Of Thrones [Spoilers]

"something with Bran that the Night King needed to do personally. Perhaps a vulcan mind meld."

That was another thing that felt wrong.
The Night King homed in on Bran and gave him the death stare before pausing and very SLOWLY reaching for his sword.

If he intended to kill him, then why drag it out with the "no, I expect you to die Mr Bond" cliché?
All that did was to give the magically flying Arya a chance to pounce on him.

We still don't know 'where' Bran was for those last ten minutes or so. I reckon he was making sure Arya got to where she needed to be.

I only noticed the White Walker's hair blowing in the breeze, presumably when she bombed past, on the second watch.

Just read that in the scene just before, where Jon squares up to the dragon and yells at it, if you listen closely he's actually shouting "Goooooo! Go! Go!" - distracting Viserion so Arya could get through.

I hadn't clicked that the dragon was guarding the entrance to the wood.

Another lull before the storm episode, but very compelling.
I didn't let Daenyris' misplaced cup of Starbucks coffee ruin my enjoyment!

Poor M...
:violin:
Thoroughly enjoyed the sloppy intrigue in this ep. Can't wait to observe the cross Khalesi next week. Bring it on!

Well that was a bit of a rollercoaster - more stressful than last week's by the end.

It's all going to go absolutely mental isn't it?

Poor old Ghost. Didn't even get a farewell pat.

In other news....

1557224367080.png

I thought that was abysmal, couldn't see what was going on for most of it, piss poor tactics from both sides, prioritisation of surprises over any actual storytelling.

Can't believe I renewed my NowTV subscription for this... this is what happens when you experiment with legal downloading.

Well, we already know Jon Snow is a good leader but poor tactically. The Dothraki probably wouldn't go in a castle, and long spearmen who rely on their formation for mutual protection can't formate in a small courtyard - we know it is small because we have seen it before, for example at the end of the Battle of the Bastards. The Dothraki lost it and charged because Melisandre over-exited them with the flaming sword thingy. In short it was a muddle, but muddle is fairly typical for a medieval style battle - if you want an example check out the French at Agincourt, Poitiers or Crecy.

I think the writers of this season have had real problems with battle scenes. The personal interplay is still good, but the show is tending towards Batman territory now. I don't have as many problems with the long night as some - Arya is a trained assassin, she should be able to move stealthily. But the dragon vs ship battle in ep4 was just plain wrong.

Last edited:
From what I could tell, the whole crossbow setup could be rotated. So attacking from the rear would not help.

From what I could tell, the whole crossbow setup could be rotated. So attacking from the rear would not help.

But they were mounted near the prow of the ships, so the obvious direction to attack would be from the rear.

The astonishing range and accuracy of those crossbows against a swiftly flying target seemed a bit OTT too - Greyjoy's ships weren't even in view when the dragon got skewered.

I'm losing my goodwill towards this season.

That was so stupid. Daenarys can't see the Ships, from her vantage point of high up in the sky, where she should be able to see for miles? Then by surprise, a whole fleet is right there, and close enough for fighting? It's an insult to the intelligence. At least have them hiding behind an island or something.

About missandei dying, there is no emotional stake there for me because missandei is a drag and about as interesting as wet cardboard.

Except - Greyjoy's bowmen would have to turn 180 degrees and shoot through their own masts and sails. Either that or turn the ships which would take several minutes. As has been said, all Daenerys had to do was wheel round the headland and blast them from behind. They'd be sitting ducks.

And why didn't Misaandae - knowing she was for it anyway - grab Cersei when the latter took her arm and jump?

I really think the feature length thing is playing merry hell with the pace. The writers are used to telling X amount of story in Y amount of time. X remaining constant but Y becoming variable alters the rhythm noticeably (see also the Line Of Duty finale. It didn't need 90 minutes by any stretch of the imagination.)

Last edited:
Except - Greyjoy's bowmen would have to turn 180 degrees and shoot through their own masts and sails. Either that or turn, which would take several minutes. As has been said, all Daenerys had to do was wheel round the headline and blast them from behind. They'd be sitting ducks.

And why didn't Misaandae - knowing she was for it anyway - grab Cersei when the latter took her arm and jump?

Why didn’t Ahab just not go after Moby Dick? Because there wouldn’t have been a book.

maximus otter

I think the plot and motivations have gone all over the place in the last few seasons. Why bother spending so long crafting characters if they're just going to behave completely randomly at the end? Scripting has got really bad too.

Man, I simply can't believe the anger out there in uberfandom about the end of the series. What is wrong with these people? They're not fans any more, so split off and find something else to watch. I mean they make all these dumb predictions and act as if the showrunners MUST follow the fans, and when they don't they grizzle and bitch because they weren't as predictable as the fans wanted them to be. Seriously, how can they win? I've unsubscribed from all of the commentary channels on Youtube which I used to enjoy for their analysis. The fans have become petulant, childish and, above all, stupid in the way they imagine their screen world. Switch off and go outside for fuck sake.

BTW< I'm not aiming at the criticisms posted above me on the thread, which are reasonable and mild compared to the spitstorm going on on Youtube and the socialspehere. I'm going after the idiots who are screaming and gnashing their teeth and tearing their hair out for all the world to see like its the damn apocalypse.

I'll enjoy the final two episodes no matter what happens, because I've had such a great time from the series that it doesn't really matter anymore. It'll end the way it ends - imperfectly. It's still good fun. These so-called fans should remember how much joy they've been given over the past ten years and show a little gratitude. Its the same pantytwist shit Metallica fans pulled when the band explored new directions, and when the Star Wars prequels didn't exactly match the quality of the OS. You don't like it anymore. I get it. Shut your yap and watch something else.

Like Billy Connolly said: "Move your fucken thumb! Poof! I'm outta there."

My thoughts exactly. I've never understood the entitled attitude people have to films, music, games etc. "What have you done to my show?"

It's not your show, get over it.

I think the plot and motivations have gone all over the place in the last few seasons. Why bother spending so long crafting characters if they're just going to behave completely randomly at the end? Scripting has got really bad too.

I don't know why Dan and Dave couldn't have spent just a little of their budget on a decent fantasy writer for the post book stuff instead of making it up themselves. It wouldn't have been that hard.

At this stage it's going to be entertaining to see how most of the characters get done in but that's about it.

Still a lot of box-ticking moments, a lot of 'Right, okay…' moments, but there is still a hell of a lot to be resolved in that last episode. Was expecting a lot less to be on the table for the last one.

The inability to kill off anyone outside the expendable second tier characters is what has done this show in. Probably not since the Red Wedding or Joffrey, forget which came first, has there been a major character killed off mid-way through their storyline. Too predictable for a couple of seasons now.

Fabulous BTS minidoc. At least nobody can downplay their commitment to the quality of the production. Insane amounts of work.

Obviously SPOILY, so watch the ep before you watch this.

Back