• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UK Ley-Line Map

Living in Witham, Essex I was very impressed with this Essex Mystery http://vulpeculox.net/misc/mystery.htm

Now, after reading this thread, it seems it is all an illusion
OK, I've gone into this in some detail now. Amazingly, that site actually underestimates the degree of linearity in that alignment. Maybe someone will double check my working.
First, using a small scale map is very misleading -- the precision is poor. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layer gives access to an old large scale map of 25ins to the mile, and information about both geographical coordinates and OS grid data. You can also compare the map with satellite imagery. I also checked Google Earth to get more information about the buildings. To determine the exact centre of a building you place a pointer on it, and this gave the following data:

The Compasses, Littley Green: OS Easting 217234, Northing 569871
Square & Compasses, Fuller Street: Easting 216041, Northing 574741
The Compasses, Great Totham: Easting 213085, Northing 586817
St Johns Church, Little Leighs: Easting 216751, Northing 571901

Thanks to a useful online calculating site, I found that the correlation coefficient for these data is -0.999993

That is the highest correlation coefficient I have ever come across. The alignment is as good as it can get. It's not a "ley" but someone went to a lot of trouble to site these buildings in a precise way.

OK, I've gone into this in some detail now. Amazingly, that site actually underestimates the degree of linearity in that alignment. Maybe someone will double check my working.
First, using a small scale map is very misleading -- the precision is poor. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layer gives access to an old large scale map of 25ins to the mile, and information about both geographical coordinates and OS grid data. You can also compare the map with satellite imagery. I also checked Google Earth to get more information about the buildings. To determine the exact centre of a building you place a pointer on it, and this gave the following data:

The Compasses, Littley Green: OS Easting 217234, Northing 569871
Square & Compasses, Fuller Street: Easting 216041, Northing 574741
The Compasses, Great Totham: Easting 213085, Northing 586817
St Johns Church, Little Leighs: Easting 216751, Northing 571901

Thanks to a useful online calculating site, I found that the correlation coefficient for these data is -0.999993

That is the highest correlation coefficient I have ever come across. The alignment is as good as it can get. It's not a "ley" but someone went to a lot of trouble to site these buildings in a precise way.
You have restored my faith.
And I can assure you I wouldn’t know how to do what you have done.

You have restored my faith.
And I can assure you I wouldn’t know how to do what you have done.
I wondered where, if anywhere, the line was pointing. At first glance it seemed to be heading for Baldock, the town founded by the Knights Templar (named after Baghdad), but it passed by to the south and the only other possible target was Stratford on Avon, where it ran south of the town centre. So I computed a great circle and wondered whether it might go towards the Middle East, which it did, but missed Baghdad by a wide margin. Finally I headed Westwards wondering if it might point to Oak Island (well, you never know!) but it passed the southern edge of Newfoundland instead. So unless it is pointing to some smaller target in Eastern England, I have to admit defeat! But why create a perfect alignment, draw attention to it in such an obvious way, and fail to have it pointing at something?

I wondered where, if anywhere, the line was pointing. At first glance it seemed to be heading for Baldock, the town founded by the Knights Templar (named after Baghdad), but it passed by to the south and the only other possible target was Stratford on Avon, where it ran south of the town centre. So I computed a great circle and wondered whether it might go towards the Middle East, which it did, but missed Baghdad by a wide margin. Finally I headed Westwards wondering if it might point to Oak Island (well, you never know!) but it passed the southern edge of Newfoundland instead. So unless it is pointing to some smaller target in Eastern England, I have to admit defeat! But why create a perfect alignment, draw attention to it in such an obvious way, and fail to have it pointing at something?

You don’t know it’s not pointing at something, you just haven’t found what it’s pointing at! (Cue twilight zone intro)

You don’t know it’s not pointing at something, you just haven’t found what it’s pointing at! (Cue twilight zone intro)
True. Maybe I'll try to follow its course on Google Earth or something... will see.

If it points to our house I can assure you nothing weird is going on in the Anderson Shelter, but please drop in for tea.
Thanks, I'll think about it. Good old Winston will see us through!

Back