• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Former Mental Asylum For Sale

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
A sprawling 50-acre complex that once housed a mental asylum and is considered one of the most haunted places in Michigan is up for sale.

The Eloise Complex at 30600 Michigan Avenue in Westland is listed for $1.5 million — a price that includes an old fire station from the 1800's, a decommissioned power plant and two maintenance buildings, according to an online real estate listing for the property.

Eloise is known in Michigan folklore as much for its spirits as its colorful history. In 2014, a psychological thriller titled "Eloise" was filmed at the site.

The website HauntedUSA.org says of the complex:

"Explorers were rumored to have discovered jars of human body parts, documents outlining strange medical procedures, and creepy snapshots of patients in the abandoned buildings that were torn down in the 1980s. More recently, a spectral woman wearing white has been rumored to be seen in the upper floors and on the roof of the old D building ... Some have reported hearing strange moans, screams, and roars on the old grounds."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...1/09/eloise-complex-mental-hospital/75445276/

Would they be allowed to knock everything down and use the land for something else?

Now I know what the song was about "every night I'm there, I'm always there...".

Ugh! No pun intended, but it drives me demented when I see the term "mental asylum" used. It makes absolutely no sense and, historically, it never followed the name of any hospital to denote its use. 'Lunatic asylum' or 'mental hospital' are fine, but never "Mental Asylum".

Ugh! No pun intended, but it drives me demented when I see the term "mental asylum" used. It makes absolutely no sense and, historically, it never followed the name of any hospital to denote its use. 'Lunatic asylum' or 'mental hospital' are fine, but never "Mental Asylum".
So you are driven 'insane/mad' by the misuse of some words..... really? I hope you were just speaking figuratively then ;).

We've had a couple near us (our town had three around it!) done up as posh housing. Good luck with that, I wouldn't fancy living there.

Well, for those of you on a budget, there's always Castell Gronw, a snip at £600K+.

Fancy living with the ghost of a shapeshifting nymph?

Here's the house boasting the remains of a 12th century castle in the garden – and it's haunted by a shapeshifting nymph with links to Merlin and King Arthur.

The home in Bala, north Wales, has the groundwork of a Norman castle, Castell Gronw, in the back garden and legend has it that it's the home of Blodeuwedd, a shapeshifting nymph who stalks the night as an owl.

The ancient castle, dating back to 1202, is steeped in medieval history and is the setting for a tragic tale in The Mabinogion - thought to be the earliest prose of literature in Britain.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/house-haunted-shapeshifting-nymph-linked-6879565

Whilst nothing remains of the original 800 year old castle structure, the "Motte" or mound is roughly 20-23m in diameter and some 4.5m high, with a level summit about 9.0m across. There is a curving boundary ditch to the south-west which is thought to represent a bailey enclosure roughly 25-35m deep. From the top of the Motte there are fine views over the North end of Bala Lake, also across to the charming town of Bala and of the surrounding countryside.

http://www.penybontfarmhouse.co.uk/Castell Gronw (Gronw Castle).htm

How do you tell the difference between a shapeshifting nymph pretending to be an owl and an actual owl? (Sounds like a joke in search of a punchline).
.... umm .... only the owl would turn round to look you in the eye when you shagged it from behind? ... or something ...

Castell Gronw, in the back garden and legend has it that it's the home of Blodeuwedd, a shapeshifting nymph who stalks the night as an owl.

how did I miss this?

so it /is/ associated with Gronw Pebyr...... odd to describe Blodeuwedd as a shape-shifting nymph though....

Our estate is built around a former Victorian hospital that has been converted into housing. The old chapel is now a nursery, to which two of my three children went, and the superintendent's house contains the local Multiple Sclerosis centre and a one-man doctor's surgery.

Our house looks across the back of the hospital as far as its ballroom, and there have been many nights when I've stood at our front window looking at it and wondering whether the place is haunted. It has even crossed my mind to make enquiries amongst the residents, but I suspect I would get short shrift. It doesn't stop me watching for ghostly lights tracking across the divided top floor as the former nurses make their eternal rounds... :-D

Our estate is built around a former Victorian hospital that has been converted into housing.

I often wonder about Churches that are deconsecrated and either turned into homes or knocked down and built over. I mentioned in another thread that the block of maisonettes I lived in between the ages of 5 and 16 was built on the site of a former church and we experienced weird happenings most days.

As a kid four of us went into an old church on Wells Way in London. The place had been vandalised, the roof had fallen in in several places and some brickwork had collapsed out the back so there was only one way in and out. It had become a hangout for us for a couple of months. We squeezed through a gap where the doors no longer fitted properly and when inside we heard a baby cry...whilst standing in front of the font. We legged it and I’m sure the 4 of us got through the little gap as one. After collapsing to get our breath back the dare game started “I dare you to go back etc”. We all went back in as one and there was no baby crying, as we got braver we edged closer into the body of the church; still no baby. Someone then commented that the hundreds of pigeons that usually roosted in the church were not there...silence...slow look around....LEG IT! The church building has now been converted into flats and I have often wondered if the residents ever hear a spectral child crying.

Some years back my sister and I and our respective families stayed in a Church in Walberswick that had been converted into a large holiday home. We would put the kids to bed at night then the four adults would sit down with a drink and chat or watch the TV, but at times the atmosphere would change and could feel quite sinister. My wife and my sisters husband would never notice it but when it happened I would find me and my sister looking at each other in a knowing sort of way then get up and check on the kids. We never really discussed it after the holiday or in front of our spouses whilst still there.

As a kid four of us went into an old church on Wells Way in London. The place had been vandalised...

As an aside the crypt of this church was broken into and a number of the coffins opened by thieves looking for valuables interred with their deceased owners. One night a body was pulled out of a coffin and was left propped up against the railings outside the church. I remember this being headline news in the South London Press but cannot recall if it made the mainstream press.

Seems South London is not the only place in the U.K. with little respect for the final resting places of its denizens, I just read this at https://hayleyisaghost.co.uk/night-at-the-mausoleum-taking-on-the-mackenzie-poltergeist/ I knew of the supposed poltergeist activity associated with the mausoleum but wasn’t aware of this associated story.

Hayley is one of the three presenters on the spooktator podcast

In 2003, Sonny Devlin was just 17-years-old, and his unnamed friend was 15 when they broke into George MacKenzie’s tomb and used a pen knife to cut the head off of MacKenzie’s corpse. Another teenager who was present provided witness testimony in court that the pair had then used the severed head as a puppet by placing a hand up through the neck, and had thrown it around as one would a football. The pair were the first to be put on trial for “violation of sepulchre”- an old grave robbing law -in over 100 years. They almost faced a jail sentence but were instead released on probation (English, 2004). All of the scandal that surrounded the 2003 incident was not to be found for an alleged similar incident in 1998. This, along with the lack of available evidence seems to suggest this occurrence probably didn’t happen at all. Or if it did, there is only eye-witness testimony alone to rely on which isn’t sufficiently accurate.

Our estate is built around a former Victorian hospital that has been converted into housing. The old chapel is now a nursery, to which two of my three children went, and the superintendent's house contains the local Multiple Sclerosis centre and a one-man doctor's surgery.

Our house looks across the back of the hospital as far as its ballroom, and there have been many nights when I've stood at our front window looking at it and wondering whether the place is haunted. It has even crossed my mind to make enquiries amongst the residents, but I suspect I would get short shrift. It doesn't stop me watching for ghostly lights tracking across the divided top floor as the former nurses make their eternal rounds... :-D

You're not on the old High Royd's site in Leeds by any chance?

Haven't been up there in a long time, surprised the last time I looked on google maps to see that for the most part they seem to have demolished just about everything including the huge imposing main building with the clock tower.

Hard to tell if much has been recycled as the new build seems to emulate the style of the old.

You're not on the old High Royd's site in Leeds by any chance?

No, I'm in Exeter. They kept the whole structure here including the clock tower, although the clock doesn't work - even what I think were the stables have been converted into housing. Then new houses have been stuck around the old buildings.

Back