• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

As I sit home alone in the dark night, reading all these posts, I keep hearing strange little noises . . . :cskull:

We used to have a poster (Johnnyboy?) who was something like a caretaker in Youth Hostels. So he was delighted to read our spooky stories when he was working alone. At night. With the Devil.

We used to have a poster (Johnnyboy?) who was something like a caretaker in Youth Hostels. So he was delighted to read our spooky stories when he was working alone. At night. With the Devil.

They are all bloody devils in them youth hostels

I believed I saw a ghost when I was quite young. I screamed for my Mum who told me it was only a dream. The block of maisonettes we grew up in were reputedly haunted and me and my siblings encountered “weird stuff” on a quite regular basis. As I grew older my experiences diminished and apart from a few instances in a hotel whilst working abroad and a peculiar incident at home in 2007 I haven’t experienced much at all, only the very rare sleep paralysis which I don’t believe is paranormal.
The funny thing is, after decades of getting on my soapbox about the paranormal to non believers, I am becoming increasingly sceptical about it all.
Whilst I still like to read or view paranormal articles I am actually questioning what I experienced as a kid and trying to find an explanation of the causes that are not paranormal or supernatural.
I sometimes wonder if we are possibly more “in tune” with the other side when we are young and as more important things come into our life, beer, women, mortgage and sprogs, we tune out?
I like the order of things coming into our lives starting with beer! I agree that as I have become older, I still have a really open mind about things and do believe in the paranormal,However I maybe question things more. When I was younger I would look for the paranormal explanation first, rather than the logical.I think we are maybe less open and willing to believe or maybe less surprised?by things.

Whenever anyone asks me that question, I say…yes 100%, there is no doubt in my mind that I saw the apparition of a young Girl, in my friends parents’ house - this was about 20 odd years ago

I didn’t say anything at the time as I didn’t believe that I had seen it, thought it was a figment of my Imagination etc ,but my mates sister saw the same thing a few minutes later.

If anyone far more intelligent than I, can give me a non fortean logical explanation then fine, but explain away how two people saw the same thing a few minutes apart !!!
My girlfriend used to live in a haunted place. One night her boyfriend came over to stay and due to her room being very small he had to pile all his motorbike gear up against the door. At some point during the night a figure appeared (that other family members had also seen around the place). They both clearly saw this figure until he faded away.

I have seen and heard a number in my time, animal ghosts also, a ghost cat which I've written about at this forum before.
The one which stands out to me was the first that I saw and it happened in 1979.
My parents divorced when I was 8 and my mother met another man some years later. In 1979, we moved two hours south of Sydney to large property in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, Australia.
The house we lived in was built by the son of the founder of Sydney's first newspaper and was (and still is) what could be termed a grand mansion. It was a 'u' shaped house, had 16 bedrooms, 49 rooms in total, a separate ballroom (we used as a billiard room), plus there were two other houses on the property, one by the gate (which I've written about here also) and the stable keepers house.
One portion of the house was two stories high and also contains two large cellars. This section of the house was previously the staff quarters and in comparison to the rest of the house, was rather dilapidated.
For me, who'd grown up in the city, I found this part fascinating. There was lots of junk left from the previous owners (a doctor and his family) plus my step father's collection of stuff that his mother had collected on the journeys around the world.
One afternoon after school, I was upstairs exploring through boxes of books and old photos when I needed to go to the bathroom.
The only bathroom upstairs had a toilet which faced directly away from the door. When exiting the room, you then looked directly toward the landing of the staircase that you walked up to get there and a large window looking out into the paddocks/fields outside.
After finishing and washing my hands, I walked out to continue my explorations when I saw a man with his back towards me, on the landing looking out the window.
He was quite a purple colour and though someone had drawn his outline in thin air. The outline however, was fuzzy and seemed electric, insomuch as it appeared to be moving. He had his arms behind his back and appeared to be wearing a military uniform. I could see epaulets on his shoulders, although he had no hat on.
I stared at him, unable to move, terrified for some seconds, at least 10, if not more. He was blocking my only way downstairs. The figure continued looking out the window as it slowly faded away before me eyes.
I stayed where I was and took a step closer, only 2 metres from where it stood and waiting a few more moments before running down the stairs to tell my mother.
She didn't disbelieve me, though told me not to be frightened. A year or so later, she had her own experience, seeing a lady in a dressing gown walk out of an open bedroom door, down a hallway and into another bedroom late one night.
As mentioned, I've seen a number since, but this was my first and most memorable.
I'd love to know more about the history of that house. Did you ever find out if it had a military connection?

Somehow, these demons seems to be catholic in the other dimension and needs a catholic cleansing.
I wonder what they were before christianity?
This reminds me of a paranormal (not strictly ghost but kinda relevant) experience a friend's brother had, when we were kids.

Friend had Irish Catholic parents who were very religious. House was full of little statues of various saints, etc. Friend's little brother had to have a serious op and 'died' on th eoperating table (he was very young - 5 or 6 maybe, I forget). When he came round, he reported seeing the Virgin Mary when he 'went to the light' briefly.

Always intrigued me that this catholic kid saw Mary - which a not catholic kid never would have. So culture specific.

True. Every time I read or hear a term like 'It was 3am but I was wide awake' or 'I know I was awake because I could see the light from the bedroom window' I think yeeeaaah...

There's no clear line between sleep and waking up, especially for children, so dreams can sometimes seem real.
Hey escargo, not sure where to fit this one in as I didn't see a ghost, but seeing as in happened in Hartshill I thought of you! In the late 90s I was waiting for a relation who was coming over to pick me up to go to my Grandad's funeral. Suddenly, I heard a loud 'bang' from my bedroom. I went to investigate to find that my mirror had fallen off the wall from about five feet up and was upright leaning against the wall with no damage. In fact it looked like it had been placed there, as I would have bet my life that it should be lying flat on the floor. On telling people this they usually say ''well mirrors fall of the wall all the time'' (which I would dispute), but regardless, I perhaps wouldn't have thought too much more about it (even though the mirror had been there for a good year and a half without falling), until I mentioned it to the Mother of my girlfriend at the time. Straight away she said ''oh yes, they often use mirrors and/or lights to let you know they've passed over.'' In the same house (Coronation Road) a year later I came home to find a light on on the day of my Aunties funeral. I have NEVER come home to find I've left a light on before or since that time.

Hey escargo, not sure where to fit this one in as I didn't see a ghost, but seeing as in happened in Hartshill I thought of you! In the late 90s I was waiting for a relation who was coming over to pick me up to go to my Grandad's funeral. Suddenly, I heard a loud 'bang' from my bedroom. I went to investigate to find that my mirror had fallen off the wall from about five feet up and was upright leaning against the wall with no damage. In fact it looked like it had been placed there, as I would have bet my life that it should be lying flat on the floor. On telling people this they usually say ''well mirrors fall of the wall all the time'' (which I would dispute), but regardless, I perhaps wouldn't have thought too much more about it (even though the mirror had been there for a good year and a half without falling), until I mentioned it to the Mother of my girlfriend at the time. Straight away she said ''oh yes, they often use mirrors and/or lights to let you know they've passed over.'' In the same house (Coronation Road) a year later I came home to find a light on on the day of my Aunties funeral. I have NEVER come home to find I've left a light on before or since that time.

I wonder if you can remember whether the cord had snapped or if the hook had come out of the wall. Or if neither of these applied and all was intact.

I wonder if you can remember whether the cord had snapped or if the hook had come out of the wall. Or if neither of these applied and all was intact.
That's a good question David. I certainly don't recall having to fix the cord (as I took the mirror with me whenever I moved house), but I think the screw had indeed come out of the wall.

*expectant look*
yeah
tenor.gif

You lot! :rollingw:

OK then. This isn't something I saw, sadly, but I spoke with people who were there and have no reason to doubt them. I've posted it before.

An elderly lady died one day in a care home where I was working, after I left for home. The undertakers came and did the necessary.

This lady used to insist in having all the lights on in her room and her door open and the corridor light on outside at night.
The staff would comply and one of the night carers would nip down to the end of the corridor in the early hours to close the door and put the lights out.

After this lady's death her door was left open and the lights on as normal, possibly as a mark of respect. Late on a carer went down and turned off the lights and closed the door.
When she reached the other end of the corridor where the desk was, she turned around to look back and noticed that the door was open and the room lit up.

None of the residents was awake and they were certainly not nimble enough to do all that in the time available.
The night carer had hysterics and had to be more or less forcibly prevented from bolting out of the place, putting the management in breach of the minimum staffing regulations.

Next morning I heard the story at Handover. The frightened staff member had already scarpered. I don't believe she ever went back. Didn't scare me!
Something equally spooky happened to me there...

Anyway, Techy saw a ghost today, the lucky spud.

You lot! :rollingw:

OK then. This isn't something I saw, sadly, but I spoke with people who were there and have no reason to doubt them. I've posted it before.

An elderly lady died one day in a care home where I was working, after I left for home. The undertakers came and did the necessary.

This lady used to insist in having all the lights on in her room and her door open and the corridor light on outside at night.
The staff would comply and one of the night carers would nip down to the end of the corridor in the early hours to close the door and put the lights out.

After this lady's death her door was left open and the lights on as normal, possibly as a mark of respect. Late on a carer went down and turned off the lights and closed the door.
When she reached the other end of the corridor where the desk was, she turned around to look back and noticed that the door was open and the room lit up.

None of the residents was awake and they were certainly not nimble enough to do all that in the time available.
The night carer had hysterics and had to be more or less forcibly prevented from bolting out of the place, putting the management in breach of the minimum staffing regulations.

Next morning I heard the story at Handover. The frightened staff member had already scarpered. I don't believe she ever went back. Didn't scare me!
Something equally spooky happened to me there...

Anyway, Techy saw a ghost today, the lucky spud.
TELL ALL! TELL ALL!!

Dammit, I can't paste it on'ere, what's up?

From where are you copying the text?

The forum software sometimes balks at pasting text copied from (e.g.) webpages or files in which the text isn't rendered as plain ol' text. I've run into this issue when attempting to copy / paste text from sites that use a lot of Flash or other mediating widgets.

If this sounds like the same problem you're having ... Open a text editor, paste the copied text there first, then copy the text you just pasted (within the text editor) and paste it into the forum post entry box.

Unfortunately, there are rare cases where even this trick doesn't work.

You've heard this old story before but as we may have new members who might be interested I'm happy to repeat it.

I was working in a modern purpose-built care home mentioned earlier, with corridors on two floors radiating out from a central Nurses' Station. (Like the 19th century Panopticon design, in fact.)

My tasks took me up down one of these corridors past a room with the door open, where an elderly lady was dying. She was propped up on pillows in bed with a middle-aged daughter standing either side of her.

At one point as I went past I noticed one of the daughters waving to me so I went in and asked how I could help her.

She said wasn't beckoning me, she was actually batting a fly away from her mother's face. The other daughter agreed. There was a big fat black fly buzzing around, huge it was!

I suggested they open the window wide and nearly-close the curtains to encourage it to leave. That's always worked for me.

However, the daughters said their mother didn't mind the fly and in fact she'd said it was her pet, and they continued to bat at it. The mother looked at me and grinned.

All a bit weird, especially as there was no fly. I looked right into Mother's face and all around as we stood talking and saw exactly where the daughters were flapping their hands, and saw no fly of any description.

As there was nothing further for me to do right then I reminded everyone that they only needed to ring the bell and we'd be there straight away, and I backed carefully out of the door and got on with my other jobs and eventually went home.

Care homes are places used to death and they have little customs around it, like hospitals do. One is to keep the windows closed where a person is dying. This is to do with murky half-remembered beliefs about the the Devil's minions popping in to retrieve the person's soul.
The minions arrive in disguise, looking like, say, a fly...

OK, sorted now.

Today Techy was walking along an underground corridor at work leading to the IT computer room to check some equipment, as he regularly does. As you go along the ceiling lights in front of you come on one at a time on a motion sensor.

At the far end of the corridor there's an electrical substation. In front of the door to it there was a figure standing still, apparently facing Techy.

It looked normal human height, like a dark shadow but with 'depth', he said, but no features, and was visible by the lights at the end where Techy was walking.

The motion sensors turn the lights on for a few seconds at a time, but only the ones nearest Techy were activated. So whoever the figure was, they were perfectly still, or at least they hadn't tripped the motion sensors.

As Techy drew closer and the third light along came on, illuminating the figure, it was more clearly visible for a couple of seconds and then disappeared.

There's a fire door nearby but apart from that, no way out except back past Techy. The figure didn't walk away and out of the door though, it just vanished.

What about that then, eh! Eh! Eh!

Last edited:
OK, sorted now.

Today Techy was walking along an underground corridor at work leading to the IT computer room to check some equipment, as he regularly does. As you going along the ceiling lights in front of you come on one at a time on a motion sensor.

At the far end of the corridor there's an electrical substation. In front of the door to it there was a figure standing still, apparently facing t'MB.

It looked normal human height, like a dark shadow but with 'depth', he said, but no features, and was visible by the lights at the end where t'MB was walking.

The motion sensors turn the lights on for a few seconds at a time, but only the ones nearest Techy were activated. So whoever the figure was, they were perfectly still, or at least they hadn't tripped the motion sensors.

As Techy drew closer and the third light along came on, illuminating the figure, it was more clearly visible for a couple of seconds and then disappeared.

There's a fire door nearby but apart from that, no way out except back past t'MB. The figure didn't walk away and out of the door though, it just vanished.

What about that then, eh! Eh! Eh!
t'MB?

Back