• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wright-Patterson AFB's Connections To UFOs / Ufology

SkepticalX

Ephemeral Spectre
... WPAFB has been a center for laser research. I worked there briefly about 15 years ago and there were a number of stories at that time about beams of laser light emanating from a strange tower on the base.

There are supposed to be miles of tunnels and underground facilities at the base. This includes the infamous Blue Room. I heard from a few Air Force vets that the Blue Room was a real place but they insisted it had nothing to do with alleged extraterrestrial artifacts. Unfortunately they provided no additional details. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
... There are supposed to be miles of tunnels and underground facilities at the base. This includes the infamous Blue Room. I heard from a few Air Force vets that the Blue Room was a real place but they insisted it had nothing to do with alleged extraterrestrial artifacts. Unfortunately they provided no additional details. :(

The elaborate underground tunnel system does exist on Area B (the original Wright Field), but it was mainly used for munitions storage during the active bomber base days and routing for steam pipes from centralized heating facilities.

Circa 1996 or 1997 a civilian contractor was arrested for exploring the old tunnels without permission. As I recall, he was caught by an armed guard down in the tunnels. There were armed guards down in the old tunnel system to protect something ...

... The largest collection of vintage films in the USA, including dangerously volatile nitrate stock and the American Film Institute archives. At that time, and to this day, WPAFB has been the home of the Library of Congress Motion Picture Conservation Center.

The tunnel / storage complex covers a lot more than the vaults mentioned in the news item below.

The Library of Congress Motion Picture Conservation Center
It is the mission of the Library of Congress Motion Picture Conservation Center to actively conserve, preserve and restore the Nation's motion picture heritage in the collections of the Library of Congress's Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (M/B/RS). Since the early 1970's, the Library of Congress has maintained an active film preservation program. It is currently the only such program in the United States funded primarily with public monies.

In the late 1960's, the Library began storing much of its nitrate film archive at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, located just northeast of Dayton, Ohio. The Air Force offered the Library the use of its motion picture facility, which included 100 purpose- built nitrate storage vaults.

By the early 1970's, the Library was involved in a cooperative project with the American Film Institute (AFI) and was accepting large gift collections of nitrate film from many of Hollywood's major studios. These included Columbia, Universal, Warner Brothers, and MGM. Today, under the stewardship of M/B/RS, the nitrate film holdings, dating from the 1890's through 1950, exceed 100 million feet.

The Motion Picture Conservation Center at Wright-Patterson AFB now consists of two primary facilities, the Film Vaults and the Motion Picture Preservation Laboratory. The Center currently has 20 full and part-time employees, almost half of which are paid for through the use of Gifts and Trust funds.

The Film Vaults facility provides safe storage for the highly flammable nitrate film by maintaining the environment at a temperature of 52 to 55 degrees fahrenheit and a relative humidity between 35 and 40 percent. Additional safety features include special double doors which will automatically close in the event of a fire, and blow out panels which would help to direct the flames and smoke from a fire away from the other vaults.

The facility's 100 vaults are separated in half by a central corridor, with all doors opening towards the corridor. Each vault can hold up to 1000 or more reels of nitrate film stored in metal cans on cores. All films are stored flat (not on edge), the current recommended practice for archiving master material.

The Motion Picture Preservation Laboratory moved to Dayton from Washington in 1981. It consists of a nitrate vault for the temporary storage of film as it is being preserved, along with nitrate preparation, timing, printing, developing and viewing facilities. Most of the equipment in the Laboratory has been modified in order to properly copy the aging and shrunken nitrate films. In addition, full immersion printers are used in order to photographically conceal the scratches and other base defects found on old films. All black and white films are developed in- house, while color developing is handled under contract at a commercial laboratory.

The Conservation Center has completed a number of major film restorations over the past few years. These include MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON (1939), THE MALTESE FALCON (1941), and WITHIN OUR GATES (1920), the oldest surviving feature film directed by an African-American. Current restoration efforts include MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936) and the entire Paper Print Collection, which is being remastered onto 35mm film.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/mopic/mpcc.html

The elaborate underground tunnel system does exist on Area B (the original Wright Field), but it was mainly used for munitions storage during the active bomber base days and routing for steam pipes from centralized heating facilities.

Circa 1996 or 1997 a civilian contractor was arrested for exploring the old tunnels without permission. As I recall, he was caught by an armed guard down in the tunnels. There were armed guards down in the old tunnel system to protect something ...

... The largest collection of vintage films in the USA, including dangerously volatile nitrate stock and the American Film Institute archives. At that time, and to this day, WPAFB has been the home of the Library of Congress Motion Picture Conservation Center.

The tunnel / storage complex covers a lot more than the vaults mentioned in the news item below.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/mopic/mpcc.html
Wright Patterson airbase - research facility is a very likely target for people looking for weird - unusual explanations concerning top secret United States government R + D efforts.
I once was involved in an effort (teamed up with the folks at Wright - Patterson) to transmit an Electromagnetic beam straight thru a solid metal conductor, "which should be theoretical impossible". Never did find out the whole story since, after documenting - reporting the data to the DOD, I was swore to secrecy. The testing - research had to be performed behind several secure metal doors which required a very high clearance to enter. The codes were changed often.
A lot of extreme and unusual technology goes on at the Wright - Patterson base - facility, being one of the worlds top government research facilities. I very highly drought it involves extraterrestrials or paranormal phenomena.
Why give away the credit away to out-worldly_paranormal sources, when the technology developed there speaks for itself.

... WPAFB has been a center for laser research. I worked there briefly about 15 years ago and there were a number of stories at that time about beams of laser light emanating from a strange tower on the base. ...

I suspect they may have been referring to a tall 'clocktower'-looking spire with windows atop all 4 sides rising out of the roof of Building 39 (if it still exists). It was built during a major remodeling in the 1990's. The tower enclosed an open shaft extending down to the lowest floor. There was some sort of mirror array in the top windowed section. It was a specialized structure used for optics experiments, and supposedly the mirrors allowed them to do whatever they did with light in both directions (incoming from top to bottom and outgoing from bottom to top).

Last edited:
I worked at Wright Patterson AFB back in the early 2000s. I was surprised by how much of the base is underground. I never heard anything about a real hangar 18 but there were persistent rumors about a "Blue Room". ETH-ers think it holds either wreckage or entity remains. However, one pilot with whom I spoke was more cryptic, saying it didn't contain what people thought it did. He would not elaborate.

I worked at Wright Patterson AFB back in the early 2000s. I was surprised by how much of the base is underground. I never heard anything about a real hangar 18 but there were persistent rumors about a "Blue Room". ETH-ers think it holds either wreckage or entity remains. However, one pilot with whom I spoke was more cryptic, saying it didn't contain what people thought it did. He would not elaborate.
Yes, I seem to recall a TV show that mentioned the underground facilities there. I may be wrong, but I think they were discussing hauntings! I would imagine most of the wreckage there would be recovered Russian or Chinese aircraft or even satellites.

A lot of the buildings at Wright-Patt seemed to date back to the 1940s. Some buildings had old crates stacked up outside them. I always hoped I'd find one with the word "Kecksburg" stenciled on the side, but no luck. ;)

We were based at WPAFB in the early '90s. There was a lot underground then, not all of it secrete as we had an International liquor store organised by Canadians in a bunker. They had some interesting stock, which may be connected with some of the more unusual evening sightings.

Back