• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Stranger Things

And Fletch is going to be one of the influences on the new series??

Apparently.

Season 3 coming July 4th...

I declare that in North America, from that date on July the 4th will be a national holiday, celebrating the release of the the third series of Stranger Things.

I hope they do something new this time, the last one was, more or less, a "bigger" version of the first.

We never had 'Stranger Things' on TV over here (AFAIK).
Looks inspired by Spielberg's work.

Especially the soundtracks!

Those are almost more Tangerine Dream-esque to me, but there's definitely a big JC influence there in the score, as well as in the drama itself.

The whole thing is an effective 80s pastiche, I liked both series but with a nagging feeling that it was cynically constructed to appeal to the likes of me and many here and elsewhere.

I thought it was just OK, and the number for a name girl grew more obnoxious as it went along.

I thought it was just OK, and the number for a name girl grew more obnoxious as it went along.

I liked the first series much more than the second, but I found both really satisfying.

I could bore on about all the details, but I'll limit myself to: it managed an unlikely freshness in spite of that fact that it was composed almost entirely of derivative elements: the cocktail was mixed in precisely the right proportions.

And I'm almost always disappointed by anything hyped to the heavens.

I like to make up my own mind, and if I agree with the hype so be it, I don't mind going with the herd if I can see the quality. But ST was too derivative for me, I enjoyed all the stuff it rips off first time around, and can't stop comparing it. Funnily enough I really enjoyed the adaptation of IT Chapter One, even though it would probably never have happened (or been as successful) without ST.

I didn't get round to watching stranger things until way after both seasons had been released. i was aware of the hype but assumed that it was probably just that. but no. i really really enjoyed it. not perfect, nothing is. joyces cryface got annoying after a while, the teenage boy with the perm hair in the 2nd series was a pointless bully character. maybe it was just me but i also kept expecting
some of the adult male characters to turn out to be bad-uns; the boys teacher, bob (rip bob), Hop, but they were actually just what they seem, nice guys

the comparison to grown up films from the era is fair, but ST is so much like the 'kids 'adventure films from the era- ET, the goonies, Daryl, flight of the navigator, short circuit, explorers and so on. i grew up watching those films, ST is definitely has that vibe.

Sooo... who's watching? Any other yanks besides myself who can identify with what it was like in the 70's/80's/90's when a huge mall opened in a town and completely changed the landscape of daily life? Intresting to see that as part of the Hawkins backdrop this season. Definitely a familar scene to see "Main Street" go quiet as all the Mom and Pop businesses succumb to the shiny new mall.

Just started watching season 1 over the last few weeks.

Definitely seems to have the period spot on, esp. for a time that I'd have been around the same age as the characters, good use of music too.

Monster is nicely out there.

Actually feels like a show that could have been made around that time but never would have been.

Ha, got to the end of season 3 tonight. Took ages to warm up (which was why I took so long to complete it) but with episode 7 I thought, yes, at last this is getting good. I thought the finale would be as good, but it was awfully drawn out, and the whole season turned Hopper into a complete maniac...

...when he gunned down those guards it was very unpleasant, and out of character for a supposed hero.

But that aside, looking back on the whole thing, eh, it was alright, a solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

Incidentally, US TV producers, being allowed to say the word "shit" in your projects doesn't mean the characters should say it every other line.

Have watched two episodes so far.

Mrs. Yith & I both enjoyed it, and we were major fans of series 1 and 2 (the second very slightly less than the first, but it was still great).

So far so good, but they are laying the 'relationships' theme a bit thick at this stage. Yes, stuff with Billy looks interesting and neither plot was clear after two episodes in the previous two series either, but I hope the tone changes soon.

Steve is our favourite and has been since he started whacking hounds in series 2.

Stranger-Things-637x386.jpg
ST3-Production-Still-4.jpg

I haven't watched season 3 yet...but maybe soon...need to hook up with netflix....
at any rate I actually live in Indiana.....of course Hawkins is a fictional town...and it's filmed mostly in and near Atlanta, GA.

I really liked season 3. I thought it was far funnier than the first two, plus had a nice line in proper scary moments. Steve is awesome in it too. He's got a great development as a character from the 'bit of a git' in season 1.

Season 2 I didn't enjoy so much. It felt like a collection of great characters that I cared about, desperately looking around for a decent plot. Some good moments but it took me ages to watch. Season 3 hits the ground running though.

We binged Season 3 when it was released back in July but I forgot to come here and complain about it. So I'll keep it short.

I didn't like one thing about it. Season 1 was brilliant. Season 2 was fun but lacked a plot. Season 3 was dreadful.

Back