• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

What are the most haunted areas of your village?

There are three I know of in Adelaide.

1. The Goodwood Orphanage, which I stayed in on a school trip in 1982. One of the teachers threw up a cardboard cutout of a figure in the arch of the belltower with a lamp behind it after dark and shreiked himself to ecstacy for our benefit. Anyway, it's purported to be haunted by the souls of the dear departed parentless of yore.
2. Greenhill Rd / Hallet Rd Intersection - a recent urban myth of the haunted walkway between the houses at night
3. The old Adelaide Gaol - scene of the last hanging in Australia ~ a woman (Elizabeth Woolcock) was one of the last.

Here's a video with apt spooky toons.
Cool thread.

Wow! Dick, I own a 10 inch starliner, Never used it for gazing eathbound heavenly bodies but I reckon it would do. Just kidding. Darn few structures on this side of the pond that old (I guess there are a few on the coast' bur very few in Ohio. My house is considered old here. you guys would consider it slightly used (1857)' I love to hear old ghost tales from Scotland, England, and Ireland.

When I was a kid there was this pub in Watford Northamptonshire called the Henley Arms. It was supposed to be haunted by a woman who used to materialise in the guest rooms and the cellar. Someone told me Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did a seance there at one time, but not sure if that's true. I always used to think it'd be good to visit it to see if I could feel any presence, but by the time I was old enough to go into pubs it had been converted into a house so I never did.

Sir Arther was really into the paranormal during his time defending the Cotterly girls fairy photographs. So maybe he did have a go at the pub.

Wow! Dick, I own a 10 inch starliner, Never used it for gazing eathbound heavenly bodies but I reckon it would do. Just kidding. Darn few structures on this side of the pond that old (I guess there are a few on the coast' bur very few in Ohio. My house is considered old here. you guys would consider it slightly used (1857)' I love to hear old ghost tales from Scotland, England, and Ireland.

I was working in Columbus Ohio a few years back.

Jesus it was cold! Even relatively modest incomes buy immense houses there and EVERYONE was having their own houses built.

Over here you need planning permission to build a shed.

There ARE ancient structures in Ohio, just not of European American origin. People build wherever they are. You could paraphrase the cliche by saying that there are Indian burial grounds, and Indian grounds that were buried. There were ambitious Native constructions using earth that got plowed over by white settlers whose survival depended on farming at a time when no one in power cared a fig about ancient North American civilizations. Here's a map:
https://www.zeemaps.com/view?group=3008794

Nowadays, there can still be obstacles to exploring past creations. Shell Mound Road in Emeryville, CA was named Shell Mound because the Native people who originally lived in the area dumped their seafood shells there. Archeologists wanted to study the debris, but Emeryville zoned it for a parking lot for the shopping centers they wanted. More city revenue that way. :tears:

Last edited:
I was chatting with someone who recently got a job in a shop on Stonegate in York, this week. She told me her shop has two ghosts - one upstairs and one downstairs. She was just saying to someone in there last week that she still hadn't seen/experienced the ghost and she sort of didn't believe in it anyway and wouldn't unless she saw or felt summat tangible. A few hours later, she was alone in a part of the shop (it has several connected small rooms) and thought a kid had bowled into her. She apologised to the person she thought had walked into her. Turned round and of course, nothing there. She said it was so solid she could feel it and her arm had pins and needles for half an hour or so after. Apparently customers have seen it and one even got a photo of a column of mist in the corner where it's been sighted.

She said when the subject of ghosts came up, other employees - some have worked there years and have relatives and friends in other shops down the street - reckon every single shop on that side of the street, at least, is haunted. And apparently a number of shop workers down there have repeated experiences. (Like the woman who worked in Clifford's Tower told us she and lots of other employees there have had at closing time).

She had to go through some stock in an attic, and said she kept hearing musical boxes going off. The shop doesn't sell them. Not sure of the timeline but got the impression this was before the feeling of someone bowling into her - and she was scared but, at that point, determined nothing paranormal was going on.

Apparently quite a few of the shops have stockroom space in the cellars but some choose to rent stockrooms elsewhere in town, even though it means people have to go backwards and forwards to get stock and they have to pay extra rental - because - get this - she says a large number of shop workers have seen sort of top halves of Roman soldiers marching (as in the famous York story) - so many that a number of the shops don't use the cellars. Now I grew up locally and I haven't heard about the Roman soldiers in any other context than the famous story of the Treasurer's House. This is about a 3 minute walk away.

Husband has a mate used to work in the old Jonathan Cainer head shop on Stonegate - will have to ask him if he ever saw anything. In a shop full of tarot cards and pagan paraphernalia - maybe more likely!

My son works in a shop on The Shambles and he says some of the stuff they sell is often being moved around and not by customers. He's not seen or experienced anything apart from that but he reckons many of his colleagues have.

Interesting result! I've never heard of this before.
It rang a bell with me as when we were kids my stepsister and I did the ouija board. As 'a laugh' totally not taking it seriously, at first. And the same thing - the minute it started, this really strong feeling of pins and needles down the arm. Have never forgotten that so when she said she felt like that for a while afterwards, I remembered that.

i live in Forfar . only a few miles from Glamis castle and its countless spooks! the ghost club did a vigil at the former forfar dispatch offices (makes very good reading on their website) was never aware of that building being haunted while growing up but the staff broke into a sealed up room!

Nowadays, there can still be obstacles to exploring past creations. Shell Mound Road in Emeryville, CA was named Shell Mound because the Native people who originally lived in the area dumped their seafood shells there. Archeologists wanted to study the debris, but Emeryville zoned it for a parking lot for the shopping centers they wanted. More city revenue that way. :tears:

awful :(

same with a lot of mounds :(

I could do this as an ETA but will do it as a separate post as it's a different one. But the same people.

They told me about the shops last week. I saw son and his partner again this week and one of the first things they said was they forgot to tell me about what happened to them that very day we were talking, on the wall. (York).

They were walking round the wall - they have just got their first place and son's fiancee comes from somewhere else entirely so they're still doing all the touristy stuff you do when you first live in the city.

Son said they had just got on at Monk's Bar, and hadn't got very far - there were a load of tourists at the same point, and the Minster bells were ringing which they could hear clearly. When they started hearing what they could only describe as 'male voices wailing' - the nearest they could describe it was that it was louder than/over the sound of the bells, and seemed, somehow, to be coming from the same direction as the bells (sound carried on the wind?)

They said it was so loud and weird they reacted "WTF was that?" and it went on briefly then stopped. They couldn't describe whether it faded or stopped abruptly. They looked at all the tourists round them but none reacted or seemed to have heard a thing.

Son isn't particularly woo at all, in fact has always been a cynic. Although since he started working on The Shambles he's become a bit more open to the idea of the paranormal, to say the least...

Just dropping this here.

I found the Buckinghamshire entries from the https://paranormaldatabase.com/
My favourite is :

Fast Moving Man
na.gif

Type: Other
Date / Time: December 2010
Further Comments: Occupiers of a van travelling at fifty miles per hour along this road encountered a tall man dressed in brown old fashioned clothing who ran out from a slip road and continued to travel down the central reservation, moving faster than the witnesses.

The most relevant to my street:

Driverless Coach
na.gif

Date / Time: 1994, late summer
Further Comments: A stagecoach with horses but no driver was seen by a witness in a car driving in the opposite direction along this road.

Fast Moving Man
na.gif

Date / Time: December 2010
Further Comments: Occupiers of a van travelling at fifty miles per hour along this road encountered a tall man dressed in brown old fashioned clothing who ran out from a slip road and continued to travel down the central reservation, moving faster than the witnesses.
Are there any country roads with a central reservation near Chesham station?
I couldn't find any.

Are there any country roads with a central reservation near Chesham station?
I couldn't find any.

Hmm, has to be the Chesham turn off from the Missenden by-pass before you hit Amersham (which admittedly is not near the Station) - nice imagery though.

I wonder if that's the same direction as Clifford's Tower?

No, the Minster is much closer to where they were although intially i had the same thought as you and double checked where they were...

Clifford's tower just too far away I think, plus they said the sound was so loud it was startling. I'm seeing them tomorrow so will grill them again. This only happened last week so it's a fresh un.

Thursday night is Curry Night.
na.gif

Location: Bishop's Stortford - Private house along Mary Park Gardens
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Late 1990s
Further Comments: A family living along this street reported an unpleasant entity that would lock the bathroom door from the inside and fill the house with an oppressive atmosphere.

Date / Time: 24 December 2013, and January 2014
Further Comments: In December 2013 a witness encountered two small girls with long hair leaping over concrete posts along an alleyway. Walking away from the girls, the witness then heard a scream. The witness turned to see that one of the girls had fallen to the floor. As the witness ran over to help, both girls disappeared. A month later the same witness spotted one of the girls skipping under a lamppost along the same alleyway, once again vanishing when approached.

I found reading this one slightly creepy, as several years ago and prior to the dates listed above, I was in the same alleyway with my two daughters - who would have been then 10 and 7 years of age.

It was a bright Saturday afternoon in early summer, and I was taking the kids to Freeport to buy them new summer dresses for an upcoming family wedding.

The alleyway is quite long and runs about 500 yards in distance, alongside a local school and football pitches, with trees and bushes on either side.

As we rounded a bend in the alleyway, we saw (and this is very difficult to describe) a female figure about 50 yards ahead, who appeared to be sanding on one leg, her arms outstretched, with the other leg stretched vertically above her head in a very unnatural way.

She was also swaying violently left to right, which was also weird, as I couldn’t work out how she would have kept her balance by doing this, while standing on just the one leg.

We immediately stopped walking and watched her doing this strange creepy swaying motion, with my youngest girl saying that she was scared and wanted to turn back.

After a few moments the figure noticed that we were watching, and slowly “went back to normal” (told you it was difficult to describe).

What was even odder was that once she had gone back to normal, she stared walking very quickly towards us and as she passed, I felt a definite uneasy feeling of intimidation.

Age wise I would put this girl at about 14 or 15 years of age, and dressed quite normally in jeans, hoodie and trainers.

Most Haunted came to Witham, Essex to spend a night in the Spread Eagle Public House. I’ve lived in the town for 39 years and I had never heard a whisper of it being haunted. I knew a few of the bar staff who had worked there and knew of my interest in all things paranormal, they never once voiced an opinion that the place had a resident spectre.

Thursday night is Curry Night.
na.gif

Location: Bishop's Stortford - Private house along Mary Park Gardens
Date / Time: Late 1990s
Further Comments: A family living along this street reported an unpleasant entity that would lock the bathroom door from the inside and fill the house with an oppressive atmosphere.

I do something slightly similar, but its called a "dutch oven".

Date / Time: 24 December 2013, and January 2014
Further Comments: In December 2013 a witness encountered two small girls with long hair leaping over concrete posts along an alleyway. Walking away from the girls, the witness then heard a scream. The witness turned to see that one of the girls had fallen to the floor. As the witness ran over to help, both girls disappeared. A month later the same witness spotted one of the girls skipping under a lamppost along the same alleyway, once again vanishing when approached.

I found reading this one slightly creepy, as several years ago and prior to the dates listed above, I was in the same alleyway with my two daughters - who would have been then 10 and 7 years of age.

It was a bright Saturday afternoon in early summer, and I was taking the kids to Freeport to buy them new summer dresses for an upcoming family wedding.

The alleyway is quite long and runs about 500 yards in distance, alongside a local school and football pitches, with trees and bushes on either side.

As we rounded a bend in the alleyway, we saw (and this is very difficult to describe) a female figure about 50 yards ahead, who appeared to be sanding on one leg, her arms outstretched, with the other leg stretched vertically above her head in a very unnatural way.

She was also swaying violently left to right, which was also weird, as I couldn’t work out how she would have kept her balance by doing this, while standing on just the one leg.

We immediately stopped walking and watched her doing this strange creepy swaying motion, with my youngest girl saying that she was scared and wanted to turn back.

After a few moments the figure noticed that we were watching, and slowly “went back to normal” (told you it was difficult to describe).

What was even odder was that once she had gone back to normal, she stared walking very quickly towards us and as she passed, I felt a definite uneasy feeling of intimidation.

Age wise I would put this girl at about 14 or 15 years of age, and dressed quite normally in jeans, hoodie and trainers.

No intention to belittle the emotion you and your daughter felt, but if someone discovered me doing spontaneous yoga in a back alley I'd hurry by thinking "don't say a word" also.

I had a similar interpretation -- a young acrobat or gymnast practicing a particular move, then, because she was a teenager, being self conscious when seen, and acting defensively rather than in a friendly way.

i live in Forfar . only a few miles from Glamis castle and its countless spooks! the ghost club did a vigil at the former forfar dispatch offices (makes very good reading on their website) was never aware of that building being haunted while growing up but the staff broke into a sealed up room!

Hi sdoig, is this the correct write up you mentioned above? http://www.ghostclub.org.uk/investigations/FORFARDISPATCHINVESTIGATION2012.pdf

I didn't read the pdf all the way through, but much of what I did read I thought could be explained by rats, birds, and subtle drafts. However, the incidence of the clothes being tugged on, with one person feeling it and another seeing it, I found pretty wonderful!
Do you know if they ever did any historical research afterwards to verify if their vivid impressions corresponded to actual individuals and businesses associated with the building?

I may have mentioned it before but the article details the Bannister Doll of Preston.

I looked into it a little, unfortunately, the graveyard where she is allegedly buried has long been a car park (behind Friargate).

I also looked at some old newspaper articles on it, and the stories do not seem consistent to me, due to locations, where she allegedly walked and why she would be there to where she was supposed to be going.

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/offbeat/bannister-doll-s-deadly-vengeance-1-1246698

I couldn't access the site you provided, so just read a version of this story elsewhere. It made me wonder if the father was the person who killed the young men in revenge for "spoiling" his daughter. Perhaps he felt remorse at what he had done and lost the plot (as you all across the pond put it).

I once heard someone express the idea that ghost stories arise from society's guilty conscience. This was in the context of haunted New Orleans and an especially horrific case of tortured slaves within the city. Even by the standards of the day it was horrific; so why didn't anyone intervene? Hence, collective guilt which lingered as ghost stories passed down through the years.

So how could a man get away with beating his own daughter to death? His impunity would depend on the era. I can't find when this is supposed to have happened. If this is part of more recent history, then the fear inspired by the stories could be rooted in collective feelings of guilt for not having helped the young woman, and a sense of horror at what collective inaction had allowed.

Please understand I'm not saying there's no such thing as ghosts!

Back