• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Does "after sundown" equate to about 3pm in Judea? Because that's when it's supposed to have happened according to the Bible.

Of course, the JWs think he was on a pole, not a cross (they don't seem to quite get how crucifixion worked, or why it was called "crucifixion" for that matter). So maybe they have a different time for his death.

War of words breaks out among Jehovah's Witnesses
Attack on 'mentally diseased' worshippers who leave church provokes outcry
By Jerome Taylor, Religious Affairs Correspondent
Tuesday, 27 September 2011
The official magazine for Jehovah's Witnesses has described those who leave the church as "mentally diseased", prompting an outcry from former members and insiders concerned about the shunning of those who question official doctrine.

An article published in July's edition of The Watchtower warns followers to stay clear of "false teachers" who are condemned as being "mentally diseased" apostates who should be avoided at all costs. "Suppose that a doctor told you to avoid contact with someone who is infected with a contagious, deadly disease," the article reads. "You would know what the doctor means, and you would strictly heed his warning. Well, apostates are 'mentally diseased', and they seek to infect others with their disloyal teachings."

A copy of the magazine, distributed by Jehovah's Witnesses around the world, was given to The Independent by a current member of the church who has become unhappy with official teaching but is afraid to leave for fear of losing his family.

"Many like me remain associated with the Witnesses out of fear of being uncovered as an 'apostate' and ousted, not just from the organisation, but from their own friends and families," said the man, who would only give the name John. "I find I am now branded as 'mentally diseased' – giving any who discover my true beliefs free licence to treat me with disdain."

As a faith with a centralised leadership, many forms of discipline are used to counter criticism of doctrine, with punishments ranging from restriction of official duties to excommunication. Those who have been thrown out of the church often find themselves ostracised by fellow believers.

A growing number of former and current Witnesses have begun to argue that the church's use of the word "mentally diseased" to describe defectors could be in breach of Britain's religious hatred laws. A group of former Witnesses in Portsmouth have now made an official complaint to Hampshire Police about the article and police are currently investigating.

Angus Robertson, a former Witness "elder" from Hampshire, who was present at the meeting with police officers, said: "The way scripture is being used to bully people must be challenged. If a religion was preaching that blacks or gays were mentally diseased there would understandable outrage."

Critics are also considering whether to complain to the Charity Commission. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain, which prints church doctrine in the UK, is a registered charity.

Rick Fenton, a spokesperson for the Watchtower Society, insisted last night that ostracisation was "a personal matter for each individual to decide for himself". "Any one of Jehovah's Witnesses is free to express their feelings and to ask questions," he said. "If a person changes their mind about Bible-based teachings they once held dear, we recognise their right to leave."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 61448.html

Don't know why the judge said he understood and sympathised with the stance of the parents; imho they are loons, brainwashed by a sick cult.

Judge rules on Jehovah's Witness baby blood transfusion
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-26420908

Birmingham Children's Hospital

Doctors from Birmingham Children's Hospital applied for an order to give the baby boy blood transfusions

A High Court judge has said a baby boy can undergo blood transfusions despite his parents' objections.

The baby has complex heart disease but his parents, who are Jehovah's Witnesses, said they could not consent to a transfusion on religious grounds.

Birmingham Children's Hospital had applied for an order to proceed with cardiac surgery and transfusions.

The judge, Mr Justice Keehan, heard the boy had no "long-term prospect of survival" without the surgery.

'Best interests'
The boy was born at the University Hospital of Coventry and Warwickshire on 7 February and placed in special care. He was transferred to intensive care in Birmingham the following day.

Although the baby's parents had agreed to surgery, they said they could not consent to their son receiving blood.

However, Mr Justice Keehan said receiving blood was in the boy's best interests, notwithstanding his parents' "understandable objections".

In a written ruling following a hearing in the Family Division of the High Court in London, he said: "I entirely understand and sympathise with the stance of these parents."

However, he added: "It is in [his] best interests to receive blood products both during the surgery and, if necessary, subsequent to it."

CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:
...imho they are loons, brainwashed by a sick cult....

And that's different to any other religion? :lol:

Nastier in this case because they would rather see a child die because god forbids blood transfusions.

Not all religions/cults are equally sick.

ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

Nastier in this case because they would rather see a child die because god forbids blood transfusions.

Not equally sick, no.....

Still brainwashed though. Funny how we grow out of some fairy stories but not others eh?

CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

Not equally sick, no.....

Still brainwashed though. Funny how we grow out of some fairy stories but not others eh?

Indeed. I used to be a Trotskyist.

A former Jehovah's Witness has claimed the religion is a 'cult' - 12 years after breaking away.

Speaking out on Channel 5 series Inside Scientology... and Escaping the Witnesses, Karen Stanway insisted that was warned against befriending those outside of the faith during her school years.

"We were taught that people who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses are evil and are controlled by Satan," she claimed. "So whenever I'd talk to people outside of our faith, I'd think, wow I had better not get too close as this person is controlled by Satan.

"They used to show us these pictures of what Armageddon looks like; people getting killed, earthquakes, faminine. Anytime I'd see anything like that on the news, I'd feel so anxious. I'd just hope that I'd done enough for the church to be one of the chosen saved ones.

"You're very much closed into this society. It was really difficult - especially at school.

"You just couldn't make friends. If you did, you'd have to come up with excuses as to why you couldn't go round their houses for dinner or for sleepovers. We weren't allowed on school trips which were overnight."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...t-non-believers-6313397#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Has anyone ever heard of a celebrity JW arriving on doorsteps to spread the word? It's supposed to be in the job description, er, faith description, and I once heard Serena Williams say she did it, but what are the odds of Prince showing up to try and indoctrinate you? Maybe they do it undercover, in disguise?

Has anyone ever heard of a celebrity JW arriving on doorsteps to spread the word? It's supposed to be in the job description, er, faith description, and I once heard Serena Williams say she did it, but what are the odds of Prince showing up to try and indoctrinate you? Maybe they do it undercover, in disguise?

Apparently Hank Marvin used to do the rounds regularly, but gave up because no one would take him seriously. He said that people kept expecting Jeremy Beadle or Noel Edmonds to jump out!

Five hours of part-talking pictures on the subject of Creationism.

A footnote in the history of the movies, perhaps, but a major event for J.W.s. This 1915 epic, combining moving pictures with recorded lectures and coloured lantern-slides, animations etc. was originally presented in four two-hour sections.

Funded by donations from the faithful, it was exhibited free.

What do you mean, "It would have to be!" :D

when we get into our Long Winter Evenings I may come to find this!

Colombia's Indigenous Wiwa Fight Back Against Jehovah Witnesses

In an act of self-determination, the Wiwa tribe expelled the religious organization for contributing to their “cultural and spiritual extermination."

The Wiwa Indigenous community in Colombia has expelled a group of missionaries from a church built by Jehovah's Witnesses inside their territory, which had been perceived as a threat to the culture, traditions and beliefs of the group.

The Wiwa have internal counselors called "mamos" who have deep influence in their communities and decide on relevant matters affecting them, including religious groups that may threaten local beliefs and customs.

Jose Gregorio Rodriguez, a spokesperson for the community, said the Wiwa are worried about religious organizations wanting to indoctrinate them.

"Religion advances in our territories, our children are losing our customs, they don't want to hear about our traditional law," Rodriguez said in an interview in September for RCN.

The Wiwa are mainly located in the northern states of the country and the name means "warm," which in "damana," the group's language, is used to describe those who come from Colombia's warmer lowlands.

The group ritually use coca leaves as a means of purifying the blood and increasing energy levels throughout the workday. Both religious groups ousted from the territory claim the tradition "abhorrent" and "satanic." ...

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/ne...-Against-Jehovah-Witnesses-20161022-0016.html

Saving Brother Ryan

I came across this quite entertaining show on radio iplayer.

Comedian & ex-Jehovas Witness Deborah Frances-White tells how she rescued a young man she'd met on the internet from the movement.

She travels from London to Canada to do so. I'm assuming it's true & not just a comedy show..

Man, that's given me a little chill of coincidence seeing the above post, there were a small army of JWs advancing up the street earlier today. I was stupid enough to answer the door to them and was asked if I ever thought what happens after we die, and what kind of bereavements I had had recently. Bloody ghouls.

“Pop in and l’ll help you find out. There’s a bit of room left under the patio.”

Ah, l'esprit de l'escalier! I just said "Do you mind if we don't?" and quietly closed the door. Don't want to rile people who spend their days thinking about the apocalypse.

I really don't mind JW's knocking on the door. They are always incredibly polite when I decline their offers , although they possibly realise immediately that I'm a lost cause.

I discussed this religion with a fine woman who is a member. My issue is the number 144,000 "spirit-anointed" Christians and what happens to the other Jehovah's who don't make the cut. Apparently, the rest of them act as servants to the special lot.

I suggested this didn't feel right and she basically didn't respond. Like most religion and people who follow religions, I don't think they have a clue like the rest of us and are just there for the social and emotional support.

I discussed this religion with a fine woman who is a member. My issue is the number 144,000 "spirit-anointed" Christians and what happens to the other Jehovah's who don't make the cut. Apparently, the rest of them act as servants to the special lot.

I suggested this didn't feel right and she basically didn't respond. Like most religion and people who follow religions, I don't think they have a clue like the rest of us and are just there for the social and emotional support.
I quickly learned not to engage in any discussion with JW's - they have a very rigid mind set.

I actually enjoyed a chat I had with one young lady a few years ago. She promised she'd come back but she didn't unfortunately.
It's funny, at school I spent three hours a week, for five years, having to do religious studies, which I had absolutely NO interest in and spent the entire time staring out of the window. I cannot remember one thing from those lessons, but over the years since then, I often have a read of the Bible. (When I say 'Bible' I mean the OT).
Anyway, we had a good chat and then an older woman came knocking, looking for her, and they went.
I do remember questioning her on people in the Bible living until they were 700 and asking her if she really believed that and she said ''yes, it's because they were pure of heart''.

I just tell 'em I'm a Scientologist and can easily top any insane belief they may have, then shoo them away.

I told that to some Mormon boys in white shirts and black ties. Never got another pair of those pests after that. We used to live perilously close to Utah, and we seemed to get the ones who maybe didn't do too well in their indoctrination and needed some easier marks to practice on. There were lots of Mormons around that town.

Years ago we used to get the Jehovas knocking on the door all the time.
One time when I was pregnant one actually came by himself and I had a chat with him, finishing by saying that I thought there were many paths to God.
The next time there was a carload of them and when I asked where Vince was they replied that he was no longer with them.
As they usually came when I felt like having a small nap I put a notice on the door of NO religious callers so that discouraged them for awhile.
Haven't had any for a few years now as they sold their local temple and as it's mostly migrants here now who are mainly Catholic or Buddhist so I guess they don't bother.

Years ago we used to get the Jehovas knocking on the door all the time.
One time when I was pregnant one actually came by himself and I had a chat with him, finishing by saying that I thought there were many paths to God.
The next time there was a carload of them and when I asked where Vince was they replied that he was no longer with them.
That'd be why they sent a carload to you. You convinced Vince into leaving.

I've had two lots round here recently.
First time it was two men, in their 60s, at 9.10am on a saturday. I looked out of the door window first and they were wearing black clothes, similar to what old time traffic wardens used to wear in the 1970s. I'd been drinking the night before, and only been asleep for about 3 hours. There's a sign in the front door window that says, "No cold callers." They started their sales patter, and I just closed the door, locked it and went back to bed without saying a word.

About 2 monts later, two women rang the bell, at a similar time on a saturday morning. I only answered the door because I thought it was the postman with a parcel I was expecting. These two women were also in their late 60s, dressed in the kind of clothes you see in really flea ridden charity shops. One of them started speaking, so I said, "Right. Go away. Thank you."
They'd already turned and started walking by the time I'd said go away.
Can't these people read ?

Man, that's given me a little chill of coincidence seeing the above post, there were a small army of JWs advancing up the street earlier today. I was stupid enough to answer the door to them and was asked if I ever thought what happens after we die, and what kind of bereavements I had had recently. Bloody ghouls.

I love how everyone else gets a bit of tolerance but we always stick the boot in with the JW's. :D

As I've posted on here before I know a woman who is a JW and yes I think her religious beliefs are bonkers, (no more than any others btw), but she is kind, wise, supportive, loyal etc. They supported her through some very bad times when other religions, due to bigotry, didn't.

the JW movement for all of its ridiculous beliefs have a very strong network and they look after each other.

Back