• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

roughly three times as many vehicles on the road now as in early 70s
Which, as long as you don't live in an isolated rural community on a no-through road, is still quite busy!

Is this the thread where mention is made of someone who mistook people moving beehives for a vision of a Victorian funeral?

There was a letter in t'FT about it. The beekeepers wore long coats and veils to protect themselves from the attentions of confused bees whose houses were being trundled along on a handcart. Someone saw them and completely misinterpreted the incident as described above.

I've just now been shown a picture of an actual Victorian wheeled coffin carrier. Here it is; this is what the person thought they saw -

coffin carrier.jpg

Couldn't think where to post this, so it goes here.

Culled from another site

..If we went to a zoo and suddenly a zebra turned toward us, looked us in the eye, and started pounding out a series of prime numbers with its hoof, that would establish a radically different relationship between us and the zebra, and we would feel compelled to respond...

There is a sci-fi story in which a physicist is stood by a fence looking at some cows.
Suddenly he blacks out, and on awakening finds he is now a cow. He tries to communicate with people there, but just makes cow noises.
Anyway, all the cows are herded onto a train and taken off for slaughter. In the yard awaiting his end, the physicist, starts drawing mathematical equations in the dirt. The man in charge of the stunning watches him, then leads him along with the others to slaughter.

It is pay day, and the guy handing out the paychecks asks him 'Hi Joe, anything unusual,happen today ?'.

'Not much Bill, I did have another of those odd cows making funny marks in the dirt though'.

Then he out a cross in the signature column of the wages book to indicate he had received his pay, and went home.

INT21.

At the tail end of last autumn, I was walking the dog around the block. I decided to cut a corner to avoid a busy road junction and walked through a street that runs parallel to the main road. The street itself is lined with semi-detached 1970s houses. I got halfway along when everything somehow went silent. The noise of the nearby traffic and the background noise from the factory less than half a mile away faded. There were no cars moving on the street and absolutely no-one about. I looked behind me and saw an old style ladies' bike locked to one of the support poles of the porch of a house. It was a step-through bike from the Seventies and in immaculate condition. For just a brief moment, I was convinced I had somehow looped back to the late 1970s for a few seconds. Nothing untoward happened, but the feeling of spookiness stayed with me for quite a while, even after I had gotten back out onto the main road again.

I wonder whether some time slips can be explained by confused auditory/ visual sensations such as you experienced. I say this after a similar experience myself this year.

To avoid the dreaded M6 we travelled up the A6 and stopped off at Matlock Bath to stretch our legs. Still quite busy despite being well out of season.

Walking down the main street we were attracted by a board advertising a model/craft shop down a short passageway through an archway in the terraced shops. We looked briefly in the window and walked down the remaining 5m or so having seen a courtyard at the end of the passage. I expected to see a (probably closed) bijou café, but what met us was a bit strange. A very old uneven stone flagged floor covered in dried leaves, the whole courtyard being covered at high level by an old wooden/glazed roof structure. There were 4 completely empty and nearly derelict commercial units, the lettering on their frontages being so faded as to be unreadable. Despite the traffic on the A6 outside being busy it was totally silent inside. The sensations were very strange indeed, and I have come to the conclusion that this was because the scene was so unexpected , it defied my sense of logic. Even a couple of months later I still recall the sensation when I think about the trip.

I suspect that the feeling would be similar to a "real" (mine wasn't) timeslip, where senses simply don't make "sense".

I wonder whether some time slips can be explained by confused auditory/ visual sensations such as you experienced. I say this after a similar experience myself this year.

To avoid the dreaded M6 we travelled up the A6 and stopped off at Matlock Bath to stretch our legs. Still quite busy despite being well out of season.

Walking down the main street we were attracted by a board advertising a model/craft shop down a short passageway through an archway in the terraced shops. We looked briefly in the window and walked down the remaining 5m or so having seen a courtyard at the end of the passage. I expected to see a (probably closed) bijou café, but what met us was a bit strange. A very old uneven stone flagged floor covered in dried leaves, the whole courtyard being covered at high level by an old wooden/glazed roof structure. There were 4 completely empty and nearly derelict commercial units, the lettering on their frontages being so faded as to be unreadable. Despite the traffic on the A6 outside being busy it was totally silent inside. The sensations were very strange indeed, and I have come to the conclusion that this was because the scene was so unexpected , it defied my sense of logic. Even a couple of months later I still recall the sensation when I think about the trip.

I suspect that the feeling would be similar to a "real" (mine wasn't) timeslip, where senses simply don't make "sense".

Auditory sensations do seem to feature heavily in testimonies of Timeslip occurrences. A sudden dip in volume seems to be the most common feature of this kind.

However, there is a very distinct difference between simply feeling very strange and actually experiencing something which could be classified as a time slip. More frequently it's seeing or encountering something which doesn't belong, and which feels like it could have strayed in from a different era.

Sound can very much be part of that, but a visual component is usually the tip off. Either seeing something change around you, or returning the place of the original incident to find it visually altered from what you saw the first time around. And in a fashion which would seem implausible in the amount of real time which had passed.

For example if I visited a shop one day and observed that it seemed a little old-fashioned, but very well upkept. Pristine fittings etc. But upon returning the following day I found the same shop to be closed. And somewhat derelict in a fashion that would suggest it had been abandoned for some time.

However, there is a very distinct difference between simply feeling very strange and actually experiencing something which could be classified as a time slip.
Yes, obviously. What I was trying to say was that perhaps some events reported as possible time slips are simply confused sensations resulting from coming across a place or experiencing an incident which somehow seems "out of place". I fully understand that not all reported cases can be explained thusly.

I can think of a few cases that could fall into this category. It's a matter of trying to distinguish between different types of subjective reaction, and the causes thereof. In your case maybe you could arrange to make a return trip and see whether the site still looks desolate and weird...

A somewhat vague, but potential time slip account from the 1930s, published on scientificmystery.com on 15th May 2019. Entering a strangely silent zone, the disconnected memory and possibly the thunderstorm too are factors common to several similar accounts.

".. there is a time travel story depicted which claims of a strange incident which happened with Mrs. Edna Hedges on the deserted “Roman” road Ermin Street (Swindon, England).
It was the time of the 1930s, when on one fine day, Mrs. Edna Hedges was cycling to her friend’s house. While she was on the way, she got struck by a violent thunderstorm, leaving her with no option but to knock on the door of a thatched cottage.
As she knocked on the door, she was welcomed by a strange tall and broad-shouldered old man. The man let the woman inside the house which felt very comfy as a hot burning fire in the fireplace kept the house warm. It had low ceilings. While the woman stayed in the house, she was struck by an amazing silence all around. She could not even hear the sound of the thunderstorm from outside. Even the old man did not utter a word to her; however, he was constantly smiling. The woman sat by the fire to warm herself and dry her damp clothes.

After a few minutes, Mrs. Hedges found herself once again on the road, riding her bicycle. She was amazed as she herself did not recall leaving the cottage and getting back on the road. When she arrived at her friend’s place she was completely dry. She explained everything to her friend; however, her friend knew about the old cottage, but was adamant that nobody could be living there. She said the cottage was dilapidated and had been unoccupied for about 50 years.
In an attempt to explain what had happened, Edna decided to retrace her steps. She did locate the old cottage, however, it had acquired totally another form. It now appeared utterly run-down and clearly abandoned.
While it appeared to be a supernatural occurrence, Mrs. Hedges insisted that her experience was real.

How did she magage to arrive at her friend’s home, totally dry, after cycling through a heavy rainfall?
Could it be a phenomenon of a time slip? Did Mrs. Edna Hedges travel back in time for some duration? "

Last edited:
I think I vaguely remember reading something about this experience somewhere...

was there some question that the couple were deaf? Wish I could remember where I read it now...

A somewhat vague, but potential time slip account from the 1930s, published on scientificmystery.com on 15th May 2019. Entering a strangely silent zone, the disconnected memory and possibly the thunderstorm too are factors common to several similar accounts.

".. there is a time travel story depicted which claims of a strange incident which happened with Mrs. Edna Hedges on the deserted “Roman” road Ermin Street (Swindon, England).
It was the time of the 1930s, when on one fine day, Mrs. Edna Hedges was cycling to her friend’s house. While she was on the way, she got struck by a violent thunderstorm, leaving her with no option but to knock on the door of a thatched cottage.
As she knocked on the door, she was welcomed by a strange tall and broad-shouldered old man. The man let the woman inside the house which felt very comfy as a hot burning fire in the fireplace kept the house warm. It had low ceilings. While the woman stayed in the house, she was struck by an amazing silence all around. She could not even hear the sound of the thunderstorm from outside. Even the old man did not utter a word to her; however, he was constantly smiling. The woman sat by the fire to warm herself and dry her damp clothes.

After a few minutes, Mrs. Hedges found herself once again on the road, riding her bicycle. She was amazed as she herself did not recall leaving the cottage and getting back on the road. When she arrived at her friend’s place she was completely dry. She explained everything to her friend; however, her friend knew about the old cottage, but was adamant that nobody could be living there. She said the cottage was dilapidated and had been unoccupied for about 50 years.
In an attempt to explain what had happened, Edna decided to retrace her steps. She did locate the old cottage, however, it had acquired totally another form. It now appeared utterly run-down and clearly abandoned.
While it appeared to be a supernatural occurrence, Mrs. Hedges insisted that her experience was real.

How did she magage to arrive at her friend’s home, totally dry, after cycling through a heavy rainfall?
Could it be a phenomenon of a time slip? Did Mrs. Edna Hedges travel back in time for some duration? "
Yes, that is an interesting case, although that account misses out one point, that the witness was a child at the time of the incident, so the "Mrs" might be incorrect.

I think it was in The Unexplained part-work, in a chapter on Phantom Cottages.
I never read The Unexplained though, so it must be somewhere else. Might even be on this august site.

I just remember there being some question about the couple never speaking to one another, and someone suggesting that it was the house of a deaf couple - it's really annoying me now.

I've just now been shown a picture of an actual Victorian wheeled coffin carrier. Here it is; this is what the person thought they saw -

View attachment 15314

I used to know someone who had one of those... in his garden. He used it like a wheelbarrow, moving things around his garden. I just assumed it was a kind of wheelbarrow until I saw your post.

I think I vaguely remember reading something about this experience somewhere...
was there some question that the couple were deaf? Wish I could remember where I read it now...

This same story (in remarkably butchered English) was posted online in 2016:

http://earth-chronicles.com/anomalies/the-phenomenon-of-ghost-towns.html

Like the May 2019 version, it attributes the story to:

... the book “Ghosts and legends of the local region”

I'm unable to locate any mention of a book with that title.

The Edna Hedges story is related with some different details on page 13 in:

The Journal of Borderline Research
Vol. XLIV, no. 6 (November - December 1988)

This is within a piece entitled "What are Ghosts?" by Vincent Gaddis.

In the paragraph / story preceding his account of the Hedges story, Gaddis refers to the Time-Life series Mysteries of the Unknown. It's not clear Gaddis drew the Hedges story from that same source, but IMHO that would be a good place to start in attempting to trace the Hedges story farther back.

In Gaddis' version of the story:

- Mrs. Hedges took shelter before the thunderstorm struck, and she didn't need to dry her clothing.
- Nothing is mentioned about the man or the cottage interior being unusually silent.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot the URL:

https://www.scribd.com/document/213...Research-Vol-XLIV-No-6-November-December-1988

Is this the thread where mention is made of someone who mistook people moving beehives for a vision of a Victorian funeral?

There was a letter in t'FT about it. The beekeepers wore long coats and veils to protect themselves from the attentions of confused bees whose houses were being trundled along on a handcart. Someone saw them and completely misinterpreted the incident as described above.

View attachment 15314
Wouldn’t mourners be wearing black? Bee keepers tend to wear lighter clothes and veils.

Is this the thread where mention is made of someone who mistook people moving beehives for a vision of a Victorian funeral? ...

You may be thinking of this 2002 post by FelixAntonius in the 'Anyone Seen a Ghost?' thread::

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/anyone-seen-a-ghost.621/post-28225

In this case, FA was told the story (which happened in the 1950's) and then realized it must have been his beekeeper father(?) and a friend moving hives.

However ...

I have a definite but vague memory of reading elsewhere about a similar incident in which beekeepers moving one or more hives on a handcart were mistaken as ghosts or a time-slip vision. It may have been within Fortean Times rather than here on the forum.

At the very limits of memory recall, I want to say this second story was written in relation to corpse roads / lych ways / spirit roads.

The Edna Hedges story is related with some different details on page 13 in:

The Journal of Borderline Research
Vol. XLIV, no. 6 (November - December 1988)

This is within a piece entitled "What are Ghosts?" by Vincent Gaddis.

In the paragraph / story preceding his account of the Hedges story, Gaddis refers to the Time-Life series Mysteries of the Unknown. It's not clear Gaddis drew the Hedges story from that same source, but IMHO that would be a good place to start in attempting to trace the Hedges story farther back.

In Gaddis' version of the story:

- Mrs. Hedges took shelter before the thunderstorm struck, and she didn't need to dry her clothing.
- Nothing is mentioned about the man or the cottage interior being unusually silent.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot the URL:

https://www.scribd.com/document/213...Research-Vol-XLIV-No-6-November-December-1988

Interesting. Sounds like a bit of Chinese Whispers trail on this one...

It makes for a wonderful short story, but tracing any reliable testimony for it would be unlikely.

I have a definite but vague memory of reading elsewhere about a similar incident in which beekeepers moving one or more hives on a handcart were mistaken as ghosts or a time-slip vision. It may have been within Fortean Times rather than here on the forum.

Yup, it was also described in a letter in t'mag.

As a child my elder brother would regularly take out ‘true’ supernatural books from the library, the Usborne ones and such like. One of the ‘true stories’ in these books always gave me a shiver. It involved a young boy in the 1960’s sat in his living room at home watching TV. Suddenly, in the doorway of the room appeared a man staring right back at him, wearing unusual clothes and looking, very confused. They boy let out a scream for his parents and the man vanished into thin air! Move forward 20 years, and the boy is now a man and still living in the same house. One day he walks into the living room, looks up and sees a young boy who looks familiar sat in a chair and watching an old TV. The boy shouts for his parents then vanished into thin air! The boy/man was the only witness to a time slip 20 years apart.

Though it was claimed to be a real story there was no information on the people involved and I’m sure it was the creation of someone’s imagination, but it always really intrigued me and was my first experience of time slips!

As a child my elder brother would regularly take out ‘true’ supernatural books from the library, the Usborne ones and such like. One of the ‘true stories’ in these books always gave me a shiver. It involved a young boy in the 1960’s sat in his living room at home watching TV. Suddenly, in the doorway of the room appeared a man staring right back at him, wearing unusual clothes and looking, very confused. They boy let out a scream for his parents and the man vanished into thin air! Move forward 20 years, and the boy is now a man and still living in the same house. One day he walks into the living room, looks up and sees a young boy who looks familiar sat in a chair and watching an old TV. The boy shouts for his parents then vanished into thin air! The boy/man was the only witness to a time slip 20 years apart.

Though it was claimed to be a real story there was no information on the people involved and I’m sure it was the creation of someone’s imagination, but it always really intrigued me and was my first experience of time slips!
I love little stories like that. Leaves so many questions hanging there in the air.

Ah, so the boy was the man... and saw himself in the future / in the past... I love stories like that.

Ah, so the boy was the man... and saw himself in the future / in the past... I love stories like that.
A friend of ours saw himself on the other side of the street once, they both looked at each other and he swears blind it was him. He always thought one day he would be on the other side of the street for the reverse view, but sadly he died before that happened.

A friend of ours saw himself on the other side of the street once, they both looked at each other and he swears blind it was him. He always thought one day he would be on the other side of the street for the reverse view, but sadly he died before that happened.

How interesting. (And my condolences for the loss of your friend).

Do you know how old the alternate version of him looked? I mean... did the other one appear to be him as he was then, or older? As it could have been a doppelganger?

Back