• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Body Oddities: Supernumerary / Extra Nipples; Polythelia

all (human) baby boys are able to produce semen in the first week of their lives but then can't again until puberty ..

Dunno about that but many newborn baby girls bleed slightly from the vagina.

It happens briefly in the first few days after birth, usually once, and is a natural effect of the female hormones passed through the placenta as it begins to separate.

(The same process that used to cause often fatal blood clotting in 'Rhesus' babies.)

I have seen this myself and had it explained to me by a reassuring midwife.

Dunno about that but many newborn baby girls bleed slightly from the vagina.

It happens briefly in the first few days after birth, usually once, and is a natural effect of the female hormones passed through the placenta as it begins to separate.

(The same process that used to cause often fatal blood clotting in 'Rhesus' babies.)

I have seen this myself and had it explained to me by a reassuring midwife.
Didn't know about the 'mini periods' thing with baby girls .. I'm not sure how to google 'baby boys ejaculating semen' thing without raising online peado alarm bells but you're probably in a better position to raise the question with experts than me at the moment because I don't work in health anymore.

Didn't know about the 'mini periods' thing with baby girls .. I'm not sure how to google 'baby boys ejaculating semen' thing without raising online peado alarm bells but you're probably in a better position to raise the question with experts than me at the moment because I don't work in health anymore.
as i've got nothing better to do this morning i've been (carefully!) googling this, and can find no casual references to it. theres a lot of 'top ten list of things you didn't know about your newborn' and none mention it.

as an aside i like the last line in this about hairy babies;
As it develops in the womb, a baby’s entire body becomes covered in a thin layer of hair called lanugo. Child development experts say that the hair helps regulate a body temperature in utero. So, if your baby is born looking like a werewolf-in-training, don’t worry: it’s perfectly normal. The hair will gently fall out on its own over the first few weeks of the newborn’s life. If your baby wasn’t born covered in lanugo, well, it already fell off toward the end of gestation, and the baby ate it.

I have no intention whatsoever of making such an enquiry!

If I did I could ask a midwife of my acquaintance. It sounds unlikely though.

A University of Adelaide anthropology team went to study Western Desert Aboriginal nomadic tribes in the 1930s and discovered a group in which IIRC about 30% of the women had a third nipple. These people had strict taboos against incest and were guaranteed a diverse genepool (at least in proportion to the small population that hot dry country could support) by their complex social system of marriage law and the arrangement of moieties and skin names. It was concluded thus it could not have been a product of inbreeding and the reason for the high incidence remained unresolved.
The link in the spoiler tag has a duck icon at the top left. click it to go back to a menu which will keep you fascinated for hours.
... or just open this.
The Flight of Ducks

Last edited:
Krusty_the_Clown.png

Krusty has a third nipple. So does Chandler on Friends.

I have a vague memory of reading in anthropology class that extra nipples are not totally uncommon, and tend to follow the same line down the abdomen as dog's set-up. And yes they certainly got people in trouble during witch hunts. Like vestigial tails and extra fingers - but those are routinely removed now in newborns.

Wasn't there a dancing girl in one of the ST films who was cat-like with the appropriate body parts?

A looong time ago i knew a girl who at first glance had 3 nipples, however, upon closer inspection (ahem) it was just a birth mark.

A friend -again from many years ago - swears blind that he had relations with a girl who was "fully formed" but had NO nipples?? i have no idea if this is possible? but like i said he swore it was true

A friend -again from many years ago - swears blind that he had relations with a girl who was "fully formed" but had NO nipples?? i have no idea if this is possible? but like i said he swore it was true
Inverted nipples?

no i dont think so? i havent seen him for about 16 yrs now so i cant elaborate more. However, i myself was in a relationship with a lady who had inverted nipples so am familiar with the condition, and he definitely said she had NO nipples

My sister lost both nipples through two bouts of breast cancer about 20 years ago. NHS weren't concerned, but fortunately there was a local medical charity in Ipswich that offered to have the nipples tattooed on the breasts to restore a little self esteem. First question Sis was asked was what colour were they ? (Check now everybody). No-one had taken photos before the nipples were removed - so presumably she and her husband consulted a Dulux paint colour chart.

Back