• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've spent all day feeling like a sh+t mother because it's my daughter's 18th birthday tomorrow, and I couldn't find the beautiful silver bracelet I had bought for her. It wasn't where I had hidden it. Spent the day, on-and-off, searching for it.

I think you'll kinda know what's coming next. Husband looked in the place I said I thought I had hidden it, and viola! There it is. Inside the Welsh dresser, where I've searched multiple times today.

Not cool, universe. Not cool.

At the care home where a relation lives you walk past the kitchens to the front door. They always seemed to be having curry on the hottest days, you could smell it cooking, which I thought was odd.

When I mentioned it to the chef (who is a mate) she told me it was the curry plants in the border. I did a sniff test and yup, it was the plants. Mystery solved!

I've since tried growing it with no success.

There is a plant that gives of a strong curry smell. We have one here. But it is a bush.

Were there any bushes in your area ?

INT21.
I used to have one in my garden by the kitchen door, and it was my first thought- but no sign if anything like this plant. This was a more a more "rounded" smell than the plant I used to have, like someone had made a proper curry, ground spices etc.

My curry plant was a slivery green with little yellow flowers on a long stalk, it liked the sun and the general dankness of my back garden did not really suit it.
This patch of field is quite shady and a bit damp most of the time, not a good habitat for the type of plant I had, but I am prepared to believe there is more than one type of curry scented plant out there.

Thanks for the link and info.

I do recall that mine really attracts wasps. However, I think the flowers are red.

When they come out I'll check; maybe take a close up picture.

INT21.

Just following up with minor strangeness with ovens, I have a part story (more weird things happened in a house I lived in for 3 years, but I haven't had time to relay the story yet).

I lived in a 12x24 ft one and three quarter story row house - one middle of four homes. I'm sure it was haunted by something or several somethings. The incidents happened between November to February each year with nothing weird in any other time of the year.

It was just myself and hubby who lived in it.

The electric oven was old and directly hardwired into the wall (no plug nor socket). It did not heat to the correct temp so we had a oven thermometer inside on the rack to avoid burning our food.

One evening we had put tv dinners in to cook and sat at the kitchen table chatting while waiting for our gourmet meals. So both of us were sitting in sight of the oven the whole time.

After about twenty minutes, I went to check on the food and saw that the oven dial hadn't been turned on. Of course I said to hubby "You idiot, you didn't turn the oven on."

I opened the oven and the thermometer read 120F. So the oven had to have been turned on at some point. Both of us were quite surprised! Neither of us had done anything in between putting the meals in and then checking to see if they were done.

*I changed the word "stove" to "oven" since it was the oven being used. I mix these terms up when speaking.

Last edited:
Is there any way the old and perhaps not up to code stove could have been receiving current without being technically turned on?
Did you ever have it inspected by an electrician to see if it was a potential instrument of doom and destruction?
Were there any other times it became unusually warmish?

I don't know how your stove was equipped, but ...

I recall some older stoves / ranges had a Pre-Heat function separate from the main heating function, and on some stoves these were given different controls. I suppose the closest analogy would be the distinct Defrost cycle on a microwave oven.

Could it be the controls were set for pre-heating, and the primary function was never set?

Is there any way the old and perhaps not up to code stove could have been receiving current without being technically turned on?
Did you ever have it inspected by an electrician to see if it was a potential instrument of doom and destruction?
Were there any other times it became unusually warmish?
Did not want an electrician to come in, since we had little funds to fix an old house and an electrician probably would have had to disconnect it as it certainly was not up to current code. The oven overcooked food which is why we'd placed the thermometer in the oven.

The thermometer never registered heat except when it was supposed to
The heating oddity never happened again. We lived there for three years and never had it happen again. We had a light switch in the basement that would turn on often after we'd turned it off. But as far as I remember, there were no other electrical anomalies.

I don't know how your stove was equipped, but ...

I recall some older stoves / ranges had a Pre-Heat function separate from the main heating function, and on some stoves these were given different controls. I suppose the closest analogy would be the distinct Defrost cycle on a microwave oven.

Could it be the controls were set for pre-heating, and the primary function was never set?
No, it didn't have a preheat setting. I can't remember exactly, but I think the oven just had a dial to turn on. It only happened once - we did only live there for 3 years, but at the time whatever was in the house was becoming bolder, such as louder noises and odd things occurring more often - and I was worried that it might turn on when no one was home and possibly cause a fire.

Get up this morning, usual thing, bathroom then on the way back put the breakfast on, then
into the bedroom picking up my watch on the way like I have near every day for the last 30 years,
only no watch, odd, get dressed look for watch, it is always on the dresser, there are two watches
a military one and the one I am looking for a big square stainless one with a stainless strap, sets
it's self via the radio time signal.
Check dresser again, nowhere for it to hide but I can not believe I did not put it there last night,
finish doing breakfast, check dresser yet again, check pockets in case I slipped it in there, yet again
the dresser checked the sitting room nothing, bloody odd, back to bed room still not on the bloody
dresser I then wondered if the wife had knocked it off the dresser when she put her clothes on
the unit next to it, no nothing, give up as I pass the dresser there it is but balanced on its edge
the watches edge that is more or less in the middle of the dresser, I have absolutely no idea
what append but something strange did.

Depends of course on the cubic capacity of the voila( !) and the welsh dresser.
A voila is the instrument that buskers play on the Paris metro when they don't have an accordion and a drum machine.
Viola! is used to announce amazing things, such a kitchen equipped with dress welshers and a built-in wash disher in the bedroom.
(Excusez moi de be deranged. I must need a European vacation. :headspinner: )

A voila is the instrument that buskers play on the Paris metro when they don't have an accordion and a drum machine.
Viola! is used to announce amazing things, such a kitchen equipped with dress welshers and a built-in wash disher in the bedroom.
(Excusez moi de be deranged. I must need a European vacation. :headspinner: )
I was being ironic :)

I've spent all day feeling like a sh+t mother because it's my daughter's 18th birthday tomorrow, and I couldn't find the beautiful silver bracelet I had bought for her. It wasn't where I had hidden it. Spent the day, on-and-off, searching for it.

I think you'll kinda know what's coming next. Husband looked in the place I said I thought I had hidden it, and viola! There it is. Inside the Welsh dresser, where I've searched multiple times today.

Not cool, universe. Not cool.

We have threads on this! Including a Welsh dresser story of mine -

A friend rang me in tears because she'd put some money away and couldn't find it.

I went over to hers, reached into a dresser drawer and pulled out the money. Mate was stunned.

My reasoning was when I came home from the bank I might put a wad of twenties in a drawer for safekeeping when I first got in and wanted to put the shopping away.

As I'm left-handed I'd've put the money in the left side of the left drawer and as she's right-handed she'd put it in the right side of the right drawer which is where I found it. Makes perfect sense.

However, she'd been searching for an hour and had turned both the dresser drawers out on the table at least twice and rifled through the contents and put them back after examination.

So how did she miss the money? How did she put it back without spotting it? How did it end up exactly where she'd have put it? And most of all, how did I know where it was?

She reckoned that if I'd been at her place before she rang me, she'd have suspected me of nicking and hiding the money as a prank. Something I'd never do.

Just a silly one. I had to stop for fuel, cos it's a company car I should give mileage readings but i forgot. The women at the till asked for it I said "just put 8123, I forgot to take it". I get back in the car and the mileage reading is 8123!!!
Any chance your like to guess at some lottery numbers when you get a sec???

I think I have posted before about one of my friends who tends to lose things.
Once she had been through her bag looking for her glasses and even turned the bag upside down and shook it.
I reached into her bag, felt the glasses and pulled them out.

I think I have posted before about one of my friends who tends to lose things.
Once she had been through her bag looking for her glasses and even turned the bag upside down and shook it.
I reached into her bag, felt the glasses and pulled them out.

OTOH I once tipped a rucksack out on a hostel bed in front of several other people and a condom fell out. My hard-won respectability was up in smoke on the spot.

They didn't believe the rucksack was second hand, bought off a former gap year traveller who'd obviously never got lucky...

OTOH I once tipped a rucksack out on a hostel bed in front of several other people and a condom fell out. My hard-won respectability was up in smoke on the spot.

They didn't believe the rucksack was second hand, bought off a former gap year traveller who'd obviously never got lucky...
Or of course he could have started off with a mega box of the things and got very lucky indeed.

Dont think I posted this at the time but a conversation yesterday reminded me of it.
Went to a funeral about 3 or so years back,
The service was taken by a lady Cannon, after the service we were invited back to a
pub about 8 miles from our village for a feed, when we were getting ready to leave
we were asked if we were going home and if so could we drop this lady Cannon off
as she lived near us, ok no problem, got in the car and though it started and ran like
normal 2 or 3 warning lights, engine management and such lit up, all went well stopped
outside her house she got out and the warning lights went off, connected a computer
but no fault registered and nothing has since, probably just one of those things but
strange at the time.

Back