• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Electronic Influences By Ghosts Perhaps

I converted the video to mp3 files but did not overlap them. I was hoping the visuals of the audio files would give a clue, but I'm not sophisticated enough to magnify the jaggy lines. Volume wise they are very soft so didn't have easily visible troughs and peaks. The files are attached. Don't know if they'll help, or if someone else can take the analysis (!!!) further than I could.

On first and subsequent listenings it's evident that the second sequence (at 1:36) is louder than the first. What it reminds me of is the noise of breath over the opening of an aluminum tube. In the olden days I used to play with the cat by making noises with the vacuum cleaner tube, and it made a sound like that (the tube, not the cat).

Attachments

• Spit Sprectral at 55.mp3
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Spit Sprectral at 1-36.mp3
    89 KB · Views: 21
Apropos Electronic Interference - my sister sent me a message late last night saying that Alexa had begun playing music in her upstairs bedroom. No-one had asked her to as there was no-one there. It happened late at night and she was spooked to have to climb the stairs alone and explore what the noises were. She's had Alexa troubles before, with it saying random things and doing random actions. Her first reaction is always "ghosts" and my reaction is always :roll:

I didn't respond to her message but was planning on calling her later today to take the p*ss. But then, a few moments ago, I walked passed a portable speaker I own (not a smart speaker, just a normal portable speaker) and it switched itself on. It made the "I'm on" pling-plong sound. I looked at it and the switch had physically moved from off to on. My son, sitting on the sofa at the time, looked at the speaker and just said "Woah!" I know the switch was in the off position because I happened to be looking at the speaker earlier as I was thinking about something else.

The speaker has sat on the side table, undisturbed and untouched for about 3 days. I have switched it off.

I know the switch was in the off position because I happened to be looking at the speaker earlier as I was thinking about something else.

We've also had equipment physically being switched off at All Saint's Church .. there's no logical explanation for that.

Last edited:
Aw, don't be cruel to @Sharon Hill , she's just direct, that's all. She's very knowledgeable, it's good to have people like that around. Besides, maybe she had just read the letter about her in the latest FT and was feeling defensive.
I just got my copy over here to see what you were talking about. He was the defensive one; it's an absurd rant.

I just got my copy over here to see what you were talking about. He was the defensive one; it's an absurd rant.
Not as absurd as buttons and switches being pressed into the off position with all other team members in view to account for.

I've had people to my left in an area after a machine has been physically switched on, I've stood and remained in the middle of that area so I've known nobody has returned to that machine to the right of that small area and the machine has switched itself off .. not just drained batteries because we were able to switch the machine back on after we noticed. I can furnish you with more details.

To cut a long story short, our equipment that we ground test first behaves in unusual ways at the location in question and I'm not dismissing off hand paranormal causes.

I've also been told that one of our team developed a nosebleed on the last invest, I'm told it's been caught on camera. I wasn't there and now I'll be researching how people can have non paranormal nosebleeds.

Last edited:
Not as absurd as buttons and switches being pressed into the off position with all other team members in view to account for.

I've had people to my left in an area after a machine has been physically switched on, I've stood and remained in the middle of that area so I've known nobody has returned to that machine to the right of that small area and the machine has switched itself off .. not just drained batteries because we were able to switch the machine back on after we noticed. I can furnish you with more details.

To cut a long story short, our equipment that we ground test first behaves in unusual ways at the location in question and I'm not dismissing off hand paranormal causes.

I've also been told that one of our team developed a nosebleed on the last invest, I'm told it's been caught on camera. I wasn't there and now I'll be researching how people can have non paranormal nosebleeds.

I know you don't want to reply to me Swifty regarding this topic, but I'd suggest testing other equipment. TBH if electronic equipment is being turned off I'd have focused my investigation on that.

Nose bleeds- I've mentioned it on the ghost hunters thread I reckon a good physical check would be in order to rule out hypotension, alcohol abuse etc...

I'll definitely be putting that jacket on in a small church or similar structure and try to recreate the sound that way, it's nylon with a polyester filling according to the label .. perhaps because I'm holding the camera and filming at eye level my elbow was rubbing against my waist? .. here's the vid, the 'breathing' sound can be heard at 0:55. I'll try and re find the video Eddie Mallet made of that night (it's on youtube but he has loads of videos up from the same location) that seemingly captures the same sound through his camera's microphone, again seemingly close to the mic, except he wears a thinner leather jacket .. this church is also close to a rail line .. I'm the person filming this clip. The thing that's impressed me is that I'm a skinny younger bloke, Eddie's a fatter older bloke, we wear different types of clothing yet his camera's mic when I wasn't standing anywhere close enough to him picked up the exact same sound at the same volume heard on playback.

I'll send him a pm today and ask him to send me a link to his specific vid of that same night that captured the sound then edit this post so all can listen, compare and critique ..

(0:55 and the same sound at 1:36 .. best listened to with headphones)

If anyone here has the technical ability to overlap and play 0:55 and 1:36 at the same time, I'd be very grateful because if they match exactly then that to me would suggest the sounds were coming from inside the camera itself ..

Whereabouts on the camera is the microphone positioned?

It can be very easy to pick up your own breathing and it can sound dead loud if the mic is close to your mouth relative to, well, everything else.

Will try and take a look at the audio later in the week, certainly can put the two bits together, would not expect though that looking at it at waveform level would give anything away.

Umm?.... I think we crossed the streams here. I was referring to what GNC was talking about. Different subject entirely.

Umm?.... I think we crossed the streams here. I was referring to what GNC was talking about. Different subject entirely.
I was talking about the overall approach and interpretation of and towards investigations into 'live on sight' alleged haunted locations (or more often, not) including electronic influences so leaning towards the suggested purpose of this thread Sharon.

Last edited:
Whereabouts on the camera is the microphone positioned?

It can be very easy to pick up your own breathing and it can sound dead loud if the mic is close to your mouth relative to, well, everything else.

Will try and take a look at the audio later in the week, certainly can put the two bits together, would not expect though that looking at it at waveform level would give anything away.
My camera/camcorder is a Panasonic HC-V520, the mic is positioned below the lens so that could cause me to pick up sounds from the camera itself .. and me breathing as I was holding the camera possibly .. one of our team members has a rifle mike for more omni directional sound pick up .. our other two cameras vary depending on the circumstances and if we want to hook up the single rifle mic we own so far which is a weakness possibly.

my camera:

But if we can feel emotion from other people in an empathetic way (crying when someone else is crying, feeling pain for those in pain etc), then why couldn't that emotion imprint itself somehow on a situation in a physical way? So someone suffering extreme high emotion in a location could - in a kind of 'stone tape' way - force emotion into the surroundings, to be picked up at a later date/time by someone with the correct 'receptive' equipment.

We have no idea how any of this works. Any suggestions could be as likely as any other.
I would hate to be living in the house I grew up in because the amount of times I had my heart completely broken there and the resulting outpouring of emotion will probably be haunting the crap out of the new residents!!

I would hate to be living in the house I grew up in because the amount of times I had my heart completely broken there and the resulting outpouring of emotion will probably be haunting the crap out of the new residents!!
I guess that's what they would call residual.

My camera/camcorder is a Panasonic HC-V520, the mic is positioned below the lens so that could cause me to pick up sounds from the camera itself .. and me breathing as I was holding the camera possibly .. one of our team members has a rifle mike for more omni directional sound pick up .. our other two cameras vary depending on the circumstances and if we want to hook up the single rifle mic we own so far which is a weakness possibly.

my camera:

The recording circuitry on the camera probably includes a vicious compressor/limiter which basically turns up the quietest sound & limits the loudest to produce a 'flatter' result.

If you're using it in a quiet environment with nothing much happening such as a ghost hunt, it will very likely magnify hugely whatever quiet sounds the mic pics up, such as clothes rustling, breath etc, making it sound different on playback to how it actually was on the night.

Could also be useful for picking up quiet ghostly voices of course.

The recording circuitry on the camera probably includes a vicious compressor/limiter which basically turns up the quietest sound & limits the loudest to produce a 'flatter' result.

If you're using it in a quiet environment with nothing much happening such as a ghost hunt, it will very likely magnify hugely whatever quiet sounds the mic pics up, such as clothes rustling, breath etc, making it sound different on playback to how it actually was on the night.

Could also be useful for picking up quiet ghostly voices of course.
Thanks hunk .. and now I also have to study vicious compressor/ limiter tech ! .. ;) .. the way it should be ..

Ok, here's the video with hugely boosted sound but no compression (which would change relative levels of volume).

Well it doesn't really tell us anything other than that we're not looking at a consistent repeat of the same sound, so probably not generated internally to the camera.

I’m not really sure what I’m listening to. It sounds like a microphone inside a cheap anorak that’s constantly brushing on the fabric or a zip is going up and down.
Even as a B Camera, I would use a 4k camera suited to low light (for still image screengrabs) and I have a Tascam DR-05 audio recorder on a hotshoe mount which, although not as good as a Zoom mic, at least gives decent stereo recording with the option of cutting out low or high noise frequencies.

Going into the situations with mediocre kit produces mediocre results that causes more issues than it resolves.

And here’s a thing. In all the entire history of movies being shot and TV programmes being made by professionals, how come there’s no conclusive ghost footage?
How is it that only amateurs with cheap cameras and bad audio kit get the goods?

And here’s a thing. In all the entire history of movies being shot and TV programmes being made by professionals, how come there’s no conclusive ghost footage?
How is it that only amateurs with cheap cameras and bad audio kit get the goods?
Pixelated Nightvision Videos Galore, on both ghost hunter TV shows and amateur ghost hunter videos on Youtube. Must be a budget thing.

I’m not really sure what I’m listening to. It sounds like a microphone inside a cheap anorak that’s constantly brushing on the fabric or a zip is going up and down.
Even as a B Camera, I would use a 4k camera suited to low light (for still image screengrabs) and I have a Tascam DR-05 audio recorder on a hotshoe mount which, although not as good as a Zoom mic, at least gives decent stereo recording with the option of cutting out low or high noise frequencies.

Going into the situations with mediocre kit produces mediocre results that causes more issues than it resolves.
The jacket I was wearing could create that sound in theory, yes .. it's something I've been trying to recreate but as OWB has joked, it sounds more like someone having a wank .. I was holding the camera at shoulder level which could have created the sound of my elbow rubbing against my waist due to the synthetic nature of the puffa jacket I was wearing ... I really need to now find the same sound recorded but by Eddie Mallet at the other end of the church .. except he was (and always is) wearing a leather jacket. The problem is, he just lets his camera roll continuously .. a more sensible approach to ghost invests except now I'm going to struggle to find the exact moment again. I'll pester him to re find the stuff he filmed including that sound so I can hopefully include it in this thread. His camera is a different make to mine.

Back