• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Didn't King write a more faithful TV version, which is shit?
Yes, it's on Amazon Prime. I gave it a try twice and gave up after 45 minutes. It just came over as a bland TV movie and I just couldn't get into it at all.

At least King has the good grace to accept he has a different opinion to a lot of people on Kubrick's Shining, and gave this sequel his blessing knowing they were going to merge the Kubrick with his follow-up novel. And he has said he loves what they did.

What I'm interested in is how - his book was a follow up to The Shining book, not the film, and doesn't take into account any of the changes Kubrick made. One crucial character didn't die in the source, and he's in the sequel book. Also, the Overlook has... a different fate in the book, that's reflected in King's Doctor Sleep. The only bit that made me wonder if King was making a nod to the film was when a ghost says "Great party, isn't it?!", which I don't remember from the first book, but I could be wrong. Anyone remember?

Really excited to see Dr Sleep. I didn't know it was being made into a film. Loved the book and a
I'm a big fan of Ewan MacGregor

Brightburn: We've had the evil Superman before in DC Comics, different iterations, sometimes other timelines. Kim newman wrote Ubermensch!, a story about Superman';s capsule landing in Germany and consequently being on the nazi side in WW2. That was a Superman being "evil" due to nurture. In Brightburn we have a Superboy, (never called that of course) Brandon (Jackson A. Dunn) who is raised in Brightburn Kansas by adoptive parents who found his spacecraft. All is going well until Brandon's twelfth birthday, suddenly he starts developing strange powers and if anyone annoys him they suffer.

A truly dark tale, a dialogue seems to take place within Brandon's mind, at times it is almost as if he is possessed the way he shakes in bed and levitates. Later he appears to be an incarnation of the more malign magneto as he hovers in the air and reigns destruction upon his foes (both real and imagined). A slight comic touch is his mask, it might be that of an anteater's snout or a fly's proboscis, maybe callhim Aardvarkboy. Some really horrifying scenes as he throws people around and literally dismembers them. There are a few flaws, in one scene a character, Caitlyn (Emmie Hunter) witnesses something extraordinary but then disappears from the narrative, not mentioned again while police search for her mother. It also takes Brandon's parents an inordinate time to notice/accept that there is anything odd about him.

A good twist on the traditional Superman narrative somewhat marred by holes in the narrative. Directed by David Yarovesky. 7.5/10.

Last edited:
At least King has the good grace to accept he has a different opinion to a lot of people on Kubrick's Shining, and gave this sequel his blessing knowing they were going to merge the Kubrick with his follow-up novel. And he has said he loves what they did.

What I'm interested in is how - his book was a follow up to The Shining book, not the film, and doesn't take into account any of the changes Kubrick made. One crucial character didn't die in the source, and he's in the sequel book. Also, the Overlook has... a different fate in the book, that's reflected in King's Doctor Sleep. The only bit that made me wonder if King was making a nod to the film was when a ghost says "Great party, isn't it?!", which I don't remember from the first book, but I could be wrong. Anyone remember?
It's years since I read the Shining and though Doctor Sleep followed on well. It's a while since I read Doctor Sleep also, but I took the "Great party, isn't it?" line as a nod to the film, and the endings are quite different.

I know nothing at all about this, but I'm paying attention. In production now.

9jfain3sfj531.jpg

“The film follows a gang of cowboys and a mysterious woman who seek shelter in a seemingly uninhabited ghost town after a disastrous train robbery. Seeking help for their wounded leader they are surprised to stumble upon a welcoming brothel in the town’s square but soon discover that the town is home to a coven of witches and blood-thirsty wolves.”

Brief Article:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3563838/aaron-b-koontz-directing-horror-western-pale-door/

The Banana Splits are back - in a horror movie!
The Banana Splits Movie trailer is here to creep you out
These aren't the Hanna-Barbera characters you remember. Mainly because they never killed anyone. That we know of.
TRAILER
Kirsten Howard
Jun 14, 2019
banana-splits-movie-trailer.jpg

While we sit and twiddle our thumbs waiting for a Five Nights At Freddy'smovie, Syfy's Banana Splits Movie will seemingly go some way to keeping us sated for a bit.
Gore is not the first thing you tend to think of when reminiscing about the beloved live-action Hanna-Barbera series, but Fleegle the Beagle, Bingo the Gorilla, Drooper the Lion, and Snorky the Elephant are coming back in a rather more violent capacity to dish out some bloody vengeance in The Banana Splits Movie.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/banana-splits/65895/the-banana-splits-movie-trailer

Is this for real? I love the trailer. I used to watch them as a kid lol

Brightburn - Superman comes to Earth, only when he hits his teens it becomes apparent that he's a megolamaniac psychopath/parasitic cuckoo that sends its species to other planets to take over. I thought it was fine, it more or less plays the way way you're expecting once the tone becomes established and I can't say I particularly cared about any of the characters. Some genuinely horrible gore moments but they are used sparingly.

La, la-la-la-la
La, la-la-la-la
Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la
Tra-la-la, la-la-la-la

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Comin' on to bring you the banana splits show
Makin' up a mess of fun
Makin' up a mess of fun
Lots of fun for everyone

"Size of a..."

Course, I'm too young to remember all this, heard it from my parents etc*...

* Not necessarily true.

I know nothing at all about this, but I'm paying attention. In production now.

View attachment 18223

“The film follows a gang of cowboys and a mysterious woman who seek shelter in a seemingly uninhabited ghost town after a disastrous train robbery. Seeking help for their wounded leader they are surprised to stumble upon a welcoming brothel in the town’s square but soon discover that the town is home to a coven of witches and blood-thirsty wolves.”

Brief Article:
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3563838/aaron-b-koontz-directing-horror-western-pale-door/
Tasty.

Child's Play: Chucky for millenials. The Kaslan Corporation has just launched Buddi: a high-tech doll which can connect to the Cloud, control the internet of things in your house, become your digital assistant and it can also also imprint on a child, becoming their BFF, entertaining them, even tutoring them. What could possibly go wrong? We see some real life horror as an exploited worker in the Asian sweatshop factory which manufactures Buddi is beaten by his boss, he takes revenge by removing a Buddi doll's safety protocols. This Buddi is returned as malfunctioning and Z-Mart clerk Karen (Aubrey Plaza) secures it gratis for her son Andy (Gabriel Bateman). Andy bonds with the Buddi who names himself Chucky ( voiced by Mark Hamill) and the fun begins.

Chucky tends to take statements uttered by Andy as instructions and soon comes into conflict with Rooney the cat and Karen's beer-swilling loser boyfriend Shane (David Lewis). The danger signals are perhaps missed as Andy and his friends use Chucky to play pranks on people. Things start to take a dark turn but the shadows are leavened by the streak of humour which runs through the film: even as a scalp is ripped off it lands on a garden gnomes head. Chucky also learns from horror films and loses no time in imitating hillbilly serial killers. The lighting by cinematographer Brendan Uegama adds to the creepiness, eerie green light outdoors at night, bright rays shining through extractor fan vents partially illuminating darkened interiors. Falyn (Beatrice Kitsos) is outstanding as Andy's friend as she uses a chainsaw to ward off the devil doll.

Plenty of gore and certainly nor for the squeamish,also the pacing is a bit off at times but director Lars Klevberg has delivered an enjoyable horror film with elements of humour and satire. 7/10.

Dead Daughters - a breakthrough Russian horror movie from 2007.
Dead daughters poster.jpg

Three spectral daughters, who had been murdered by their mother, take their revenge on mortals by killing anyone they suspect of being sinners. A group of five urban twenty-somethings cross them and have three days in which to be `good` - or they're for it.

Fast-paced, quite original, stylish and wryly funny in parts. Here it all is with subtitles:

Recent article from The Guardian on Don't Look Now,

Don't Look Now review – Roeg's scary movie can still make you jump
Peter Bradshaw
Fri 5 Jul 2019 11.00 BST
From its red stalker to its eerie strangers, this suspenseful classic set a template for horror – but its sexual intimacy adds a dramatic counterpoint few films can match

This week sees the restored rerelease of Nicolas Roeg’s eerie masterpiece Don’t Look Now from 1973, adapted by Allan Scott and Chris Bryant from the short story by Daphne du Maurier. It’s a film that apart from everything else popularised the classic scary-movie template: start off with a family tragedy, follow it with an apparently therapeutic retreat or escape, an illusory easing of the sadness burden, then pivot to a horror nightmare, in such a way that the grotesque denouement appears to flower as a mysteriously logical escalation of that initial heartbreak. It’s a form taken up by Lars von Trier’s Antichrist and, this week, by Ari Aster’s Midsommar.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-roeg-horror-julie-christie-donald-sutherland

"The Monster" interesting Netflix creature feature with a mother daughter subplot twist. Suspenseful with good but not over done special effects. I've to those weird goings on in the southwest desert movies. Something about the western wastelands lends itself to a good horror movie (IMO).

Boar. A movie so bad its crap. Then goes down hill in the last few minutes. The most terrifying thing in the movie is the script, i expect the actors where happy to throw themselves into the jaws of the giant animatronic boar as its stood menacingly still.

Boar. A movie so bad its crap. Then goes down hill in the last few minutes. The most terrifying thing in the movie is the script, i expect the actors where happy to throw themselves into the jaws of the giant animatronic boar as its stood menacingly still.

It's a living.

I like the look of that!

Reactions: Jim
Back