• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

Like, trying to pass it off as food?

Mrs Floyd is a vegan (which is taking things a step too far in my opinion) and I'm pescatarian and there are some very realistic 'fake' meats out there but I have found that even though at first they often do taste very authentic (in some cases), especially if you've stopped eating meat for only a year or so, after a few times they don't taste as quite as genuine.

As for eating out, it depends how 'strict' you are with yourself. I couldn't do it as I wouldn't trust the person who has prepared it to have not cross-contaminated anything. I could perhaps do it if it was a small establishment and ALL the staff were also dedicated v/v/p, but not at somewhere that also serves meat as well- (and certainly not pork).

But, if you are v/v/p, should you really be wanting to replicate the taste of meat anyway?

I just looked up Pescatarian, seems like i am an ovo lactose one, cause i eat fish and eggs wtf, im a veggie, screw the added words

ive been vagatarian since 96 ... never liked meat, mainly the texture ... seems like there are several plant-based meat free vegan beef jerkies out there ...

Quorn mince is very similar to meat in terms of flavour and texture. My wife is veggie and I used to make two spag bol. Tasted hers and couldn't tell the difference so I always and only do veggie spag bol now.

I thought that until I had a meat spag bol a few years ago, I pretty much only have that dish at my parents, my sister is veggie and mother isn't too keen on most meat, so we've made quorn spag bol for years. I actually prefer quorn in that case, despite being a meat eater. I almost always prefer quorn sausages to meat ones as well.

I thought that until I had a meat spag bol a few years ago, I pretty much only have that dish at my parents, my sister is veggie and mother isn't too keen on most meat, so we've made quorn spag bol for years. I actually prefer quorn in that case, despite being a meat eater. I almost always prefer quorn sausages to meat ones as well.
I don’t care for quorn burgers, not much experience of the sausages.

Tried Quorn a few years back, it was vile, but things improve,
maybe it's time for another try, seen some Quorn sausages
in the local CoOp may give them a go.

I don’t care for quorn burgers, not much experience of the sausages.

I've not had a quorn burger in years, was never much of a fan. The "beef" ones were a bit grim, the "chicken" ones were OK from memory. The chicken pieces are OK, still often eat those as you can put them in a stir fry from frozen, which is handy if you've forgotten to defrost meat. There's not much of a taste but mixed in with other things and sauce they're nice.

Tried Quorn a few years back, it was vile, but things improve,
maybe it's time for another try, seen some Quorn sausages
in the local CoOp may give them a go.

Those things are variable I think, the smaller pieces are generally better. That said, had a quorn "roast" that tasted a lot like turkey last Christmas. It was the most convincing "fake meat" that I've had.

Back