• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

What about the Milky Way in the blackness of night, eh? And all those twinkly white specks all over? And the Big Dipper to stir it up with, what's all that if not the giant coffee cup of the omnipresent omnipotent being?
Velvety blackness with milk and sugar is a divine beverage.

I don't have any issue with disappearing/reappearing teaspoons but I DO have major problems with my panties vanishing! It's seriously puzzling me because I just don't have any logical explanation for where they disappear to? I don't hang them outside on the washing line so, I know it's definitely not a knicker thief. They aren't clogging up inside the washing machine itself because the amount of pairs that go missing is 15+ up to now in roughly a 6month period?!? I'm curious to see if anybody else has an underwear issue?

I don't have any issue with disappearing/reappearing teaspoons but I DO have major problems with my panties vanishing! It's seriously puzzling me because I just don't have any logical explanation for where they disappear to? I don't hang them outside on the washing line so, I know it's definitely not a knicker thief. They aren't clogging up inside the washing machine itself because the amount of pairs that go missing is 15+ up to now in roughly a 6month period?!? I'm curious to see if anybody else has an underwear issue?

Ahhhh, I know this one. Small items of laundry attach themselves to bigger ones in the dryer. Your missing drawers're stuck to your spare bedding all neatly folded up in the wardrobe.

Far be it from me to pry into a lady's underwear, but if said items are what Mrs Coal is pleased to describe to the Coalettes as 'nearly nickers', they can be wadded into an egg-cup and still leave space for the egg. So what Escargot said and also, inside socks, pillowcases etc...

Far be it from me to pry into a lady's underwear, but if said items are what Mrs Coal is pleased to describe to the Coalettes as 'nearly nickers', they can be wadded into an egg-cup and still leave space for the egg. So what Escargot said and also, inside socks, pillowcases etc...

Yup, a lady can easily test this by kindly doing a spot of washing for a friend; whereupon her pants will prostrate themselves all over the inside of the visiting duvet cover, ready to appear when said friend replaces it on their bed.

I totally stopped the vanishing undies/socks malarkey by using little washing bags. You loosely pack your smaller items in one and lob it all in the washer, and can leave it all together in the dryer or take things out to dry separately.

My first ones came from the Pound Shop and were a total revelation. Since then I've made my own and even used packaging from sports equipment. As long as water goes through the fabric easily it's good.

You can now even get washing bags specially for bras! They are brilliant too. No tangling or lost bones*.

*Also, you can get separate bra accessories. Straps, back extensions, and replacement bones with that little bump at each end that you used to get in bras which stopped the bones penetrating the fabric and impaling your armpit.

Thanks for all suggestions but, it's only my knickers that disappear! My other half's and young son's underwear goes nowhere!! They aren't inside other clothing items nor inside duvets! I am currently of the opinion that they have been sucked into an alternate dimension or are being studied by aliens for some nefarious purpose! They aren't flimsy knickers either, nor are they neck warmers, they are just typical examples of knickers!

Last edited:
I reckon escargot has the answer & the solution - where can they possibly go to? At the rate of 15+ in about 6 months that's less than 1 pair a week missing. Maybe not enough to notice at the time.

How about counting them in then out afterwards. If one missing carry out a forensic examination of the load.

Keep us posted.

What about the Milky Way in the blackness of night, eh? And all those twinkly white specks all over? And the Big Dipper to stir it up with, what's all that if not the giant coffee cup of the omnipresent omnipotent being?
Velvety blackness with milk and sugar is a divine beverage.
Weird cluster f**k coincidence IbisNibs, I was listening to this only last night and posted it in the music thread

I reckon escargot has the answer & the solution - where can they possibly go to? At the rate of 15+ in about 6 months that's less than 1 pair a week missing. Maybe not enough to notice at the time.

How about counting them in then out afterwards. If one missing carry out a forensic examination of the load.

Keep us posted.
I think I'll just stop wearing underwear! That'll fool them ha!
(I now have my deceased Nanna's voice in my head saying "but what if you get run over!-". )

Inside the washing machine drum. Honestly, next time you get rid of a washing machine, take it to pieces. Under the drum and between the drum and the filter there's a sludge of fabric, knickers and socks, that have been forced between the drum and the rubber seal by the spinning action.

I didn't believe it at first - I rarely lose knickers because I wear such enormous pants that no seal exists that is loose enough to allow them to penetrate, but socks go missing all the time. When we took my last machine to pieces, the missing socks had been reduced to a nylon paste that was stuck all over the innards.

Inside the washing machine drum. Honestly, next time you get rid of a washing machine, take it to pieces. Under the drum and between the drum and the filter there's a sludge of fabric, knickers and socks, that have been forced between the drum and the rubber seal by the spinning action.

I didn't believe it at first - I rarely lose knickers because I wear such enormous pants that no seal exists that is loose enough to allow them to penetrate, but socks go missing all the time. When we took my last machine to pieces, the missing socks had been reduced to a nylon paste that was stuck all over the innards.

Another good reason for the washing bags! I've also had washing machines stopped by blocked pumps, usually by coins or bra bones. There's a wheel with fins that spins round. If it's jammed the machine will flood.

When you buy a new machine it's a good idea to locate the pump and how to access it, and to inspect it now and then. In fact I'd be more likely to choose a machine with an easily accessible pump over one with it hidden away. Saves a fortune, along with taking off the cover and marking the exact placing of the timing belt for when you have to replace it.

Not being a troublemaker, I will follow suit and liberate my behind from the prison that is my knickers! (Calling them panties always strikes me as being suggestively naughty!).

They'll be made of fabrics with a high proportion of artificial fibres, loads of static. Prostrated over the bedding.
Omg! What if they have been statically stuck to the back of whatever it is I'm wearing and I've not noticed? Oh the absolute horror!

Another good reason for the washing bags! I've also had washing machines stopped by blocked pumps, usually by coins or bra bones. There's a wheel with fins that spins round. If it's jammed the machine will flood.

When you buy a new machine it's a good idea to locate the pump and how to access it, and to inspect it now and then. In fact I'd be more likely to choose a machine with an easily accessible pump over one with it hidden away. Saves a fortune, along with taking off the cover and marking the exact placing of the timing belt for when you have to replace it.

All my old machines, you could empty the filter out (there would often be bits of fabric etc stuck in it). The couple of newer machines I've had have been ridiculous - to drain the filter out of the new one you have to lie on the floor to get the cover unscrewed, there's no real 'filter' as such either and you can't put ANYTHING underneath it to catch the water when it drains because it's too close to the floor.

Washing machine designers and vacuum cleaner people - first against the wall when the revolution (which must be at least 900rpm) comes.

Washing machine designers and vacuum cleaner people - first against the wall when the revolution (which must be at least 900rpm) comes.

I'm with you there 100%

They only started designing them that way because too many people were making the old ones last longer by fixing them up themselves so they had to start building in a bit more obsolescence to keep sales up.

I've lost count of the number of fridges and assorted other electrical appliances I've got through, whereas my mums fridge, that she bought in the fifties, was still going strong when she sold it for good money when she moved to her sheltered accomodation. It had kept going for half a century and for all I know it's still purring away!

Sollywos x

As regards disappearing knickers, a friend of mine got a new puppy that was always 'nicking' hers. We could sort of understand why it might snoop out the ones in the dirty linen bin but getting the clean ones out of the basket? I can't remember whether it was a dog or a bitch which may or may not be relevant lol!

Sollywos x

Back