• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Man lives after bear breaks his spine and keeps him as food inside den
By The Siberian Times reporter
26 June 2019

Alexander described as a ‘speaking mummy’ found by hunting dogs close to death after a month. UPDATED!

WARNING STRONG IMAGES!

The emaciated man from Russia’s remote Republic of Tuva was preserved as ‘tin-can’ food to eat later by a brown bear, say local reports in the region.

A group of local hunters found Alexander after their dogs refused to leave the area of the den.

Their persistent barking pushed the hunters to check inside the lair, where they found a barely-alive man. He was rushed to the local hospital and has been diagnosed with a broken spine and severe emaciation.

Alexander remembers his first name but not his age, and was reportedly in the den for around one month, drinking urine to survive.

He is now in the intenstive care with multiple injuries and rotting skin.

He can move his arms, local hospital doctors said.

st2.jpg

http://siberiantimes.com/other/othe...s-his-spine-and-keeps-him-as-food-inside-den/

In a bad way, wow. Hope he pulls through.
I was scrolling upwards and had to stop before viewing the whole picture. Yeah, man, I hope he recovers fully, physically and psychologically.

The kept as bear food story which always sounded dubious to say the least - there's not much meat on the guy, is very likely untrue.

Snopes take on it.

Before this video made it to the British tabloids, it circulated on Russian messaging apps with equally outlandish, unbelievable stories. The website Kaotic (which we won’t link to due to its NSFW content) published the video claiming that it showed “an old man … on a gurney waiting for treatment from a terrible skin condition.” The video was also shared as if it showed a man who had been buried alive, only to escape after a local cemetery was flooded by heavy rains.
Speculation that he

may have been abusing a drug such as Krokodil, which can cause “extreme skin ulcerations, infections, and gangrene.” Others suggested that this video may feature some sort of zombie movie prop.
Although he seems to speak a couple of words.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-48824181

Scientists 'speechless' at Arctic fox's epic trek
A young Arctic fox has walked across the ice from Norway's Svalbard islands to northern Canada in an epic journey, covering 3,506 km (2,176 miles) in 76 days.
"The fox's journey has left scientists speechless," according to Greenland's Sermitsiaq newspaper.
Researchers at Norway's Polar Institute fitted the young female with a GPS tracking device and freed her into the wild in late March last year on the east coast of Spitsbergen, the Svalbard archipelago's main island.
The fox was under a year old when she set off west in search of food, reaching Greenland just 21 days later - a journey of 1,512 km - before trudging forward on the second leg of her trek.
She was tracked to Canada's Ellesmere Island, nearly 2,000 km further, just 76 days after leaving Svalbard.

Another bear attack story, this one from remote Northern Russia. The link comes via metro.co.uk. which makes it all the more believeable.

‘I bit off its tongue – it was in my mouth’: the man who survived a bear attack

Bozhe moi! (“Oh my God!” in Russian.)
“I opened my eyes and saw his huge jaws,” he told Russian reporters. “Instinctively, I clenched my teeth.” But then the bear roared and ran away.

Why? Irgit wasn’t sure. “I felt terrible pain,” he said. “At first I thought those were my lips in my mouth. Then I spat out – and realised it was a tongue. I thought at first it was my tongue.”

But it wasn’t? No. “Shaking, I started saying something to check my voice, and it seemed OK. And then I realised that it was the bear’s tongue. I had bitten off the bear’s tongue and it was in my mouth. I noticed straight away that the tongue was white.”
I can just about accept he bit the tip off the bear's tongue, which would be bloody painful for it, but not that he bit most of the tongue off, which the story implies.

Not the usual outcome of kissing a bear. Depending on the bear.

Turtle halts Jetstar flight take-off at Gold Coast

A troublesome turtle has brought a passenger plane to a grinding halt after it decided to catch some rays at the Gold Coast Airport.

Jetstar first officer James Fuller was forced to pull up his Airbus A320 when he spotted the critter enjoying a sunbaking session on the side of the tarmac on Thursday.

The plane had been taxiing towards its take-off point when Mr Fuller and Captain Nigel Waccura realised the lump they'd spotted off the right wing was actually alive.

They quickly pulled up and applied the park brake before informing passengers that the lazy reptile was holding up their travel plans.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...t-take-off-at-gold-coast-20190705-p524ex.html

Giant Barrel Jellyfish off Cornish Coast

Divers stayed close to giant animal for an hour before it swam away

“I’ve never seen one that big,” said Lizzie Daly, a biologist who saw the creature near Falmouth. “We had seen a few smaller jellyfish at a beautiful reef nearby, and then out of the murk came this huge, beautiful jelly fish. You just take a double look and ask yourself if it’s actually a metre and a half long.”

“It has got a very mild sting and poses no threat to humans – some people don’t even feel it,” Daly said. “Many people would be immediately worried, but it is not dangerous. Its a majestic creature.”

However, she said her response may have differed if it was a Portuguese man o’ war, which carries a potentially deadly sting.

Dr Michele Kiernan from the Marine Biological Association in Plymouth said little was known about the lifestyles of barrel jellyfish, including where their young live, and that their movements were at the mercy of winds and currents.

“As we’ve had a long spell of no rain in the south-west, people can see them more easily because of the clarity in the water,” she said.
Short video at link.

This will cause apoplexy in some.

Bears and wolves to coexist in UK woods for first time in 1,000 years

Not only bears & wolves, but lynxes & wolverines.

European brown bears, thought to have become extinct in the British wilds in medieval times, and grey wolves – which roamed free until the 17th century – are to coexist in a project called Bear Wood near Bristol.

The idea of the scheme – which is part of Bristol Zoological Society’s Wild Place Project – is to give visitors a glimpse into life in the woods and forests that used to cover much of the UK.

It is also intended to initiate a debate about rewilding schemes, which could reintroduce animals such as lynxes – and perhaps wolves and bears.

From Thursday 25 July, members of the public will be able to observe bears, wolves, lynxes and wolverines from the safety of a raised walkway as the animals pad and prowl around a large wooded paddock.

For the moment, the four species are being kept apart but the idea is that within weeks or months the four bears and five wolves will be allowed to share one 10,000 sq metre (12,000 sq yard) paddock.

Over recent weeks the bears have been getting accustomed to the woodland. From Wednesday the wolves will be brought into an adjoining paddock.

It will then be up to the animal keepers to decide when to allow the wolves in with the bears. “The keepers want to be sure the bears are settled,” said Morris. “We’re keen to do it as soon as they can but will wait until the animal team are confident they are ready.

“They should be fine. These animals would coexist in the wild. This is their habitat. You see the bears up the trees and realise how perfectly evolved they are to live here.”

Another fascinating aspect to observe will be how the woodland and its current inhabitants, such as hedgehogs and birds, will react to the presence of bears and wolves. The animals will be fed by their keepers but the bears are bound to forage for leaves and berries.

Morris said he hoped it would further the debate on rewilding. “I’m keen that we as a conservation charity proactively engage with questions such as climate change and rewilding. I really hope this exhibit gives us that opportunity to do that.”

He also said the project put the ancient British woodlands, which now only cover 2% of the country, centre stage, as they are often overlooked when zoos concentrate on more exotic locations such as the African savannah. The Wild Project also includes animals from Madagascar and Cameroon.

“We’re giving British ancient woodland the same status as those habitats,” Morris said.

How much interaction is there naturally between these species?

I know that 'co-exist' is just a factual term, but it conjures up images of a cozy co-habitation in a shared cave.

View attachment 18921

Which in turn reminds me of 'Pablo Escobear':

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/03/14/cocaine-bear/

I don't suppose they snuggle up together. This is where we find the wolverine is the apex predator of the lot & mercilessly kills off the bears, wolves & lynx, escapes into the countryside & starts causing havoc.

Thanks for the cocaine bear story. That's a good one.

It's Hull, FFS: a town which makes Cromer look like Esher. The kid's mum has probably been seeing bats since the last bad batch of sulphate hit Sgt. Pepper's.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back