• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is This Coincidence, Fate... Or Something Else?

Ulalume, after reading this thread I went back and re-read the twitter feed you referenced in the "Unhappy houses and odd happenings" thread.

I would like to ask if you've had any similar experiences of, shall we say, hyper-sensitivity, but not connected with anything so, erm... gothic?

Ulalume, after reading this thread I went back and re-read the twitter feed you referenced in the "Unhappy houses and odd happenings" thread.

I would like to ask if you've had any similar experiences of, shall we say, hyper-sensitivity, but not connected with anything so, erm... gothic?

Hyper-sensitivity in what way, can you specify? This sort of "awareness" (if you want to call it that) tends to run in my family, though I've known a few unrelated people who were the same way.

Hyper-sensitivity in what way, can you specify? This sort of "awareness" (if you want to call it that) tends to run in my family, though I've known a few unrelated people who were the same way.

Well, both the twitter feed account and the intense dreams seem to be linked to violent deaths.

Have you had any similar "awareness" (good word) connected to more ordinary events?

Well, both the twitter feed account and the intense dreams seem to be linked to violent deaths.

Have you had any similar "awareness" (good word) connected to more ordinary events?

Yes, it's what I jokingly (but fondly) refer to as my "weirdness."

My weirdness is spread all across these forums, but if you want a more concise version, I've written some things about it on my blog. Well, essentially the whole blog is about my weirdness, but these two posts will probably suffice.

https://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/2016/02/strange-days.html

https://victoriaphantasmagoria.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-mysteries-of-fate-and-other.html

I also read this thread a few years ago before I joined.

Ulalume, the account you gave of your nightmare is one of the most intense and well articulated descriptions of a nightmare I have ever read or heard of. Whatever its source, I'm happy that this nightmare helped you, so you could distance yourself from a person or people who apparently were very dangerous, despite their friendly and trustworthy appearance. I hope that the fact that the thread has been bumped again doesn't mean that you are experiencing weird synchronicities from the nightmare again!

I also really appreciated the thoughtful and sensitive feedback and questions from the forum members.
I was so tempted to ask for an update and bump it myself—thank you Zebra!
If you, (or anyone reading this), has a spare moment would you mind explaining what "bumping" is because I've read it on various posts/sites but haven't a clue what it actually means? Thanks

If you, (or anyone reading this), has a spare moment would you mind explaining what "bumping" is because I've read it on various posts/sites but haven't a clue what it actually means? Thanks

On a web forum like this one, or any other message hub where postings are listed in chronological order with newest items first ...

To 'bump' means to post to an older item so as to push ('bump') it to the top or front of the chronological listing.

On a web forum like this one, or any other message hub where postings are listed in chronological order with newest items first ...

To 'bump' means to post to an older item so as to push ('bump') it to the top or front of the chronological listing.
Thanks EnolaGaia ☺, I think I understand. It's like some questions on this forum appear to be pretty old but rather than getting archived/shelved, when members comment on it now it brings it to life again.(so to speak) and it becomes current again?

Thanks EnolaGaia ☺, I think I understand. It's like some questions on this forum appear to be pretty old but rather than getting archived/shelved, when members comment on it now it brings it to life again.(so to speak) and it becomes current again?

Yes, exactly ... Posting anew to an older item that's "sunk" lower in the listing(s) moves it back into the current spotlight at the top / front of the listing.

Yes, exactly ... Posting anew to an older item that's "sunk" lower in the listing(s) moves it back into the current spotlight at the top / front of the listing.
Really appreciate your explanation and will no longer feel mystified whenever I come across it!

Holy crap, Ulalume! That is a creepy story with creepy tendrils creeping off in creepy directions. We have far too many seriously messed up "religions" in this country.

Your description of the "facsimile" character is intriguing. I've known a few people who didn't seem to project much in the way of personality, but only one encounter sticks out in my mind where there was definitely something very wrong with the person. It freaked me out but good. Many years ago, I was working with a young fellow who came from a family deeply involved with a cultish splinter religion. I'll call him Joe. His parents were way 'round the bend on their religious path and were known to be pretty well nuts. Joe had an older brother he looked up to and admired, so I heard a lot about him at work.

One day, I had to stop by and pick Joe up for some reason. We may have been working on a Saturday or whatever. I walked up to the house and rang the bell. Older brother came to the door. I had never met him. He was pleasant enough, and polite, but I had a sudden and very strong impulse to run. It was very confusing. I can't imagine coming face to face with a vampire or some other kind of imaginary ghoul come to life being any more jarring. I stammered out something about being there to get Joe, and The Count informed me, again politely, that Joe was not there. I said okay thanks and got the hell out of there. The guy was not odd looking in any way, didn't act weird, but being in his presence made my skin crawl.

Years later, The Count gained his fifteen minutes of fame by declaring himself an important religious figure, much like some of the dingbats who turn up here with nutty prophecies and ludicrous claims. Some people reading this will no doubt have even heard of him. I'm being very vague because "Joe" is a really good guy, especially considering his background. There is little chance of my causing him trouble by describing his badly warped brother in more detail, but he has suffered enough embarrassment about it and I don't want to take even that small chance of being the one to cause him more. Too bad, because it is a truly whacked story.

Holy crap, Ulalume! That is a creepy story with creepy tendrils creeping off in creepy directions. We have far too many seriously messed up "religions" in this country.

Your description of the "facsimile" character is intriguing. I've known a few people who didn't seem to project much in the way of personality, but only one encounter sticks out in my mind where there was definitely something very wrong with the person. It freaked me out but good. Many years ago, I was working with a young fellow who came from a family deeply involved with a cultish splinter religion. I'll call him Joe. His parents were way 'round the bend on their religious path and were known to be pretty well nuts. Joe had an older brother he looked up to and admired, so I heard a lot about him at work.

One day, I had to stop by and pick Joe up for some reason. We may have been working on a Saturday or whatever. I walked up to the house and rang the bell. Older brother came to the door. I had never met him. He was pleasant enough, and polite, but I had a sudden and very strong impulse to run. It was very confusing. I can't imagine coming face to face with a vampire or some other kind of imaginary ghoul come to life being any more jarring. I stammered out something about being there to get Joe, and The Count informed me, again politely, that Joe was not there. I said okay thanks and got the hell out of there. The guy was not odd looking in any way, didn't act weird, but being in his presence made my skin crawl.

Years later, The Count gained his fifteen minutes of fame by declaring himself an important religious figure, much like some of the dingbats who turn up here with nutty prophecies and ludicrous claims. Some people reading this will no doubt have even heard of him. I'm being very vague because "Joe" is a really good guy, especially considering his background. There is little chance of my causing him trouble by describing his badly warped brother in more detail, but he has suffered enough embarrassment about it and I don't want to take even that small chance of being the one to cause him more. Too bad, because it is a truly whacked story.

Eek, Austin Popper, that's spooky!

You know, I've never given much credence to the existence of demons or "spirit attachments" or what have you, but your visceral response to that guy (and mine, in my case) makes me think that something is wrong on the level of the soul, beyond an intellectual or emotional problem. Something spiritually wrong.

Even a typical sociopath doesn't necessarily seem all that strange upon meeting them - only occasionally are there the ones who create this visceral sort of fear in people just upon meeting them.

It makes me wonder what's really going on there.

Some 'boards discourage bumping but we LOVE it so bump away.

Here's a helpful smiley -
:bump:

Have a good rummage around the old threads and if something catches your eye feel free to comment.

Can remember that song being on t'wireless every days for yonks and thinking what a prat the Indian doctor sounded, unlike real Indian people.

I'd often been attended to by Indian doctors (and Caribbean nurses, incidentally) and found them highly intelligent and dignified, and they'd been kind to me and made me better. The song seemed like an insult to them.

Can remember that song being on t'wireless every days for yonks and thinking what a prat the Indian doctor sounded, unlike real Indian people.

I'd often been attended to by Indian doctors (and Caribbean nurses, incidentally) and found them highly intelligent and dignified, and they'd been kind to me and made me better. The song seemed like an insult to them.
It's a bumpity-bumpity bump-bump-bump song, fer cryin' out loud!

Bangers and Mash was always a better Sellers and Loren song. That said, The Party was a huge movie in India for decades, they loved that he played an Indian. Not sure what their younger generation think of it now! Might not even have heard of it.

Bangers and Mash was always a better Sellers and Loren song. That said, The Party was a huge movie in India for decades, they loved that he played an Indian. Not sure what their younger generation think of it now! Might not even have heard of it.

'Birdie num nums!' I can't forget that scene!

Last edited:
I have a customer I serve in the shop from time to time. I used to dread serving him as his responses were 'off', until it occurred to me that he was probably ASD, ( subsequent interactions seem to bear this out).

My brain is reacting to his (lack of) body language and trying desperately to interpret what's going on, when it's as simple as the poor bloke not giving off what I perceive as the 'right' signals.

I now serve him differently (no eye contact, minimal conversation), which seems to help him, and I can only admire him for managing what must be a frightening experience for him so efficiently. But is it possible that some of these 'hollow people' might suffer from similar conditions, and have shut down all reactions to an extent that neurotypical people can't comprehend?

I have a customer I serve in the shop from time to time. I used to dread serving him as his responses were 'off', until it occurred to me that he was probably ASD, ( subsequent interactions seem to bear this out).

My brain is reacting to his (lack of) body language and trying desperately to interpret what's going on, when it's as simple as the poor bloke not giving off what I perceive as the 'right' signals.

I now serve him differently (no eye contact, minimal conversation), which seems to help him, and I can only admire him for managing what must be a frightening experience for him so efficiently. But is it possible that some of these 'hollow people' might suffer from similar conditions, and have shut down all reactions to an extent that neurotypical people can't comprehend?

Perhaps, though personally I've never felt troubled by people with intellectual or emotional disabilities - the opposite, in fact. (One of my sons has ASD). In the case of the "hollow man" from the religious cult, definitely not. He's a highly skilled communicator and has kept a high public profile. It wasn't until I met him in person that I realized that something was seriously "off" about him.

Heh yup, there was a poster on'ere who'd make apparently serious statements which sometimes came across quite offensively. I blocked him at one point because I was getting angry at him. He was on a warning for it.

After a chat I with him I found he wasn't trying to wind anyone up, he was joking, and all would have been well if he'd stuck a smiley or wink or whatever in. But he is non-neurotypical and didn't use those expressions in his daily life, and he expected the nuances to be spotted without them. I explained that we need him to indicate when he's joking or we won't know, and he took it on board.

I've since met him in person and found him witty but deadpan, which comes across well in person, but not online! and we chat most days online. He's still crap at smileys.

I enjoy dry humour. I have a nephew who gets people wound up by saying things they take seriously. He'll say them to me and I just laugh at him. We get along great.

I'm extremely good at sarcasm and non sequiturs. Many people totally miss my jokes. I appreciate the people who get them. One of my friends says I always make her laugh.

Back