• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

I had a Beyond Burger for lunch today. Actually, I had two. The texture is on point if a little coarse for grilled meat. The colour is orangey-red, reminiscent of a rare patty. The flavour is a little bland but something has been added to give it a little bit of a chargrilled flavour. Together with the texture it would be easy to mistake it for beef unless you were really thinking about it. Together with the other accoutrements of the burger (lettuce, tomato, toasted bun and sauce) this is a very convincing product. It was definitely a lot better than the Macdonald's I had earlier.

IMG-20190716-WA0010.jpg

I had a Beyond Burger for lunch today. Actually, I had two. The texture is on point if a little coarse for grilled meat. The colour is orangey-red, reminiscent of a rare patty. The flavour is a little bland but something has been added to give it a little bit of a chargrilled flavour. Together with the texture it would be easy to mistake it for beef unless you were really thinking about it. Together with the other accoutrements of the burger (lettuce, tomato, toasted bun and sauce) this is a very convincing product. It was definitely a lot better than the Macdonald's I had earlier.

View attachment 18912

Three burgers by lunchtime.. that's pretty good going.

Four, if the sausage and egg mcmuffin at breakfast counts.

On reflection, I did eat a hell of a lot of burgers today.
Have you seen the documentary "Supersize Me"? It's an American doc in which the person eats nothing but MDs for a month. Not that I would do that, but it did make me wonder.

View attachment 18912
It looks like an uncooked burger.

Curiosity may provide enough reason for a rare swing by Arby's. Note: Arby's meat is quite questionable, but never tried the meat carrots?
One of my favourite Simpsons quotes. The school children are stranded on an island à la Lord Of the Flies. As starvation sets in, one says "I'm so hungry I could eat at Arby's".

What are plant-based burgers, such as the Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat, actually made of?

Dr. Frank Mitloehner, professor at the University of California-Davis, was a guest on AgriTalk last week where he shared about his recent discussion comparing the ingredients of plant-based meat alternatives to high-end dog food.

“When you look at Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat, they have 21 or 22 highly processed ingredients. So processed, that you are hard pressed in identifying the difference between those items, versus let’s say, pet food.”

Mitloehner explained to AgriTalk host Chip Flory that this is something that many consumers aren’t aware of, and when given the opportunity, aren’t able to distinguish the difference between the burgers and dog food. Mitloehner took to Twitter to further this point.

“Within 24 hours, I had 100,000 people trying to answer that trivia question as to which one of the three is the dog food. The vast majority of the people had it wrong. I find that very interesting,” he says.

"Trivia quiz: following are the ingredients of three food/feed items. Two of them are fake burgers (namely @ImpossibleFoods burger and @BeyondMeat burger, respectively) and the third is premium dog food. Can you pick the latter?"

D-GnJrmXUAIWuON

https://www.realagriculture.com/2019/07/dog-food-or-fake-meat-most-cant-tell-the-difference/

The middle one is dog food.

maximus otter

Last edited:
What are plant-based burgers, such as the Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat, actually made of?

Dr. Frank Mitloehner, professor at the University of California-Davis, was a guest on AgriTalk last week where he shared about his recent discussion comparing the ingredients of plant-based meat alternatives to high-end dog food.

“When you look at Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat, they have 21 or 22 highly processed ingredients. So processed, that you are hard pressed in identifying the difference between those items, versus let’s say, pet food.”

Mitloehner explained to AgriTalk host Chip Flory that this is something that many consumers aren’t aware of, and when given the opportunity, aren’t able to distinguish the difference between the burgers and dog food. Mitloehner took to Twitter to further this point.

“Within 24 hours, I had 100,000 people trying to answer that trivia question as to which one of the three is the dog food. The vast majority of the people had it wrong. I find that very interesting,” he says.

"Trivia quiz: following are the ingredients of three food/feed items. Two of them are fake burgers (namely @ImpossibleFoods burger and @BeyondMeat burger, respectively) and the third is premium dog food. Can you pick the latter?"

D-GnJrmXUAIWuON

https://www.realagriculture.com/2019/07/dog-food-or-fake-meat-most-cant-tell-the-difference/

maximus otter
The calcium carbonate is probably the significant difference.

D-GnJrmXUAIWuON

maximus otter
I could easily spot
the one on the left not being dog food because of the cocoa butter
. The other two was harder.

Last edited:
Soon we will be banned from eating meat in public. Our fightback will begin in a Cromer: a live vegan will be consumed on the pier

Two men who ate dead squirrels outside a vegan food stall in protest against veganism have been convicted of public order offences and fined.

Deonisy Khlebnikov, 22, and Gatis Lagzdins, 29, bit into the furry animals at the Soho Vegan Food Market in Rupert Street, London, on 30 March.

The pair denied using disorderly behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress at a trial at City of London Magistrates' Court in June.

They were found guilty on Monday.

Natalie Clines, from the CPS, said: "Deonisy Khlebnikov and Gatis Lagzdins claimed they were against veganism and were raising awareness about the dangers of not eating meat when they publicly consumed raw squirrels.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-49084466

D-GnJrmXUAIWuON

maximus otter

Mmmmm.....I'm partial to a bit of Methylcellulose.

Anyone else feel like this is the future of food? You know, in a hundred years, when we're all living in space.

Back