• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unknown Wave

When you're very poor, you don't need sentimental reasons to hold onto a ruined pot!
(Not intended to be read with a chiding tone of voice, you understand.)

The question of how the hole formed in the pot is becoming almost as mysterious and intensly interesting to me as the bolt of "plasma". And if the hole was formed on a stove, what did the stove look like afterwards? Especially if they were very poor, a ruined stove would be a bigger problem I imagine.
That I recall... She never mentioned anything about the actual appliance which had caused the hole to appear, that's why I 'assumed' that the damage must have been caused by an electric cooker ring. The daughter never said a word during conversation with her - mother - ("assumed").

When you're very poor, you don't need sentimental reasons to hold onto a ruined pot!
(Not intended to be read with a chiding tone of voice, you understand.)

The question of how the hole formed in the pot is becoming almost as mysterious and intensly interesting to me as the bolt of "plasma". And if the hole was formed on a stove, what did the stove look like afterwards? Especially if they were very poor, a ruined stove would be a bigger problem I imagine.

I think it very likely that the lady threw away the pot after finding out that nothing could be done to repair it!

Concerning what the stove/cooker, might have looked like afterwards 'IbisNibs'... I have no Idea. I imagine it must have at least completely destroyed the electric ring (assuming that that was the cause) and maybe fused the appliance - or the board tripped out? "My electrical knowledge is limited, to a limited understanding of what might have occurred in these circumstances."

Could they have still had one of those ones where it was an open fire, remember the cast iron ones that have the oven at the side of the fire, my grandma used to have one.? And maybe burnt the pot on that

Last edited:
Sorry, you lost me there.

I assumed you were considering the possibility that the pot was made of Zinc.
Sorry, it's because the name 'pot metal' is confusing.
Pot metal
Pot metal, also known as monkey metal, white metal or die-cast zinc, is a colloquial term that refers to alloys that consist of inexpensive, low-melting point metals used to make fast, inexpensive castings. The term "pot metal" came about due to the practice at automobile factories in the early 20th century of gathering up all non-ferrous metal scraps from the manufacturing processes and throwing them into one pot to be melted and then formed into cast products. A small amount of iron made it into the castings, but generally too much iron raised the melting point too much, so it was minimized. There is no scientific metallurgical standard for pot metal; common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast. Due to its low melting temperature no sophisticated foundry equipment is needed and specialized molds are not necessary. It is sometimes used to experiment with molds and ideas before using metals of higher quality. Examples of items created from pot metal include toys, furniture fittings, tool parts, electronics components, and automotive parts.
https://www.definitions.net/definition/pot+metal

Could they have still had one of those ones where it was an open fire, remember the cast iron ones that have the oven at the side of the fire, my grandma used to have one.? And maybe burnt the pot on that
Well, obviously I can't say no for certain, as I don't know. What I can say however is that it wasn't as heavy as a cast iron pot would have been (I have and use several of them myself) and it wasn't burnt black on the bottom and sides - my eighty year old Grand Mother used to do all her cooking on one of those cooking fire grates - that was before she had electric lights installed in her house!

All i can think of then is a more concentrated heat, was someone buggering about with acetylene bottles, to extreme ?

... Concerning what the stove/cooker, might have looked like afterwards 'IbisNibs'... I have no Idea. I imagine it must have at least completely destroyed the electric ring (assuming that that was the cause) and maybe fused the appliance - or the board tripped out? "My electrical knowledge is limited, to a limited understanding of what might have occurred in these circumstances."

I've seen the result of an aluminum pot's / pan's bottom melting on an electric range's red-hot eye / coil - twice.

(Both incidents were circa 40-some years ago, and no - neither was my fault.)

The end result was identical in both cases. The melting aluminum had dribbled / dripped / oozed downward through the electric heating coil and coalesced into a discrete ovoid blob sitting underneath the coil in the recess / well / catch pan below. Both blobs had a vertically-extended thin tail or spike - akin to a slender stalagmite - presumably the "fossil" of the path along which the molten metal had descended and cooled.

Once everything cooled down ... Both blobs were removed as single discrete objects after removing the eye / coil. One didn't even adhere to the metal shield / pan on which it had landed. The other pulled away from the shield / pan easily, but took some of the pan's surface coating with it.

Both then spent years sitting on nearby counters or shelves serving as bizarro mementos and reminders to the idiots who'd created them.

All i can think of then is a more concentrated heat, was someone buggering about with acetylene bottles, to extreme ?
Anything for a cuppa!

Hey! What’s with the focus on pots, metal, and stoves?? The guy had a wavering ribbon of light come out of his hand, ferchrisakes! Anybody interested in that part?
Is anybody aware of similar reports anywhere? I’m not.

Right ... The needless tangentiality was starting to bug me, too ...

Back to the apparent rainbow emanation ...

I'm still waiting to hear answers from Sid about a counter (at which he may have been standing across from the women) before offering an initial hypothesis. Depending on those answers I may still have additional questions.

Right ... The needless tangentiality was starting to bug me, too ...

Back to the apparent rainbow emanation ...

I'm still waiting to hear answers from Sid about a counter (at which he may have been standing across from the women) before offering an initial hypothesis. Depending on those answers I may still have additional questions.

Oops, sorry 'EnolaGaia,' missed that question out answering everything else must have distracted me!
The question of the counter... didn't come in to the situation, as the shop only had a counter just big enough to wrap stuff - we served people face-to-face quite separately away from the counter - I was standing about three feet or so from the woman at the time of my serving her.
Additional info: *The "gap" that the wave jumped across to the pot would have been something like 9 inches or so - not a close distance, that's why it was so vivid in it's waviness, colours and detail (very thin wave).

Last edited:
... The question of the counter... didn't come in to the situation, as the shop only had a counter just big enough to wrap stuff - we served people face-to-face quite separately away from the counter - I was standing about three feet or so from the woman at the time of my serving her.

So there was nothing but open air between you and the older woman? Were you standing near a wall?

One more (and hopefully last ... ) thing ... I'd like to get a feel for your relative orientation to the woman when you extended your hand toward the pot.

Let's use the traditional pilot's way (by analogy to a clock face) of portraying orientation in the horizontal plane. Twelve o'clock is dead ahead of you; six o'clock is directly behind you. What was the approximate direction (by the 'clock') in which you were reaching?

As to orientation in the vertical plane ... Were you reaching out with your forearm extended at roughly waist / navel height (i.e., upper arm hanging straight down)?

And - just so we're clear on this - did you reach for the pot palm-up as illustrated in the sketch?

So there was nothing but open air between you and the older woman? Were you standing near a wall?

One more (and hopefully last ... ) thing ... I'd like to get a feel for your relative orientation to the woman when you extended your hand toward the pot.

Let's use the traditional pilot's way (by analogy to a clock face) of portraying orientation in the horizontal plane. Twelve o'clock is dead ahead of you; six o'clock is directly behind you. What was the approximate direction (by the 'clock') in which you were reaching?

As to orientation in the vertical plane ... Were you reaching out with your forearm extended at roughly waist / navel height (i.e., upper arm hanging straight down)?

And - just so we're clear on this - did you reach for the pot palm-up as illustrated in the sketch?
The sketch I'm sending should give you a better Idea of the orientation 'EnolaGaia.'
*I was standing with my upper arm slightly moved forward, with my lower arm moving out towards the pot the woman was holding. As I'm 6 feet tall and the woman was about 5 foot something my lower arm would have been more or less level yes.
*I would have reached out towards the pot, maybe with slightly more of an inwards tilt to my hand - though, much like my illustration yes.
Shop Plan.png

Probably too far after the fact now, but did you have security cameras running? You could have checked them to see what really happened.

Probably too far after the fact now, but did you have security cameras running? You could have checked them to see what really happened.

I wish... 'GNC.' Unfortunately not.

Nothing helpful to add, just wanted to say great thread! This is the kind of weird story I come here for :)

Glad to know my words have resonated such interest 'Scribbles.'
I can say is that I convey to others on this forum personal accounts of my own weird perceived experiences, even though some of it might well sound a bit 'whacky.' I believe the right way to go about this is to be as honest as you can be about it, and "write it down the exactly the way you have experienced it!"

Glad to know my words have resonated such interest 'Scribbles.'
I can say is that I convey to others on this forum personal accounts of my own weird perceived experiences, even though some of it might well sound a bit 'whacky.' I believe the right way to go about this is to be as honest as you can be about it, and "write it down the exactly the way you have experienced it!"
Absolutely right.

Hey! What’s with the focus on pots, metal, and stoves?? The guy had a wavering ribbon of light come out of his hand, ferchrisakes! Anybody interested in that part?

Is anybody aware of similar reports anywhere? I’m not.

The point about the pans is that pans do not normally form 1/2" holes in them when they are left on a heater.

So not only is the whole experience very unusual, the pan appears to have behaved in a very unusual fashion.

All things that one needs to take into account when investigating.

INT21.

The point about the pans is that pans do not normally form 1/2" holes in them when they are left on a heater.

So not only is the whole experience very unusual, the pan appears to have behaved in a very unusual fashion.

All things that one needs to take into account when investigating.

INT21.
Yes, and the material used to make the pan may have some bearing upon the reason for the phenomenon.

OK, I can't think of any cause right now.

Sid:

One more detail ...

When you reached for the pot, and the rainbow effect appeared - what was the orientation of the pot the woman was holding?

Was it 'right side-up' (bottom down; hole not visible) as illustrated in your first sketch, so that you were reaching toward the side of the pot?

Or was she holding it at some angle that allowed you to see the hole in the pot's bottom as you reached for it?

Sid:

One more detail ...

When you reached for the pot, and the rainbow effect appeared - what was the orientation of the pot the woman was holding?

Was it 'right side-up' (bottom down; hole not visible) as illustrated in your first sketch, so that you were reaching toward the side of the pot?

Or was she holding it at some angle that allowed you to see the hole in the pot's bottom as you reached for it?

Yes 'EnolaGaia, she did hold it (*right-side up) at a tilt in order to indicate the hole in the bottom of her pot (the pot itself by-the-way, would have been something like 10" in diameter - the hole itself - larger than a 1/4" - maximum diameter 1/2," - it was some years ago '). As I wanted to have a better look at the effects from the damage myself, I naturally reached out - took hold of the pot for a closer look - then straight away the woman grabbed back the pot and fled from the shop - "with utterances", because it definitely scared them both very noticeably, and I had a bit of a shock myself at seeing this highly colourful 'plasma' type ribbon flowing out from the ends of my fingertips and into the pot as you can well imagine!"

We haven'f gone potty! Let's be quite honest - some of us are checking the veracity of his incredible story. I don't now doubt that Mr Sidney is telling the truth as he sees it - but if there had been any inconsistencies in his account I may have concluded otherwise. Indeed the slight oddness of the `woman-returning-burnt out-pot-to-a-hardware-store` adds to its believableness rather than the reverse. If he were BS-ing us then I'm sure he'd have come up with a more ordinary background scenario.

I am dying to see what Enola has up his sleeve (arrgh! Pun!) I feel that he has something coming - but it's going to have to be on hell of an explanation if it is to pass this off as some sort of rare natural phenomena!

I would be interested to hear more about these other `strange events and encounters`. in your life that you have also alluded to, Sid.They might not be the same as this plasma -wave thingy - but they could correlate in some way and provide us with some perspective on the case.

I would also be interested to know exactly where and when this event occured. It seems to me you're being a little coy about this, Sid. All we know is that it was a Scottish village in times past. Time and location may or not be relevant but it sure would add a bit of extra human interest to an already fascinating tale.

We haven'f gone potty! Let's be quite honest - some of us are checking the veracity of his incredible story. I don't now doubt that Mr Sidney is telling the truth as he sees it - but if there had been any inconsistencies in his account I may have concluded otherwise. Indeed the slight oddness of the `woman-returning-burnt out-pot-to-a-hardware-store` adds to its believableness rather than the reverse. If he were BS-ing us then I'm sure he'd have come up with a more ordinary background scenario.

I am dying to see what Enola has up his sleeve (arrgh! Pun!) I feel that he has something coming - but it's going to have to be on hell of an explanation if it is to pass this off as some sort of rare natural phenomena!

I would be interested to hear more about these other `strange events and encounters`. in your life that you have also alluded to, Sid.They might not be the same as this plasma -wave thingy - but they could correlate in some way and provide us with some perspective on the case.

I would also be interested to know exactly where and when this event occured. It seems to me you're being a little coy about this, Sid. All we know is that it was a Scottish village in times past. Time and location may or not be relevant but it sure would add a bit of extra human interest to an already fascinating tale.
As I stated 'Zeka Newbold,' this happened sometime after 'The Blairgowrie Incident,' "there's a clue in there somewhere!" Other events will follow at some point. P.S. I'm just as intrigued as you are!

... I am dying to see what Enola has up his sleeve (arrgh! Pun!) I feel that he has something coming - but it's going to have to be on hell of an explanation if it is to pass this off as some sort of rare natural phenomena! ...

Bullwinkle-NothinUpMySleeve.jpg

But seriously ...

I don't refute the story / storyline as it appeared to Sid (and apparently to the women) at all. I'm just trying to figure out whether there's a plausible mundane explanation that fits the circumstances as reported. I'm not trying to debunk anything - as I've often explained, I'm simply "scrubbing" the basic story / report.

The key elements I noticed were that the "wave" displayed a prismatic rainbow-style set of colors, the presentation of this prismatic color was stable (didn't waver or show shifts among the colors), and it exhibited smooth continuous movement from Sid's hand toward / unto the pot the woman was holding.

Based on these elements I zeroed in on a favored hypothesis early on, and I've been querying Sid in relation to refining this hypothesis ever since.

I may as well toss this hypothesis into the ring ...

If there's a mundane explanation, it most probably involves a transient projection of prismatically-colored light into the scene. This projected rainbow light was discrete and stable in content, and it moved quickly but smoothly for a short time before disappearing.

Given the relative locations and orientations Sid illustrated in his latest sketch, the most likely natural light source was in front of him toward his left - in the direction of the door and what I assume was the shop's windowed front.

In the naturally-lit version, the light source was a glint or reflection from or off a moving object - e.g., a vehicle passing by outside the shop. This glint (whatever) was refracted to give the stable rainbow colors - maybe by a window / door glass, maybe via something within the shop. The movement of the original light source and the path along which it refracted / reflected (i.e., optically ricocheted) into / within the shop made it a discrete projected image that moved a short distance in a short time.

This passing projection of a rainbow chunk happened to become visible from Sid's vantage point such that it appeared first at his hand's position in his field of view, and its movement gave the appearance of the colorful "wave" emanating and progressively extending from his hand.

Its termination / disappearance coincided with reaching the pot because either the prismatic projection coincidentally ended or it became occluded by the pot itself.

A secondary possibility for the original light source would be a bright transient flare / optical "burp" in the fluorescent lighting overhead.

A tertiary possibility might have been a sort of chromatic aberration effect from light shining through the hole in the pot's bottom, probably involving reflections off the pot's interior.

My primary guess is that this moving transient rainbow projection was actually moving through its brief path / period of visibility behind / below Sid's hand. This is why I was asking about a nearby wall or a counter over which he may have been reaching.

If the rainbow thingie was indeed appearing in mid-air, my guess would be it was visible as a result of suspended dust. Another conceivable possibility would involve Sid having been wearing eyeglasses (a point I never got around to asking about).

Last edited:
But seriously ...

I don't refute the story / storyline as it appeared to Sid (and apparently to the women) at all. I'm just trying to figure out whether there's a plausible mundane explanation that fits the circumstances as reported. I'm not trying to debunk anything - as I've often explained, I'm simply "scrubbing" the basic story / report.

The key elements I noticed were that the "wave" displayed a prismatic rainbow-style set of colors, the presentation of this prismatic color was stable (didn't waver or show shifts among the color), and it exhibited smooth continuous movement from Sid's hand toward / unto the pot the woman was holding.

Based on these elements I zeroed in on a favored hypothesis early on, and I've been querying Sid in relation to refining this hypothesis ever since.

I may as well toss this hypothesis into the ring ...

If there's a mundane explanation, it most probably involves a transient projection of prismatically-colored light into the scene. This projected rainbow light was discrete and stable in content, and it moved quickly but smoothly for a short time before disappearing.

Given the relative locations and orientations Sid illustrated in his latest sketch, the most likely natural light source was in front of him toward his left - in the direction of the door and what I assume was the shop's windowed front.

In the naturally-lit version, the light source was a glint or reflection from or off a moving object - e.g., a vehicle passing by outside the shop. This glint (whatever) was refracted to give the stable rainbow colors - maybe by a window / door glass, maybe via something within the shop. The movement of the original light source and the path along which it refracted / reflected (i.e., optically ricocheted) into / within the shop made it a discrete projected image that moved a short distance in a short time.

This passing projection of a rainbow chunk happened to become visible from Sid's vantage point such that it appeared first at his hand's position in his field of view, and its movement gave the appearance of the colorful "wave" emanating and progressively extending from his hand.

Its termination / disappearance coincided with reaching the pot because either the prismatic projection coincidentally ended or it became occluded by the pot itself.

A secondary possibility for the original light source would be a bright transient flare / optical "burp" in the fluorescent lighting overhead.

A tertiary possibility might have been a sort of chromatic aberration effect from light shining through the hole in the pot's bottom, probably involving reflections off the pot's interior.

My primary guess is that this moving transient rainbow projection was actually moving through its brief path / period of visibility behind / below Sid's hand. This is why I was asking about a nearby wall or a counter over which he may have been reaching.

If the rainbow thingie was indeed appearing in mid-air, my guess would be it was visible as a result of suspended dust. Another conceivable possibility would involve Sid having been wearing eyeglasses (a point I never got around to asking about).

spanner.gif

This probably complicates things... but I should point out that it was only a few years ago that I started to wear glasses, back then I didn't need them.
Another 'hiccup' is that both women saw the same effect at the same time as myself, so I'm guessing that that, would rule out the image being formed from a stray light refraction, as they where both seeing the exact same thing from the opposite side to myself!
I did feel something of a sensation as whatever it was passed through, but nothing I could actually put into words in a form of an explanation - it was probably just the effects of being totally "gob-smacked" at what had just taken place in front of all three of us I'm thinking.

So did you talk to the women after the event to confirm that what they saw was the same as what you saw??

I don't know why two people would run off saying "I'm not going back there" when seeing this event it doesn't make sense.

Back