• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Deaths

Metal eco-straw kills a woman when she falls over - it pierced her eye, and right through her brain stem: https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/17756782.retired-jockey-died-fell-metal-drinking-straw/

A retired jockey died when she fell onto an eco-friendly metal drinking straw which impaled her eye, an inquest heard yesterday.
Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, who trained at Kingston Maurward College, and was known as ‘Lena’, suffered brain injuries in the accident at her home.
She was carrying a mason-jar style drinking glass with a screw-top lid in her kitchen when she collapsed. The 10-inch stainless steel straw entered her left eye socket and pierced her brain.

This incident dates back to November 2018. I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned here until it mysteriously resurfaced online within the last few days.

The unfortunate lady's inquest was held recently, and the local coroner gave his conclusions and issued a public warning. The local newspaper is also fairly local to me.

The unfortunate lady's inquest was held recently, and the local coroner gave his conclusions and issued a public warning. The local newspaper is also fairly local to me.

Ahhhh ... I see. Thanks for the explanation. It never occurred to me the inquest would have been delayed so long.

Ahhhh ... I see. Thanks for the explanation. It never occurred to me the inquest would have been delayed so long.

On a tangent, it's an interesting system, the Coroner's Courts of England & Wales. They can hold inquests decades after deaths, be scathing in their findings (eg., citing neglect by hospital staff as a cause of death in narrative verdicts) and generally have a fair bit of clout. They can issue opinions and warnings. Anything up to a year post-mortem is normal in a fairly uncomplicated unexplained or sudden death case for an inquest to be held.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was killed by the dogs. 18 dogs would be a huge pack and they'd also killed two of their own.
Especially if they were trained to be aggressive. To control a pack that big, you have to be seen as the alpha dog. If the owner was ailing, it's possible that his status was challenged and that he lost.

Have we mentioned survivalist Ivan Klyucharev yet?
Translated report

He disappeared in a Russian forest in 2017, his body was found recently handcuffed to a tree with various chains and sundry objects around him. Did he kill himself? Was he murdered? He did apparently court extreme situations, so extreme stupidity could have been a reason. But it is a strange one.

Have we mentioned survivalist Ivan Klyucharev yet?
Translated report

He disappeared in a Russian forest in 2017, his body was found recently handcuffed to a tree with various chains and sundry objects around him. Did he kill himself? Was he murdered? He did apparently court extreme situations, so extreme stupidity could have been a reason. But it is a strange one.

No - the case hit the media 3 months ago, and there's no trace of it here on our forum(s).

I can't locate any follow-up news (other than regurgitations / recyclings of April stuff).

I notice one thing, though ... The "amateur Houdini / Houdini wannabe" angle only seems to appear in foreign (non-Russian) news items. I can't tell whether the failed escape stunt hypothesis is something the local authorities mentioned or considered.

The Houdini angle might have been added for spice, but equally could have been an interpretation of the known facts. There is a photo of him online, or his skeleton, anyway, should anyone care to posit their own theory (I won't link to it, it's a bit bad taste).

I can readily accept the idea one could get hit by a wave, fall, and injure oneself fatally. I just don't recall hearing such a story before ...
A North Carolina father of 6 died after being struck by a wave at the beach

A father of six has died after a wave struck him on a North Carolina beach and slammed him to the sand, breaking his neck, his wife said on Twitter.

Lee Dingle, 37, was playing on Oak Island's beach with three of his kids Thursday when the wave knocked him to the ground, Shannon Dingle said. The force of the impact broke his neck and made his throat swell so much that his brain was deprived of oxygen for too long to recover, she said.

He died a day later despite the efforts of some heroes, including their kids, to try to save him, she said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/21/us/north-carolina-father-wave-killed/index.html

Grocery Store Employee Missing For Ten Years Found Behind Store's Cooler.

Workers removing shelves and coolers from a former No Frills Supermarket in Council Bluffs, Iowa, in January discovered a body behind one of them.
The remains were recently identified as those of Larry Ely Murillo-Moncada, a former employee who had been reported missing November 28, 2009.
Investigators used his parents’ DNA to confirm the identity, and the clothes matched the description of his attire at the time he was reported missing, according to Council Bluffs Police Capt. Todd Weddum.
Murillo-Moncada’s parents reported their son missing after he became upset and ran out of their home. They told police at the time that he was acting irrationally, possibly because of medication he was taking, Weddum said.
Officers contacted family members, other law enforcement agencies, nearby detention centers and even the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency — he had been deported to Honduras before making his way back to the United States — but received no information regarding his possible whereabouts.
Investigators now believe that Murillo-Moncada went to the supermarket and climbed on top of the coolers. The space was used as storage for merchandise, Weddum said, and employees would sometimes go there to hide when they wanted to take an unofficial break.
He is thought to have fallen into the 18-inch gap between the back of the cooler and a wall, where he became trapped. Noise from the coolers’ compressors may have concealed any attempts to call for help, according to Weddum.
An autopsy found no signs of trauma, and the case has been deemed an accidental death.

https://fox2now.com/2019/07/23/groc...sing-for-10-years-found-behind-stores-cooler/

EnolaGaia: It appears to have happened several times that someone's neck has been broken by a wave, leaving them quadriplegic. Without help, that could easily turn fatal in the water.

A sad case.

A Spanish pop singer died after being hit by an exploding pyrotechnic during a live performance at a concert.

Joana Sainz Garcia, 30, was performing with the Super Hollywood Orchestra group at a venue near Madrid when the incident happened.

A stage pyrotechnic device exploded near the singer, knocking her unconscious, at about 02:00 local time (00:00 GMT) on Sunday.

Paramedics took Ms Sainz to hospital, where she was later confirmed dead.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49551353

An Australian woman was pecked to death by her rooster. As it happens, she was vulnerable to bleeding out from the small puncture wounds the rooster inflicted.
Woman Pecked to Death by Her Rooster

A woman in Australia who was attacked by a rooster died after the bird's pecking caused her leg to hemorrhage profusely, according to a new report of the case.

The 76-year-old woman was collecting chicken eggs on her rural property when an aggressive roster began pecking at her lower-left leg, according to the report, published Aug. 20 in the journal Forensic Science, Medicine, and Pathology. The pecking lead to a "significant hemorrhage," which caused the woman to collapse, the report said.

An autopsy revealed two small lacerations on her leg, one of which was over a large varicose vein. Doctors concluded that the woman died from "exsanguination" due to bleeding from a varicose vein following the rooster attack, the report said. ...

Varicose veins are usually not harmful. But in rare cases, they can cause complications, including bleeding that is difficult to stop, according to the U.K.'s National Health Service. In a 2012 report published in the journal BMC Research Notes, researchers from Greece described the case of a 66-year-old woman who died from bleeding due to a ruptured varicose vein. Underlying conditions, such as heart disease, may increase the risk of death from varicose vein bleeding ...

In the current case, the Australian woman had several underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.

Attacks by roosters are "very rare," Dr. Roger Byard, a professor of pathology at the University of Adelaide and co-author of the new report, told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC).

"This case demonstrates that even relatively small domestic animals may be able to inflict lethal injuries in individuals if there are specific vascular vulnerabilities present," the authors wrote in their report.
SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/rooster-attack-kills-woman-hemorrhage.html

Flies buzzing in a circular motion in a dusty room - floor littered with empty VB cans.

Unshaven, bleary eyed, Mungoman sits at a table in a nondescript outback Australian kitchen.

Dog walks in and cocks leg on table leg, then walks out.

Mungoman writes an addendum on hand written list on toilet paper roll. Titled, 'things that'll kill ya in Ozz'

Adds - Bloody chooks...(loads the .410).

Woman Dies After Being Struck By Lightning While Jogging In Cemetery

An Ohio woman was fatally struck by lightning Friday afternoon while jogging in a cemetery, officials said.

Danielle Brosious, 27, of Green Township was struck while she was at Spring Grove Cemetery, according to Cincinnati Fire officials. She died later that day.

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2019/0...eing-struck-lightning-while-jogging-cemetery/

maximus otter

An Australian woman was pecked to death by her rooster. As it happens, she was vulnerable to bleeding out from the small puncture wounds the rooster inflicted.

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/rooster-attack-kills-woman-hemorrhage.html

There was a case where a woman died after a cat scratch which became infected. People are also killed by insect stings.
Someone suffering an injury that sets off a calamitous reaction due to a pre-existing medical condition or just poor health might be unlucky enough to die of it.

I've heard a report of a woman being killed by being stabbed through the eye after falling while holding a drink with a stainless steel straw in it.
Can't find the reference just now, but will post when I find it.
A green death?

Here ye go.

A retired jockey died when she fell onto an eco-friendly metal drinking straw which pierced through her eye and into her brain, an inquest has heard.

Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, suffered horrific brain injuries in the freak accident at her home in Broadstone, Poole, Dorset on November 22. She was carrying a mason jar glass with a screw-top lid into her kitchen when she collapsed and the 10in stainless steel straw impaled her left eye socket, stabbing her brain. The metal drinking straws should never be used with a lid that fixes them in place, and ‘great care should be taken’ while using them, a coroner said today. They have increased in popularity to replace single-use plastic straws since David Attenborough’s Blue Planet drew attention to the pollution of our oceans, with the UK alone throwing away 8.5 billion plastic straws every year.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/08/reti...metal-straw-impaled-eye-10132343/?ito=cbshare

Last edited:
I would never use a stainless steel straw anyway, surely they leave a weird taste, like the stainless steel cups do, kinda oilyish. Not that i use straws, unless ive been to the dentish

I would never use a stainless steel straw anyway, surely they leave a weird taste, like the stainless steel cups do, kinda oilyish. Not that i use straws, unless ive been to the dentish
Difficult to clean them, I'd have thought. Hence why people use disposable straws.

Back