• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hong Kong Protests & The Umbrella Movement

Twin_Star

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Wow, don't think there's a thread on this yet which i am surprised/not surprised about. ive search termed Hong Kong / Umbrella / Occupy, so by all means move it into another location if i'm repeating / re-hashing information.

It's in conspiracy as to my mind this is a UK/US led initiative; low-cost / high expectation method to open a further front in the US/China's econo-socio-political conflict that has been gaining pace over the last 18-24 months, most akin to throwing ice cubes under the hooves of police horses.

Benny Tai is almost certainly a UK intelligence asset, soft-soaped from a young age, probably by one of his church congregation in HK as a lad maybe even cardinal Zi Kiun himself, and then fully-fledged during his time at LSE in the late 1980s.

China has made numerous pronouncements that they observe the hand of foreign agencies in this movement, although the western media don't seem keen to report on this element of the developing narrative.

Anyway, theres lots on wikipedia and the web in general, so i shan't cite too many articles but permit me to post one, that i think provides a good overview to the events so far, from the webzine New Eastern Outlook that is clearly a Russian-backed misinformation exercise ;)

The goal of the US in Hong Kong is clear – to turn the island into an epicenter of foreign-funded subversion with which to infect China’s mainland more directly.

Protesters of the “Occupy Central” movement in Hong Kong shout familiar slogans and adopt familiar tactics seen across the globe as part of the United States’ immense political destabilization and regime change enterprise. Identifying the leaders, following the money, and examining Western coverage of these events reveal with certainty that yet again, Washington and Wall Street are busy at work to make China’s island of Hong Kong as difficult to govern for Beijing as possible
cont

bit.ly/1ruEQtD

While I support the Occupy movement ideologically, I'm inclined to think it's achieved very little if anything elsewhere, so an odd choice of tactic to try and stir things up in HK. :?

OneWingedBird said:
While I support the Occupy movement ideologically, I'm inclined to think it's achieved very little if anything elsewhere, so an odd choice of tactic to try and stir things up in HK. :?

It led to Ben Ali being deposed from Tunisian presidency in 2011, although the situation over there is now so complex it's not entirely sure what's been achieved. Likewise for Mubarak and Morsi in the Egyptian chain of events.
Arguably, it facilitated the Libyan Civil War of 2011 which eventually led to Muammar Gadaffi being dragged from a drainage ditch and summarily executed.
It toppled democratically elected Yanukovych from Ukrainian power in 2014.

I understand that many don't see these events as inter-connected and all stemming essentially from the same poisoned well but in my opinion they are. 'McFreedom', 'McDemocracy' are the stated aims of course in all these events, but clearly events demonstrate these are not the outcomes of the protests.

it's a real mess, with every side and vested interest appearing to play both sides of the table at the same time, and quite where we will all end up is not at all clear.

What they have proved, incontrovertibly, is that the political situation they leave behind is far more precarious, chaotic and fluid than the situation that pre-existed them, and perhaps for the moment that's all that is being demanded. Very interesting times...

There is no short cut to civilisation. We need to defend what we have and hope that others make it through the difficulties to join us, not imperil what we have by a misguided attempt to force the rest of the world to behave the same way. Since the 'war on terrorism' starred we have come close to destroying our own system in panic, and we have thrown away hard-won essential elements like the right to trial and freedom of speech.

The idea that the Hong Kong protest movements of recent years have been backed by nebulous Western interests is quite heavily pushed by the Chinese government. You can see it on all the 'wumao' ('astroturfing' propaganda comments, so called as they are supposedly paid five cents a comment) comments on Facebook news stories. As a narrative it delegitimizes the idea that people might want freedom of press, democracy, etc without people put up to it by meddling foreigners.

Now the official wumao line as I divine it from facebook comments on news articles is that the mob are 'Yuen Long local businessmen, sick of protestors disrupting their business'. The other side is that they are triad members who have been paid by government or police to perpetrate violence.

Now the official wumao line as I divine it from facebook comments on news articles is that the mob are 'Yuen Long local businessmen, sick of protestors disrupting their business'. The other side is that they are triad members who have been paid by government or police to perpetrate violence.
Or they are secret police from mainland China?

Or they are secret police from mainland China?
I think it's likely they're triad members but paid by somebody and the police (usually omnipresent) were conspicuous by their absence. Not only were they absent, they didn't pick up the phone, and closed the police station door. So whether the white shirted thugs are paid by the government of China or by the (powerful) punti village elders, the police are deliberately turning a blind eye.

Hong Kong lawmake Junius Ho shakes hands with the white t shirt guys just before the attack:

One of the whiteshirts who shook hands with Junius Ho is married to a police officer:

mqix492h0yb31.jpg

Chief Executive and police commissioner refuse to answer journalist's questions about whether the attack was orchestrated by the police:

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone. I've been too busy with my work at the CIA to worry too much ;) but I'll keep my head down.

Have you witnessed some of the ongoing protests? Maybe you have to go close for work or something..

Have you witnessed some of the ongoing protests? Maybe you have to go close for work or something..
Not really – I saw the beginning of the first one on July 1st but since I've not been in the right place at the right time. Plus I just visited the UK for two weeks.

Pro democracy lawmaker Eddie Chu claims mob plot to assassinate him because of his enmity with Junius ho, the lawmaker implicated in the yuen long triad attacks

At a press conference on Thursday, Chu said a powerful Yuen Long villager told him that “a friend in the underground world” planned to pay someone with a terminal illness to assassinate him. The villager urged Chu not to be on the streets alone, and not to be in contact with strangers, especially those who claimed to be supporters.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/...y-planning-assassinate-yuen-long-mob-attacks/

James,

When first I arrived in Korea, my peasant-level work visa clearly prohibited participation in political activity within the country.

I have no idea whether that is still current here, but I wondered whether foreigners in Hong Kong have a similiar ban.
Not all foreign looking people in Hong Kong are visitors, plenty are born and bred or permanent residents (equivalent to 'citizen')

Not all foreign looking people in Hong Kong are visitors, plenty are born and bred or permanent residents (equivalent to 'citizen')

True.

But I'm sure the pro-Chinese government voices will not be drawing nice distinctions!

True.

But I'm sure the pro-Chinese government voices will not be drawing nice distinctions!

It's worth noting that the U.S. government doesn't draw such niceties either even when it comes to citizens, even to US born elected politicians, described as interfering and told to go home. Ordinary people are being arrested by ICE depending on how they look and have to resort to court orders to get released even when they carry proof of citizenship.

Rumour on the pro-Beijing side is that Steve Bannon is behind the protests (somehow)

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 1.07.01 AM.png

For the record, I'm trying to record all the urban legends and conspiracy theories relating to this moment as they happen. No doubt I've missed hundreds. Because nobody actually knows what's going on it's a hotbed for such things.

Back