• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
You know how it is, you should be going to bed but then you find yourself engrossed in a Stephen King interview:
Interview with Big Steve

It's about Pet Sematary, in all its incarnations, and the history behind it. As usual, this guy is interview gold. Makes me interested to see this remake now.

You might want to add a spoiler warning there. Not only is the fillum brand new, certain plot details have been changed from the book and original movie and they're all in the interview.

His fantasy novel Eyes of the Dragon is being adapted for TV:
More Steve

Same TV channel as 11/22/63 and Castle Rock, so it might be OK. Not that I've seen Castle Rock yet. And EotD is not one of my favourite Kings, either.

It's summer, so time for a King paperback. I chose Lisey's Story because it'll be a TV series with Julianne Moore soon. I liked it, but it was basically a literary Rose Madder with a proper ending. I note he kind of recycled the madman obsessing over a dead writer's last work plot for Finders Keepers ten years later, but no bad thing.

Actually, they're filming The Outsider for TV too, maybe I should give that a go before it appears.

Read Gerald's Game a month or so back and found it painfully slow - probably one of King's weakest books.
The movie adaptation has just become available on Prime and watched it, out of curiosity, last night.
It tones down the sexually explicit material and the gore and rushes the denouement.
A very weak adaptation of a fairly mediocre book.

Gerald's Game was part of King's phase for writing for his female readers, see also Dolores Claiborne and Rose Madder. They're not my favourites, but then they're probably not aimed at me. However, the description of the glove bit in GG has made more than a few readers extremely squeamish and seems to be what most take away from it.

Gerald's Game was part of King's phase for writing for his female readers, see also Dolores Claiborne and Rose Madder. They're not my favourites, but then they're probably not aimed at me. However, the description of the glove bit in GG has made more than a few readers extremely squeamish and seems to be what most take away from it.

That surprises me a bit, as it was quite brutally misogynist and would probably make most women readers very angry!

That surprises me a bit, as it was quite brutally misogynist and would probably make most women readers very angry!

Ah, but unless you're a coldhearted woman-hater who thinks "Poor old Gerald!", you are supposed to sympathise with Jessie all the way, and the more she suffers, the more you sympathise. Like the old girls' comics like Mandy which dished out terrible tortures to their heroines and the little girls couldn't get enough of reading about them.

Children Of The Corn: 2009 TV Movie which is more faithful to the King short story. In an edgier move most of the children are actually under 18. Under the guidance of a boy preacher the children of Gatlin, Nebraska rise up and slaughter all adults over 19. They worship "He Who Walks Behind the Rows", an old Canaanite God. Now a quarrelling couple driving across the USA arrive in Gatlin and are set upon by the kids.

Pretty dark, young boys mostly carry out the killings but girls are also involved. The cornfields come to life devouring victims. The chases in the fields are a life and death matter with the main adult protagonist, Burt (David Anders) killing young kids. He also has flashbacks to his time in Vietnam. Good folk horror. Directed and written by Donald P. Borchers who was the producer of the 1984 version. 7/10.

Children Of The Corn: 2009 TV Movie which is more faithful to the King short story. In an edgier move most of the children are actually under 18. Under the guidance of a boy preacher the children of Gatlin, Nebraska rise up and slaughter all adults over 19. They worship "He Who Walks Behind the Rows", an old Canaanite God. Now a quarrelling couple driving across the USA arrive in Gatlin and are set upon by the kids.

Pretty dark, young boys mostly carry out the killings but girls are also involved. The cornfields come to life devouring victims. The chases in the fields are a life and death matter with the main adult protagonist, Burt (David Anders) killing young kids. He also has flashbacks to his time in Vietnam. Good folk horror. Directed and written by Donald P. Borchers who was the producer of the 1984 version. 7/10.

Does anyone say "We have your woman, outlander!"?

It Chapter Two: Derry, Maine is a nasty place even leaving aside IT, we're reminded of that by a vicious homophobic attack in which the victim is thrown in the river. IT then emerges, after 27 years, to claim the unfortunate as his own. The Losers return to Derry but have to overcome their amnesia regarding past events. IT can be destroyed but it requires a Ritual, each must go through a trance/ordeal to recover artifacts for the Ritual to work. Horror ensues for each individual member.

Mike had stayed in Derry and went through ceremonies with an American Indian Tribe, using hallucinogens he had a vision of IT arriving on Earth from the stars. This is reinforced by the Giger like structures underground implying that IT is an alien entity, making this Scff-Horror rather than Fantasy-Horror. Great flashbacks, especially of Henry Bowers being literally vomited out of a pipe along with corpses. In present day Derry, Henry is sprung from a Psychiatric Prison Hospital by one of his (now) undead gang. Great to have a Zombie driver! Even great horror scenes can drag at times and it would have been a better film with 20 minutes cut. Good fun though. 7.5/10.

Last edited:
What I could never understand about IT was how such a small town could have such a large, almost cathedral-like sewer system. Public works. Your tax dollars at work.

Just started watching Castle Rock. I know Terry O'Quinn tears his own head off in the first five minutes, but it's strangely muted otherwise. Maybe it's a slow burner...

I have a bit of a query concerning Mr King.

In his rumination on the horror genre -Danse Macabre (1981 but updated in 2006) he makes a very dismissive one line swipe against the writer John Saul. Addressing the reader he says something like:

`If your idea of a good horror writer is John Saul then, sorry, we're just not on the same page.` Something like that. (I've got the book, but its a tome and life's too short to find the quotation right now).

This strikes me as odd because King is usually quite genial and tends to explain himself - sometimes rather too much - when he dislikes something. The remark seems oddly...catty.

(For what it's worth, I would plumb for Saul over King anyday: the former is far less self-indulgent and less given too loopy flights of fancy than King).

Is there some bad blood between king and Saul? Or is there something else I am missing?

I have a bit of a query concerning Mr King.

In his rumination on the horror genre -Danse Macabre (1981 but updated in 2006) he makes a very dismissive one line swipe against the writer John Saul. Addressing the reader he says something like:

`If your idea of a good horror writer is John Saul then, sorry, we're just not on the same page.` Something like that. (I've got the book, but its a tome and life's too short to find the quotation right now).

This strikes me as odd because King is usually quite genial and tends to explain himself - sometimes rather too much - when he dislikes something. The remark seems oddly...catty.

(For what it's worth, I would plumb for Saul over King anyday: the former is far less self-indulgent and less given too loopy flights of fancy than King).

Is there some bad blood between king and Saul? Or is there something else I am missing?
Maybe they met and didn't get on?

What I could never understand about IT was how such a small town could have such a large, almost cathedral-like sewer system. Public works. Your tax dollars at work.

My take on this was that the alien/demon IT-creature needed the sewers for its masterplan and was able to nudge the town's more corrupt politicians and business people towards building it, using illegal loans and backhander-subsidies and quiet possibly indentured prison labour.

Would you like to be paid to watch Stephen King films? If so, you might want to answer this company's ad ...
Company offers $1,300 to watch 13 Stephen King horror movies

A Utah-based company is celebrating the impending arrival of Halloween by offering up a horror fan's dream job: Watching 13 movies based on Stephen King stories and documenting the experience.

USDish.com is accepting applications for the temporary position, which requires the winning candidate to screen all 13 movies before Halloween and take steps including monitoring their heart rate during scary scenes and writing about their feelings on each film.

The company chose 13 films, but it will be up to the selected person to decide whether to watch originals or remakes in cases where more than one adaptation has been produced.

The chosen movies are Carrie, Children of the Corn, Christine, Creepshow, Cujo, Dreamcatcher, It, The Mist, Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, The Shining and Thinner.

The winner will be paid $1,300 and will also receive a flashlight, blanket, popcorn, candy and a Stephen King prize package.

Applications are being accepted on the company's website through Oct. 15.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...tephen-King-horror-movies/5701568823442/?sl=1

I note he kind of recycled the madman obsessing over a dead writer's last work plot

This also recalls Misery, save for a couple of vital details.

Back