• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out Of Place Animals

Loving the file photo there, but disappointed that there isn't a video of said wallaby.

So if it hasn't come from any wildlife parks... do people keep these as pets? :conf2:

Nice find! Great Fortean story :)

Loving the file photo there, but disappointed that there isn't a video of said wallaby.

So if it hasn't come from any wildlife parks... do people keep these as pets? :conf2:

According to https://www.thejournal.ie/wallabies-lambay-island-2-3516673-Jul2017/ there is a population of 100+ red-necked wallabies on an island off the coast of Dublin. Owned by the Baring family (Baring's Bank) they were brought to the island in the 1950s and apparently the climate of Ireland is not dissimilar to Tasmania.

Maybe one or two stowed away to the mainland :)

Last edited:

There is a video at the link above.

There is a video at the link above.

Hmm, strange... I can't get one to show up when I click the link. There's just the photo (and text of course).

Now it could be down to one of my add-ons but it's too late at night to figure out which one; but now that I know there is a video, I'll try again tomorrow :)

Hmm, strange... I can't get one to show up when I click the link. There's just the photo (and text of course).

Now it could be down to one of my add-ons but it's too late at night to figure out which one; but now that I know there is a video, I'll try again tomorrow :)

Try going to www.breakingnews.ie, you might be able to run video on the news page.

Oi Ramon! You told us you were down there visiting your Mamy when all this time you were releasing the wallabies!

He's not to be trusted, folks. Lock up your joeys!

Ramon wouldn't release wallabies down among the culchies: they might eat 'em!

maximus otter

Wild Zebras in California

Introduced by William Randolph Hearst who built a collection of various wild animals on his estate. When he hit hard times most were given to wildlife reserves or zoos but the Zebras were just released & now live wild on the land surrounding his ex home. There were 113 in 2016.

Swiss authorities have suspended their hunt for a duck-devouring caiman reported from one of their lakes. They don't disbelieve the report; they've just decided to let it be.
Caiman went: Swiss authorities call off hunt for reptile

This caiman went: Swiss authorities say they’re calling off the hunt for an alligator-like reptile spotted in an inland lake, declaring it “a phantom.”

The meter-and-a-half (5-foot) long caiman was spotted by a fisherman in Lake Hallwil, about 50 kilometers west of Zurich, on July 14 when it briefly surfaced and scarfed down a duck.

Police considered the report credible, saying the caiman — indigenous to Central and South America — was likely an abandoned pet.

But spokesman Bernhard Graser told news site 20 Minuten Tuesday searches have been called off.

He says “he isn’t doing any harm, it’s like a kangaroo roaming around freely here — it doesn’t belong, but it doesn’t hurt either.”

Graser says: “He’ll probably remain a phantom, making it the summer story of the year.”
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/7bee2aff2b5f4711a53f709e244dbfc5

Wild Zebras in California

Introduced by William Randolph Hearst who built a collection of various wild animals on his estate. When he hit hard times most were given to wildlife reserves or zoos but the Zebras were just released & now live wild on the land surrounding his ex home. There were 113 in 2016.
I drove by there once and saw the zebras on the beach. I figured they had something to do with Hearst, and didn't get too excited about it. After all, it's California. (I miss it!)

TARDIGRADES ON THE MOON!

If there were a competition for posting the story containing the most displaced animal in this thread, you've got to have taken the lead.

Also, it's grand to see Ben reach 100,000 subscribers. He deserves them. For anyone unfamiliar with his channel, it's excellent and informative.

Two families of crested grebes and several families of swans in the Rotterdam harbour. And many coots and seagulls. Between the steel, oil and diesel. Nature is resilient.
Imagine that a Dutch nature popularizer wrote in the 1920's >>> "Walked the Dutch countryside for several hours. But I saw a crested grebe!" In those days they were a rarity.

grebes.jpgswans.jpg

Octopus found in Scafell Pike litter pick
The body of an octopus has been found during a litter pick near the top of England's highest mountain.
Dave Ascough, 43, from Stockport, leads mountain walks and found the 20cm (8in) cephalopod mollusc 10m (33ft) from the top of Scafell Pike in Cumbria.
He said: "My first reaction was that someone might have carried it up there, but it's quite possible a bird could have brought it up there."
Volunteers removed 10 bags of rubbish from the mountain during the pick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-23144255

_68504912_68498235.jpg

The body of an octopus has been found during a litter pick near the top of England's highest mountain. Volunteers removed 10 bags of rubbish from the mountain.

“My pet octopus Jeff was like the brother l never had. When he was diagnosed with the tentacular cancer that eventually killed him, he made me promise that l’d lay him to rest somewhere beautiful, with a view. He loved the Lake District...”

maximus otter

Humpback whale spotted in Thames east of London

A humpback whale measuring at least 5 metres (16ft) has been spotted in the River Thames east of London.

“We are 99.9999% sure it is a humpback whale – there have been multiple sightings,” said a spokesman for the Port of London Authority (PLA), which oversees the river.

“It seems to be doing fine,” said Julia Cable, national coordinator for BDMLR. “We watched it doing normal diving and surfacing behaviour. It is surfacing once every five or six minutes, which is normal.”

Cable said there was no indication the whale spotted over the weekend was in any distress and it is hoped it would find its own way out.

She said the animal appears to be swimming as far upstream as Woolwich during high tide, then making its way further downstream during low tide. It was seen near Dagenham on Monday morning.

While humpback whales are sometimes seen off the British coast further north, Cable said it was very unusual for one to be seen within the Thames estuary. “It’s very likely that it just made a navigational error,” she added.

514.jpg

I was wondering if Benny the Beluga was still in the Thames at Gravesend where it's been since July. The closest I've been able to find is this from the Standard, Jan 2019.

Whale still thought to be living in Thames, expert says

The last actual sighting seems to be Dec 14.

The humpback article above mentions Benny the Beluga - he disappeared & it's assumed he made his own way back out to sea early this year.

Tell him you get a BA there, not a Boa.

Snakes alive! Students and teachers flee in terror as 12ft python falls through university ceiling in Thailand
  • Python flickers its forked tongue as it hangs from Thammasat University ceiling
  • Local rescue crew were called and reptile was released into wild
  • Thailand is home to three types of python; the reticulated python, the Burmese python and the Brongersma's short-tailed python
By CORAZON MILLER FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 12:51, 8 October 2019 | UPDATED: 16:22, 8 October 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7549863/Students-teachers-flee-terror-12ft-python-falls-university-ceiling-Thailand.html

Reactions: Jim
Cougars sighted in Michigan -- 900 miles from nearest population

Wildlife officials in Michigan said two recent cougar sightings in the state's Upper Peninsula bring the total sightings for 2019 to five -- and the animals are likely escaped or released pets.

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources said a wildlife camera in northern Delta County recorded a mountain lion sighting Sept. 18, and a camera in southern Marquette County, about 14 miles away, recorded a cougar wandering Oct. 6.

The department said a total five confirmed cougar sightings have been recorded in 2019, and it's unclear whether all of the sightings involve the same animal.

Cougars were once native to Michigan, but the animals were eradicated from the state in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Officials said the cougars spotted in the Upper Peninsula are likely pets that escaped or were released by their owners. They said there is also a chance the cougars migrated from the nearest known breeding population in the Dakotas -- about 900 miles away.
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...s-from-nearest-population/1421571847988/?sl=7

The police will roo the day they issued that alert.

A police force which warned people to look out for a loose kangaroo has admitted it may not actually have existed.

Officers posted a picture on Facebook purporting to show the marsupial in Bulwell, Nottingham.When responses suggested it was more likely to be a deer or "larger than normal" dog, police insisted it wasn't.

But the force has since said: "We've looked into it and nothing's jumping out at us."

The blurry photo of the creature - dubbed the "Bulwellness monster" by the Nottinghamshire Police neighbourhood team, has been shared more than 1,000 times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-50180495

Cat-eyed snake arrives in Purrfleet.

A snake was found in the back of a lorry after travelling thousands of miles from India.

The slithery stowaway was discovered by staff at a freight company in Purfleet, Essex. The RSPCA said it was believed to be an "Indian cat-eyed snake, or boiga, which is mildly venomous". It is thought the runaway reptile had travelled more than 4,700 miles (7,600km) in the lorry, but despite that, it was in good health.

"Staff [at the Essex depot] said the lorry had travelled from India, so it's likely the snake had been on board for more than 7,600km," RSPCA animal collection officer David Eckworth said. "Luckily, this snake survived a very long journey, despite no obvious signs that he had access to food, water or appropriate heat."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50635440

Turtley unexpected.

A leatherback turtle weighing about a quarter of a tonne (250kg) has been found washed up near an Essex river.

A team from South Woodham coastguard found the body of the animal after getting calls from the public. The animal has been taken to the Natural History Museum in London for examination and preservation.

South Woodham station officer Andrew Dale said: "At 1.7m (5ft 7in) long we have no record of such a sighting on the east coast before."

The turtle was found washed up in Mundon Creek, just off the River Blackwater, at about 15:00 GMT on Wednesday. The team reported the find to the UK Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP), which records the discovery of sea creatures such as whales, porpoises, dolphins and sharks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-50784094#

Back