• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Are All The New Ten Pence Coins?

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
I have one X one, dated 2019!* I had to look through my dish of loose change to find it.

The stats are these. 1 x "X" letter; 3 x single lion, fat Liz face (2000s) 6 x single lion, thin Liz face (1990s).

But the overwhelming winner was the double lion design with 22!

I will start looking for them now. :sherlock:

*It took me a moment to work out the clouds and the palm-trees and the galleon of the design were references to Treasure Island and X-marks-the-spot! :pthumbsup:

Last edited:
I’m not the only one then. We get through loads of 10ps now as that’s what our reusable bags are these days. I think I heard of a colleague seeing one once

So where are they all?

I wanted to get a set to spell my name, little chance of that.

Are people collecting them? would that take any significant amount out of circulation?

There are still coin collectors around, I would think, just not as many as there were decades ago. I don't think 10ps will ever replace Panini football stickers.

With new coins, you can buy a whole set from the Mint, or that used to be the case (I have one from the 80s somewhere), so no need to seek them out in the wild.

They really are curiously-absent. My SO has been attempting to collect them, but to no avail...B, C, D & T are the only coins to be found

Are people collecting them? would that take any significant amount out of circulation?
This is such a blindingly-obvious explanation that I feel we must reject it immediately.

Someone better at statistics than I would be able to work out the likelihood of collecting them all through simply getting loose change.

I am trying to collect them (2018 or 2019, I'm not fussed), but even with the help of friends and colleagues, I remain stuck at 4 letters of the alphabet.

Mind you, the supply of interesting 50p and £2 coins seems to have massively dried up this year, too.

I am trying to collect them (2018 or 2019, I'm not fussed), but even with the help of friends and colleagues, I remain stuck at 4 letters of the alphabet.

Mind you, the supply of interesting 50p and £2 coins seems to have massively dried up this year, too.

Did you start collecting coins with the release of these new 10ps or have you been collecting for years?

My most up to date one is a 2016 with the double lions on it.

Did you start collecting coins with the release of these new 10ps or have you been collecting for years?
I used to look out for the old £1 coins. I managed about 40 different ones before we went all trendy and 12-sided - I've got the round ones stashed away. Most unusual is probably a Falkland Islands £1 which appeared in my change a few years back.

I suppose I've been looking out for 50p and £2 coins since I started to run out of new £1s to find. 5 or 10 years, I guess I've been collecting them.

I wouldn't pay over the odds for any of these items - I'm quite happy to accept swaps from friends, but prefer to look for them in my change. Certainly, I don't scour Ebay for over-priced money!

Great reply, thanks @Peripart for the insight into the collector's mind. I find the idea of buying money, like buying a £1 coin for £30 or something, fairly bizarre in itself. I suppose it's the sense of having an artefact that fuels it.

Something strangely 'Bitcoin'ish about the idea.

I too would have liked a Nessie
Ditto-snap, but is it not somehow fittingly-appropriate that the numismatic representation of a rare, elusive perhaps-mythical creature is, in itself, possessed of similar characteristics to its subject?

Something strangely 'Bitcoin'ish about the idea
Britcoinish, yes, but cryptocurrencylike, no. Insofar as these still have a real intrinsic value (well, let's pretend that 'real' money does have that, today)

Never even heard of them
Really? :) <smiles while checking phaser is set to stun...sends text under coffee table 'possible rogue replicant located & under investigation'>

Last edited:
There are still coin collectors around, I would think, just not as many as there were decades ago. I don't think 10ps will ever replace Panini football stickers.

With new coins, you can buy a whole set from the Mint, or that used to be the case (I have one from the 80s somewhere), so no need to seek them out in the wild.
Actually I know a guy who trades in banknotes. He's from the UK but based in Hong Kong. If there's an unusual coin or note, people will often pick them up and sell them to buyers abroad, so you might not see that many in circulation.

I used to have a Channel Islands pound coins - I think it was Guernsey - that had a mobile phone on it! It ended up going to a Russian lad I knew who was keen on coin collecting.

I used to have a Channel Islands pound coins - I think it was Guernsey - that had a mobile phone on it! It ended up going to a Russian lad I knew who was keen on coin collecting.
Isle of Man, IIRC. I might have one of those somewhere...

Channel Island £1 coins are very elusive - when I last went to Jersey, £1 notes were still very much in evidence.

Back