• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worst Movie EVER?

rewatching on dvd this evening, it actually has some charm and minor cool

I'm not saying it's a classic comedy, but it made me laugh too. It wants nothing more than to be blissfully stupid, and I had to admit it more or less succeeded in that aim.

Fantastic epic of a thread, this! Have to make a couple of my own contributions...

As others have noted, Manos: Hands of Fate is so jaw-droppingly awful it's hard to put into words. I think what stood out the most for me was the total lack of any concept of pacing. A scene of the henchman struggling to move a body that drags on for minutes makes you think they just kept filming until the actor finally got it right, then never bothered to trim it down; and don't even get me started on the endless, pointless 'catfights'. I've seen it twice, and both times my brain wanted to beat itself to death on the inside of my skull.

In terms of Hollywood-bad, two films jump most readily to mind - the utterly tone-deaf, noisy, completely misjudged Superman-in-Batman-style Man of Steel (that said, the only Zack Snyder film I haven't hated was Watchmen, and that was purely down to the flashes of Moore peeking through the pointless gloss) and Jurassic World, whose writer-director apparently thought mean-spirited, sometimes misogynistic self indulgence would be greatly preferable to plot or character development; how that film made so much money boggles my mind. Oh, and any Michael Bay Transformers film; pure up-to-11 idiocy, with a side-order of pounding migraine.

As for so-bad-its-good, I heartily recommend the unforgettable Reptilicus, as seen in a revival episode of MST3K, an attempt at a Godzilla-alike that relates to the King of Monsters in the same way as Eddie the Eagle related to other ski-jumpers. It's not the flat acting and baffling 'plot' so much as the heroically terrible 'special effects' - grainy, blurry shots of bits of a vaguely reptilian giant monster, usually behind model buildings and trees, and the single most atrocious piece of compositing - at least, I think that's what it was! - I've ever seen (and I'm a Red Dwarf fan! :p) when it eats a man out of his house. I presume the budget was 'whatever we can scrounge from the back of the sofa and random junk boxes', and needless to say, the MST gang had a field day.

I also vaguely recall, years ago, a brother acquiring a video that purported to be a Bruce Lee movie, possibly a biopic, but was instead the lowest rent kind of cliche chop-socky movie imaginable, with no connection whatsoever to the redoubtable Mr Lee. It might have had something to do with a man carrying someone else's ashes for no discernible reason, but I'm far from sure.

Oh, and if you haven't seen any of the 'jumping vampire' movies out of Japan - wish I could recall names - you haven't lived. Need to be watched to be believed!

Lastly, do yourself a favour and never watch Mac and Me; your soul will be eternally grateful. The horror...the horror...

Oh, and if you haven't seen any of the 'jumping vampire' movies out of Japan - wish I could recall names - you haven't lived. Need to be watched to be believed!

They're from Hong Kong, and Mr Vampire is highly entertaining! They remade it recently, but all gloomy and gritty and with no jokes, it's such a shame how HK lost its knack for movies after 1997.

Lastly, do yourself a favour and never watch Mac and Me; your soul will be eternally grateful. The horror...the horror...

Basically a 90 minute fast food ad, and they're not subtle about it.

They're from Hong Kong, and Mr Vampire is highly entertaining! They remade it recently, but all gloomy and gritty and with no jokes, it's such a shame how HK lost its knack for movies after 1997.

Ah, OK; thanks for the clarification! And really? A serious Mr Vampire (thanks for the name, too) of all things? *shakes head* Guess it's not just the US with a pointless fixation on making things Dark&Gritty(tm). It's gotten to the point I half-expect a Dark&Gritty(tm) reboot of Police Academy to be announced. Full disclosure: I actually enjoy all of that series bar the execrable Mission to Moscow; I'm just that crazy. :fugly:

Basically a 90 minute fast food ad, and they're not subtle about it.

About as subtle as a red-and-yellow mallet repeatedly to the face, and oh sweet mother of deities those aliens. *shudders*

Plus Mac and Me thought it was OK to fling a kid in a wheelchair off a cliff. And...

You expect the horrible little beast to cure the kid at the end, but nope, he just buggers off after getting his fill of fast food and fizzy drinks. He's literally resurrected Christlike by Coca-Cola!

Anyway, most Police Academy movies have a few decent jokes in them, or well-delivered jokes anyway because the cast were better than they were given credit for.

Critics Savage John Travolta’s Career Rock-Bottom ‘The Fanatic’: It’s a Movie That Hates You

From the mind of Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst comes “The Fanatic,” a movie starring John Travolta that reviewers are having a whale of a time eviscerating.

The movie stars Travolta as an autistic man named Moose, whose obsession with a horror film actor (played by whatever-happened-to-him erstwhile heartthrob Devon Sawa) leads him on a downward spiral that results in his using, to quote Wikipedia, “his weaponized autism to fight crime.”

THE-FANATIC-John-Travolta-e1558105314887.jpg

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/c...anatic-its-a-movie-that-hates-you-1202170121/

Sounds like it is going to give Autistics a bad name, that, i do not like, they have a bad deal as it is.

Sounds like it is going to give Autistics a bad name, that, i do not like, they have a bad deal as it is.
Autistics being given a bad name? I think it is a bit too late for that. Weaponized Autism is now a meme.

Weird. His son, Jett, had autism. The Jett Travolta Foundation helps, amongst others, autism charities. Why would he do this?
Maybe he's using it as a fundraiser?

Killer Sofa actually looks quite enjoyable

Ever see Bed of the Dead?

Bed of the Dead: Horror film involving time discontinuity and a carnivorous possessed bed in a Sex Club. Four people trapped on a bed, they get killed one by one by a dark spirit as they try to get off (off the bed that is though they had planned a foursome). The bed was made from the wood of a cursed tree, a sinning monk was hung from it and stabbed to death by his Brethren.

A cop gets in contact via mobile phone with one of those on the bed, but realises that he is several hours in her future. He then becomes entangled in the time loop. Bed disembowels, eats, chops up and makes people see visions. Each of them has a reason to feel guilt, the bed uses this against them. Not bad. 6/10. On The Horror Channel.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4730706/?ref_=ur_urv

Ever see Bed of the Dead?

Bed of the Dead: Horror film involving time discontinuity and a carnivorous possessed bed in a Sex Club. Four people trapped on a bed, they get killed one by one by a dark spirit as they try to get off (off the bed that is though they had planned a foursome). The bed was made from the wood of a cursed tree, a sinning monk was hung from it and stabbed to death by his Brethren.

A cop gets in contact via mobile phone with one of those on the bed, but realises that he is several hours in her future. He then becomes entangled in the time loop. Bed disembowels, eats, chops up and makes people see visions. Each of them has a reason to feel guilt, the bed uses this against them. Not bad. 6/10. On The Horror Channel.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4730706/?ref_=ur_urv
Was that made by the same team who made Hammock of Hades? .. (just kidding, I've made that title up)

Back