• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I think _______ made the money pit

• Captain Kidd (privateer)

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Gangs Of Pirates (Thar be booty in that pit, arrr)

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • The French (just to spite english or americans after their gold)

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • The Vikings (the viking settle ment of vinland it thought to be on the nova scotia coast, which is w

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • The Spanish (If you're worried about prirates and you've lost a lot of ships to a recent raid by the

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • British Navy (on the run with lots of lovely treasure after/dureing the american war of independance

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Native Americans (dosen't fit with the artifacts found but native americans could theoreticly have m

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aliens (Aparently they made the pyramids too :rolleyes: )

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Another Theory?

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • The Templars (after escaping from La Rochelle)

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters
Hi all. Season 7 of The Curse of Oak Island starts on the History Channel on 5th November in the US.

It's one of mine and my wife's favourite shows to watch, despite the repetitive nature. We are both in agreement that it is down to the individuals that are involved with the investigation; Rick and Marty are such likeable guys. We love it when Dave's eyes light up at the mention of the word "Gold". We're always excited to see what "Bobby Dazzlers" and "Top Pocket Finds" Gary is going to find; The lead cross and its likeness to the carving in France is uncanny and still our favourite find.

In a recent discussion about the show we realised that in Season 6 it became a lot more of an archeology show rather than treasure hunting show. I think this is the best way for them to treat it. In my eyes the treasure is the archeology and discovering all the new secrets that are popping up. On many occasions we have said they need Tony Robinson and his team on the Island. I believe that this year is all about the swamp and what it is hiding; I definitely think that it is artificial.

We also think that the real treasure is long gone and spent by the former slave who seemed to make a lot of money for a simple cabbage farmer.

Though nowhere near as entertaining, we have recently watched The Curse of Civil War Gold. It shares the format of Oak Island but is about a hoard of Confederate Gold that is possibly on the bed of Lake Michigan. The hunt has taken the team all over the US though. Lots of Civil War intrigue and shady goings on. Marty Lagina is a producer on the show and is part funding their treasure hunt; Also sending his son Alex on the hunt along with Gary Drayton from time to time. The last episode of Season 2 left us with a massive cliff-hanger in regards to what they find on the bed of the Lake. If you can put up with the voice overs, recapping and the fact that there are a lot of dead-ends followed by the team it's another entertaining watch.
I agree -- it has been essential viewing for me since I discovered it, and the discoveries so far made do seem to show that someone was there doing something, although if the treasure is found to be a vault full of jewels I shall find it an anti-climax. The Templar conection is far more interesting, since they were people who had a good reason to escape Europe and may have had some significant things to hide. It doesn't surprise me that Bacon and the Masons also seem to have entered the frame, as they as well as the Templars were influenced by Middle Eastern esoteric groups, and may all have been privy to some kind of secret tradition.
The one element of the series that really mystifies me is the casual way they drill down to where they think the treasure is then pull up everything at the bottom with a huge mechanical grab. They would look pretty silly if the grab came up with the mangled remains of priceless artefacts -- "treasure hunters destroy the ark of the covenant" sort of thing.

Erm...Found it! Both me and the wife are enjoying it very much. Both of us are interested in WWII history, but had never heard of this before.
All the publicity for it states it is I think 8 episodes and then it actually ends very suddenly after episode 7! Checked American broadcasts and it’s the same. Perhaps THEY don’t want us to know the truth!

All the publicity for it states it is I think 8 episodes and then it actually ends very suddenly after episode 7! Checked American broadcasts and it’s the same. Perhaps THEY don’t want us to know the truth!

Hmm, odd - I'm pretty sure I downloaded episode 8 over the weekend. It's called "Tunnel Found" and was shown in the US on 14th May according to IMDB.

Hmm, odd - I'm pretty sure I downloaded episode 8 over the weekend. It's called "Tunnel Found" and was shown in the US on 14th May according to IMDB.
Sorry got my numbers wrong, add one to my comments. So it was advertised as nine but only eight were shown...

Yes, thats one item of Forteana beaten throughly to death...

Shame, because there seemed to be aspects of genuine archaeological interest...

It is absolutely incredible this show has gone on for this long. It's like ghost hunters and finding bigfoot. People keep getting strung along until the next episode.

One thing that hacks me off is they always take the advice of the latest expert they speak to, not the one with the most evidence, nope just the most recent one.

It’s good that there is a Fortean mystery and they have devoted time to it rather than just ten minutes in single episode. However, I think any treasure is long gone and they keep mentioning it themselves, a former slave living on the island suddenly gains unexpected wealth...

Sorry got my numbers wrong, add one to my comments. So it was advertised as nine but only eight were shown...

Ah the elusive 9th episode. Yes I saw that as well. It seems that this episode was shown in March of this year according to IMDB. I can't find any trace of it though.

^ The post above this. (sorry Mark; no personal)

If there was anything there worth the dig, it is obviously well gone to the ages. Come on, guys.

Ah the elusive 9th episode. Yes I saw that as well. It seems that this episode was shown in March of this year according to IMDB. I can't find any trace of it though.
Yeah it all seems strange. I watched episode 8 and then was really confused the following week which is when I started to dig into it. He ending of episode 8 was not a typical series finale either.

One thing that hacks me off is they always take the advice of the latest expert they speak to, not the one with the most evidence, nope just the most recent one.

It’s good that there is a Fortean mystery and they have devoted time to it rather than just ten minutes in single episode. However, I think any treasure is long gone and they keep mentioning it themselves, a former slave living on the island suddenly gains unexpected wealth...

A recent post on Instagram seemed to hint that they were going back to look at the theory that rock markers on the island aligned with constellations. There certainly seemed to be a correlation when they first investigated it last year. They are going back to the swamp, so I hope that they do go back to some of the earlier theories as well.

5th of November is I believe the US broadcast date for next season. Nova Scotia was recently hit by the tail end of Dorian.

^ The post above this. (sorry Mark; no personal)

If there was anything there worth the dig, it is obviously well gone to the ages. Come on, guys.

No offence taken. I'm convinced Samuel Ball found what treasure there was and spent it. As I've said before, its the additional archeological stuff they are turning up now that interests and entertains me.

I'm interested to see if Dorian has washed anything up.

Yeah it all seems strange. I watched episode 8 and then was really confused the following week which is when I started to dig into it. He ending of episode 8 was not a typical series finale either.

We finished the series last night and that really was a strange last episode for the series. It felt rushed to me. I hope there is a second series as I love underground stuff. I've spent ages watching mine exploration videos on YouTube.

The tunnel they found looked extremely unsafe to me based on the mine expiration videos I have watched. I was very surprised when they all went down the tunnel, but I guess they did have a film crew there. Something that did jump out though is that based on the maps and the scans they did, it looks like they are actually searching in a very small area; No where near as big an area they would have you believe.

A quick 'heads up' to say season 7 of The Curse of Oak Island starts in the US tonight.

No spoilers though please as we here in the UK will probably have to wait until about next February just for it to start <groan>.

Doesn't seem to be many details online, but I think they are starting to dig something out of the swamp this year.

As I've noted before, I love The Oak Island Mystery and the TV show is equally interesting and irritating. However, they film over the summer. If they had discovered anything of significant value or importance then we would have heard about it in the news a few months ago. Which is why we know before the new season even starts that they haven't solved the "mystery".

Which may be why the producers are pushing it more towards an arcehological show with various "experts" and "theorists" thrown into to keep it tantalising.

As I've noted before, I love The Oak Island Mystery and the TV show is equally interesting and irritating. However, they film over the summer. If they had discovered anything of significant value or importance then we would have heard about it in the news a few months ago. Which is why we know before the new season even starts that they haven't solved the "mystery".

Which may be why the producers are pushing it more towards an arcehological show with various "experts" and "theorists" thrown into to keep it tantalising.
Yeah it’s the same with all these shows. Anything interesting and we would have heard about it. Although I too am a fan of this particular show.

Not that I'm aware of but it doesn't stop it being enetertaining as long as you don't take it too seriously
I don't know; people digging (even) a (legendary) hole for 7 seasons doesn't sound exciting to me.

It has kind of turned into an impatient Time Team where they dig for months instead of a weekend, use huge diggers instead of trowels, and frustratingly hardly ever follow up on the good leads for ages!

My friends always make the same point as Ringo. If they'd found anything you'd have heard about it months ago. As I've said before on this thread somewhere, there's a really good 8 episode series in there somewhere.

It's a fun watch though, just to see what eccentric theorists turn up next promising wild treasures. Not much else on anyway. :)

Back